Grado Fan Club!
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #52,292 of 66,262
Looks like Audio Advisor is discounting the GS-e series. Perhaps in anticipation of the GS-x series?

Audio Advisor
Given the change to multiple woods on the RS-1X and 2X I'm very curious to see if that design philosophy ends up in the GS-X series.

Also the price points of the GS series seem a little odd to me: $1000, 1400, and 1800 and aside from the cocobolo the differences are slightly nebulous. I feel like it would make more sense to reduce the wood flagships to 2 and price them at 1200/1800 or 1300 / 2000... more of a Fibonacci sequence like other headphone manufactures.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #52,293 of 66,262
Given the change to multiple woods on the RS-1X and 2X I'm very curious to see if that design philosophy ends up in the GS-X series.
…and with drivers ‘tuned’ to those multi-wood housings…🤔

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #52,294 of 66,262
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #52,296 of 66,262
• Grado has been working with cocobolo wood for a long time. The GH-2 headphone was released in December 2016. Grado has been using cocobolo in two of their top phono cartridges - the Aeon and the Epoch. The GS3000e is Grado’s first use of cocobolo in a “full-sized” headphone. Just recently introduced is the RS-1x featuring maple, hemp, and cocobolo. Jonathan Grado is quoted in the company website: “cocobolo is quickly becoming one of our favourite new woods.”
• It would be a dramatic shift were Grado to cease using cocobolo wood for (some of) their products. One (guess) possibility is that full-size 100% cocobolo headphones make way for full-size cocobolo ‘blend’ headphones 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #52,297 of 66,262
It would be a dramatic shift were Grado to cease using cocobolo wood for (some of) their products. One (guess) possibility is that full-size 100% cocobolo headphones make way for full-size cocobolo ‘blend’ headphones 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Or maybe some other exciting new wood. Those who follow ZMF headphones (I am a huge fan) know that there are so many cool and exciting wood types!

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #52,300 of 66,262
I love the look of Cocobolo too. I do wonder how much of the sound we hear in Grados is from the wood itself versus their various driver "voicing" tweaks. That said the wood choice MUST have more influence on sound in Grado than in most other brands which have decoupled driver mountings and heavily damped wood chambers (an exception being the JVC HP-DX1000).

So far, except for HP-1000, I haven't liked any of the "one material" Grados as much as the mixed cup material models (differing outer cap / inner cup). Haven't heard the hemps though - maybe those are exempt because it's not a homogenous material. I would be curious about a cocobolo outer with maple inner! The maple inner must be working some magic on PS2000e. It's just smoother, cleaner, and more detailed.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #52,301 of 66,262
I love the look of Cocobolo too. I do wonder how much of the sound we hear in Grados is from the wood itself versus their various driver "voicing" tweaks. That said the wood choice MUST have more influence on sound in Grado than in most other brands which have decoupled driver mountings and heavily damped wood chambers (an exception being the JVC HP-DX1000).

So far, except for HP-1000, I haven't liked any of the "one material" Grados as much as the mixed cup material models (differing outer cap / inner cup). Haven't heard the hemps though - maybe those are exempt because it's not a homogenous material. I would be curious about a cocobolo outer with maple inner! The maple inner must be working some magic on PS2000e. It's just smoother, cleaner, and more detailed.
The wood itself does indeed change the sound signature. There is a reason why certain violin's are deemed priceless because of both the wood involved and the maker. More specifically into our hobby, the Fostex TH/R-X00 are the exact same headphone across 3 varying models where the only difference is the wood cup. All three have different sound signatures. A very in depth and knowledgeable source of wood properties for headphones use is Lawton Audio, a good read: https://www.lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #52,302 of 66,262

Your question for driver tweaks is a good one and one Grado never lets out it seems. In the past, it was shown that the same drivers were used across a multitude of models, both metal and wood. The specific headphone 'tweaking' is a new thing.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #52,303 of 66,262
The wood itself does indeed change the sound signature. There is a reason why certain violin's are deemed priceless because of both the wood involved and the maker. More specifically into our hobby, the Fostex TH/R-X00 are the exact same headphone across 3 varying models where the only difference is the wood cup. All three have different sound signatures. A very in depth and knowledgeable source of wood properties for headphones use is Lawton Audio, a good read: https://www.lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html
Thanks for the link! Interesting. Some really beautiful cups there. Yeah that makes sense cocobolo is in type 5 lol. And maple is warmer (type 2). Definitely at least roughly maps to Grado GS3000e / PS2000e with these woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back