Grado Fan Club!
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #52,322 of 65,797
Quick question and maybe no one has experience of?
The 80x leakage is way way more than say hemp or 325x and both the leakage on these are exceptable and useable at work but I won't use them at work, Im soldering , wiring , mechanics plus other messy stuff.
So my question is about the 125x which I was going to buy originally until I got the chance to buy a few week old 80x cheap!
Has anyone had experience of 125x? I have seen virtually no posts or usage of these and was wondering if anyone could compare leakage between125x and any of the above.
Thanks.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #52,323 of 65,797
Congrats and have fun. My SR325x was sounding quite good overall. Running them made a beneficial jump in sound performance a bit after 100 hours. There was a transparency that developed and really helped detail across the board and really opened up the midrange, refinements all. It just sort of bloomed suddenly. Not at all like the slow steady progress that I find the case most always.
Funny thing, the SR325X do seem to keep improving... I was listening to a daily mix off Spotify on my Asgard 3 and Modius and had to force myself to stop listening. Such great bass and details... I kinda want to try a wood model, but I'm afraid of the new combo woods crumbling.

I really should have bought the Head-Fi model when I had a chance... but will anything else be as pleasing as the SR325X?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #52,324 of 65,797
I kinda want to try a wood model, but I'm afraid of the new combo woods crumbling
I would still give it a go, I have hemp and I'm going to get rs1x but I'm thinking of brushing another layer of Matt laquer/ varnish on both to be on the Safe side... this is i think what grado have done on the hemp anyway but it will just give it a bit more bond, plus if its a humidity, moisture drying out problem it should help by sealing it more.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #52,325 of 65,797
Funny thing , I have been wondering why o ebay UK the new Sr60x and Sr80x seem to be going for about sane price ? Yet back in the day the sr80 was always about £20 more than the sr60.
Do want to reiterate the 80x are astounding for the money though, so comfortable and light with excellent audio thats definitely punching above, and honestly truthfully would be my go to rec for anything under a couple of hundred....if you can live with the leakage.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #52,326 of 65,797
Funny thing , I have been wondering why o ebay UK the new Sr60x and Sr80x seem to be going for about sane price ? Yet back in the day the sr80 was always about £20 more than the sr60.
I had a right result to be honest only paying £50 and there like brand new!
But I am undecided just because of the leakage and what I bought them for, I have better Grado at home so they may not get used at home and honestly I like em ...a lot! So a dilemma , I know I will get my money back easily if decided to move on again but where else am I going to find a pair of cans this good for £50? Simple answer I'm not! Sooo there's my dilemma , I do reckon there too leaky for work but I will try them out over the next week and have a think , maybe mod them ... maybe

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #52,327 of 65,797
Quick question and maybe no one has experience of?
The 80x leakage is way way more than say hemp or 325x and both the leakage on these are exceptable and useable at work but I won't use them at work, Im soldering , wiring , mechanics plus other messy stuff.
So my question is about the 125x which I was going to buy originally until I got the chance to buy a few week old 80x cheap!
Has anyone had experience of 125x? I have seen virtually no posts or usage of these and was wondering if anyone could compare leakage between125x and any of the above.
Thanks.
How would you compare the Hemps to the 325x sound wise?

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #52,328 of 65,797
How would you compare the Hemps to the 325x sound wise?
Mmm this for me is a difficult one....i do prefer the hemp overall, there more refined and more natural ,I also think possibly more smooth and better clarity but as sort of mentioned a few posts back this could be because 325x are more revealing and not as smoothed out , the reason i say this is i listen to a lot older recordings , Zeppelin , Floyd etc etc all remastered 24 bit (yes jt still depends on mastering/recording) but when I listen to more modern recordings say as an example lumineers then the 325x are a lot better , seem to be a lot smoother , Maybe they just pick up more detritus ???? This I'm still contemplating.
I like them both very much though, hemp for acoustics and vocals and 325x for when I want to kick things up a bit ,say the white Stripes.
But the hemp are amazing! so natural so smooth and a joy to listen to and out of the two the better can for me .

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #52,329 of 65,797
Ok so update on my 4 4 modding ...I put a 4.4 on my sr325x today and when finished well I didn't like it , now I don't know if it was an error on my part but the sound had completely lost everything! Infact I thought I may have some how damaged the drivers??? But thought unlikely ...
First of all grado I hate you ...the cable is soooo thick I struggled to get it in the housing all though it did go in the end, then my next problem working out which out of the 4 blue wires was left and right, 2 of each..I did this checking ohms as per the excellent advice given and thought 100:% I had got it right but when I was doing it which was fiddly i thought a couple of times it was reading the same any combo and put it down to rubbish operator... finally i got to where I thought it was correct and obviously double checked, now I work in this field wiring etc for years and I'm used to checking for continuity etc etc and doing this type of work is second nature, I also have built many cables 4.4 etc etc so I don't think it was mistake on my part although human error is always possible, being honest my meter is a cheap pile of .... So it could have been my meter.
Soooo i reterminated a 3.5 back on and absolutely fine .
There is one bonus though . .the 3.5 I put back on is real quality and I actually think it has smoothed them out a bit and not just placebo

Maybe as a previous post had put grado are not necessarily good balanced. 20220416_122627.JPGbut I'm no expert so take with a pinch of salt.
20220416_140106.JPG

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #52,331 of 65,797
Ok so another update , just changing the 3.5mm on the 325x has I think made a difference to these cans, the connector used was a plusound connector, I feel theres not quite as much distortion a more tighter sound and maybe treble not quite as shrill at time's ... could be me but I do think it's there, Shame I can't A/B .
I'm honestly enjoying these more and I might have to do the hemp. also the connector has a lip for recessed connection and a lot more user friendly
https://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/...SSOUND-Gold-Plated-3-5mm-TRRS-Plug-p250637633

But I also have some better rhodium 4.4 coming and maybe try again depending on possible answers .....I was wondering if any of you DIYers could answer this, if I had accidentally mixed the negatives i.e right and left in pairs would the drivers still play on a balanced circuit? Could this be why it sounded well awful! Or is it as another headfier said about not good balanced???? Could it have been a mixed up reading on the meter hence wrong negative termination resulting in playing but not good .

Life the universe and everything.

I don't really have experience of grado headphones much and I have only built iem cables and ones for hifiman
Thanks guys for any input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back