Grado Fan Club!
Apr 16, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #52,352 of 65,796
ok I expect the pads to soften with use, has anyone compared the 325x with the rs1e?
Usually the discomfort is not because of the pads, but from excessive pressure from the headband on your ears.

If it's the scratchiness of the pads that bothers you, many people soak them in water them dry with a fan to make them softer

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #52,353 of 65,796
The seller was located in Brooklyn so likely an employee or ex. Should have posted it at $499 auction not BIN. Granted no box but still, someone got a steal imo.
Son of a biscuit, those are the Grados I most want to audition. The only closed backs made. I get a feeling they don't sound great based on how Grados sound when I put my hands over the cups, but we can dream :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #52,354 of 65,796
Son of a biscuit, those are the Grados I most want to audition. The only closed backs made. I get a feeling they don't sound great based on how Grados sound when I put my hands over the cups, but we can dream :)
I had a pair for a few months because, like you, I had to hear Grado's only semi closed-back. They are special I do agree. They are the lightest Grado I have owned and have the best stock headband I would say. The sound is very good, good bass. I would say it is close to Hemp and GH2 but not better. It is a collector's headphone no doubt about it. I don't miss it with having a GH2.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #52,355 of 65,796
Ok another update on the 325x ... retried the continuity of all 4 negative blue wires and they are all connected in some way! In other words the negatives which would normally be seperate on each driver are linked in some way to each driver, now this on 3.5 mm is/would not be an issue as they are all connected to the same terminal on the 3.5 jack ,so both drivers would still be connected but at 3.5 jack end (hope this makes sense)
So if it is at all possible to balance these you would probably need to rewire completely or at least go into the cups and make sure no link between negatives ...and maybe because of the way they are wired in the first place it might not benefit at all or work well .
Mmmmm

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #52,356 of 65,796
When you put your hands over the cups, there are no bass ports. If you close the backs of a grado, you'd have to tune them to get them to sound decent. Based on @qua2k impressions, they likely did tune it so it sounded good.
I had a pair for a few months because, like you, I had to hear Grado's only semi closed-back. They are special I do agree. They are the lightest Grado I have owned and have the best stock headband I would say. The sound is very good, good bass. I would say it is close to Hemp and GH2 but not better. It is a collector's headphone no doubt about it. I don't miss it with having a GH2.
I looked up the listing, and the headband looks identical to my RS2e headband. Is there something else different about it that's not apparent from the pictures?

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #52,357 of 65,796
the 325x is a great headphone but the inconvenience of the pads is tremendous, advice?

I was startled by the comfort when I took it out of the box. Couldn't use it for 20 min. Give it some time, today mine is totally comfortable and I can wear it for hours. Now the difficulty is to get him out of his head, very addicted. And I think the F pads are crucial, tried different ones and they ruined the sound for me. I am of the philosophy that John knows exactly how to do. :wink:

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #52,358 of 65,796
You should open and the headband so it doesn't press against your ears so much. Basically, the cups should be wide apart so it fits your head between them.

Don't worry. It's a metal piece inside de headband, you can bend it. Just go slow
My flat pad Grados are among my most comfortable I have but the above instructions are crucial to getting them comfortable. The pads actually do their own breaking in.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #52,359 of 65,796
The driver itself is only part of the equation. Matching with the different materials and woods (where it applies) and what treatment or modifications to the driver along with any damping that may be utilized to achieve the sonic results desired. The PS2000e took well over a year of development and fine tuning to bring to the market the performance that eclipsed all that went before it.

Headphones are more than just their parts like many fine things in life.

I have both the PS2000e and the GS3000e. In my opinion they are/were both price tiered right where they belonged and you got what you paid for. A nice habit on Grado’s part and a tradition that began right after Joe Grado first opened for business.
How would you compare the GS1000i to the GS3000e? PS1000e and the GS3000e? I have a chance to get a GS3000e but have never listened and wanted to make sure they were different enough from what I have to justify.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #52,362 of 65,796
Grado time!

Attachments

• 5CF154BA-646D-4CAD-A2DB-3F32FFF75009.jpeg
    5CF154BA-646D-4CAD-A2DB-3F32FFF75009.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #52,363 of 65,796
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #52,364 of 65,796
Always in the evening :wink:
Feeding them with 7.5w( low gain, 1X 0db)
Bass go so deep/perfect control.
Never heard my Grado this way before…
They rock non stop! Music I never liked before,sounds good!

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #52,365 of 65,796
I got a new amp on Monday (LD MK9), and used it with the GH2's every day since. I really enjoyed the combo all week. Great bass, very good mids and some soft treble. It was a great match. You do not get the greatest detail with this set-up, but it does/can win you over with its sweet sound. So far this amp is one for one, with me.

Different headphone up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back