Grado Fan Club!
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #52,381 of 66,258
Hi all. My Grado GS1000i have been listed in the classifieds :wink: (EU, UK sale only).
I have added a spair set of Grado G-cush to the adv. Price remains as it was :wink:.

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #52,382 of 66,258
I was wondering just out of interest what other grado you have that you compared them too? Thanks
Currently, I have Hemp and SR225e.
Earlier I had the RS1e and the golden 325i.
Way long time ago I had the GS1000 but I no longer remember them well enough.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #52,383 of 66,258
I promise you I checked and double checked wired and rewired twice...i do this work for a living for nearly 25 year's my company wires for naim audio, built tons of cables for iems....In the end I took all 4 blue wires no connector just strippped ends and checked for continuity out of frustration because I couldn't determine which and literally buzzed out all 4 wires and each time I did they ALL beeped for continuity, so this definitely means they are linked and probably at the Y split or there is a short but very very unlikely as ALL 4 buzzed out , could understand 3 but 4 to short no ...
So you see as my posts determine if using 3.5 mm this wouldn't make a difference but balanced would ..I'm confident in this that I would even video with me and meter and all 4 blue negatives showing continuity ..... connector at the end makes no difference in this test even though it was 4.4 pentaconn which I have wired numerous times.

The only other thing is dodgy cheap meter but it still wouldn't buzz out for continuity surely??? That's just a circuit.
I do want to say I do understand your post, EVEN I thought I must have done something wrong or dodgy meter when checking ohms which is why I checked for continuity , 2 should buzz out each side not all 4 which lead me to believe they have to be linked somewhere and probably in the Y split.

But as you and I know this would be extremely unusual?? And unlikely so it's got me stumped???
Okay

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #52,384 of 66,258
The only other thing is dodgy cheap meter but it still wouldn't buzz out for continuity surely??? That's just a circuit.
I do want to say I do understand your post, EVEN I thought I must have done something wrong or dodgy meter when checking ohms which is why I checked for continuity , 2 should buzz out each side not all 4 which lead me to believe they have to be linked somewhere and probably in the Y split.

But as you and I know this would be extremely unusual?? And unlikely so it's got me stumped???
Yeah it must be at the Y Split which is extremely bizarre. I guess if the objective was to save money or reduce weight, you'd use less conductors from the TRS to the Y split and then splice them, but the labor cost would vastly exceed the cost of a few wires running a few feet.

Another thought is redundancy if a few of the ground wires failed below the Y split, but that would be extremely unlikely to happen. I never really understood the need for 8 conductors with such efficient drivers so I just assumed it was a marketing exercise to make models new and "better", but this is confusing as well. The last possibility that I can think of is that they didn't want end users balancing their headphones easily so they'd need to purchase the $170 option, which is the only thing that seems rational to me.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #52,385 of 66,258
Yeah it must be at the Y Split which is extremely bizarre. I guess if the objective was to save money or reduce weight, you'd use less conductors from the TRS to the Y split and then splice them, but the labor cost would vastly exceed the cost of a few wires running a few feet.

Another thought is redundancy if a few of the ground wires failed below the Y split, but that would be extremely unlikely to happen. I never really understood the need for 8 conductors with such efficient drivers so I just assumed it was a marketing exercise to make models new and "better", but this is confusing as well. The last possibility that I can think of is that they didn't want end users balancing their headphones easily so they'd need to purchase the $170 option, which is the only thing that seems rational to me.
You have totally read my mind and I too concluded that maybe this is the reasoning for 8 cores and not 4 ... this design if we are right in our theory makes me understand why possibly the cable is sooooo thick as it obviously would be before Y split .. if we are correct in out assumption that is, but truthfully I can't really see any other reasoning.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #52,387 of 66,258

There is one way of truly checking and maybe balance at the same time...cut the y split off and re terminate left and right negative at y split so totally separate , this is doable and a lot easier than it sounds but the cable is quite short as is and every time you you do this stuff with moulded parts your losing length, all though I do try and save when doing this stuff by cutting away mould but anyone who as done this knows it's so easy to nick a wire.
Il have a think and maybe do it .. maybe

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #52,388 of 66,258

Thinking again it could be a cost thing , doubling up , quading the same cable to get the results they want to achieve...one supplier one cable rather than 2 different guage, pre and after Y split mmmm ...if we are correct in the first place that is.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #52,390 of 66,258
You could just remove the cable Y split and below (as you mentioned), then terminate to a mini 4 pin XLR. Then you can make a mini XLR to 4 pin XLR at the length you need and it would be easy to change it later.
Ingenious! Great idea .... The Y split is so chunky anyway it really wouldn't be so different, maybe to some not so as easphetically pleasing but it would mean you could swap out very easily ...il have a think my friend :relaxed:

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #52,391 of 66,258

You have totally read my mind and I too concluded that maybe this is the reasoning for 8 cores and not 4 ... this design if we are right in our theory makes me understand why possibly the cable is sooooo thick as it obviously would be before Y split .. if we are correct in out assumption that is, but truthfully I can't really see any other reasoning.

Thinking again it could be a cost thing , doubling up , quading the same cable to get the results they want to achieve...one supplier one cable rather than 2 different guage, pre and after Y split mmmm ...if we are correct in the first place that is.

You could just remove the cable Y split and below (as you mentioned), then terminate to a mini 4 pin XLR. Then you can make a mini XLR to 4 pin XLR at the length you need and it would be easy to change it later.
I've balanced every Grado I've owned (except my 325is) as well as other members as well without any issues whatsoever.
There is no reason, at all to open the cups or the the Y splitter. I check that my grounds are completely separated from each other before and after terminating to balanced 4-pin XLR, which they are. I don't know what you're doing, but I would start from scratch because there should be no issues being this is a very simple procedure. If you're unsure of you DMM why not use a DMM from work to be sure yours is working correctly?

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #52,392 of 66,258
I've balanced every Grado I've owned (except my 325is) as well as other members as well without any issues whatsoever.
There is no reason, at all to open the cups or the the Y splitter. I check that my grounds are completely separated from each other before and after terminating to balanced 4-pin XLR, which they are. I don't know what you're doing, but I would start from scratch because there should be no issues being this is a very simple procedure. If you're unsure of you DMM why not use a DMM from work to be sure yours is working correctly?
Have you done so with any of the newer X models with the new cable?

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #52,393 of 66,258
Another favorite

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #52,394 of 66,258
I have sent my GH2 off to Christian @ PlusSound to re-terminate the end to 4.4. They are working on it now, I should have it back this week.

I am thinking since majo123 is doing it with the new 325x, that they changed the internal wiring somehow?

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #52,395 of 66,258
I agree it should be Very simple, but I can't avoid the continuity ,it's clear you know what your doing also and yes I will try another meter from work but I would be very surprised if it was the meter as impossible really to get a continuity buzz unless they are indeed connected ?? ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back