Grado Fan Club!
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #52,396 of 66,258
Hey guys! Used to have some sr80i cans and miss having a pair of grados now that I'm back in the hobby. I found a pair of PS500 for ~$400 and was curious what you think! I'm interested in 325x and rs2x as well, but wanted to hear opinions. I listen to all types of music but the enhanced bass response is of interest to me. Please let me know your thoughts! Source is a dx300 dap and I have a pair of UM MEST as my daily drivers today

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #52,397 of 66,258
guys thanks for all your input , I appreciate every feedback on my issues with the 4.4 , firstly there can always be human error and I am as human as the next person however much I have done this before ... it is very unusual as we all agree, I have checked for continuity 3 seperate time's and same results with the same meter with jut bare strippped wire nothing i could of done no connector In the mix....as the guys who know this stuff know when "buzzing out" for continuity you are just checking for a circuit so I think possibly not the meter as how would it "buzz" with no circuit???
anyway my friends no drama and I really don't have time at the moment to possibly work out what is going on , so I'm sorry we are going to have to put this on hold to find out the cause , all I do know is it's back to 3.5 mm and sounds excellent !

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #52,399 of 66,258
OK Grado Fan Club, queue HERE for THIS ! 😳🤣🤣🤣:
DB2DAF73-8E82-4948-B013-ED1853DCAAFB.png

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #52,401 of 66,258
Ok guys last post about this for now....I decided to check the meter to see if it beeped using two non connected items and no continuity .... I honestly don't think its the meter.
I am extremely busy at the moment with one thing and another and just don't have the time really to experiment probably for the next couple of months, even though as you can see from my barrage of posts I'm desperate to get to the bottom of this one :relaxed: ..... totally irrelevant I know but I have some health issues and other commitments to contend with so please bare with me as I want to give feedback on this so anyone else can happily do it 😜
Thanks guys.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #52,403 of 66,258
Have you done so with any of the newer X models with the new cable?
No I haven't. I'll be receiving a donor X series cable in the near future to fit to my PS1000 which I'm going to terminate to 4-pin XLR and I'm 100% sure I will not have any issues. I very highly doubt Grado changed anything in their wiring configuration

I have sent my GH2 off to Christian @ PlusSound to re-terminate the end to 4.4. They are working on it now, I should have it back this week.

I am thinking since majo123 is doing it with the new 325x, that they changed the internal wiring somehow?
No I haven't. I'll be receiving a donor X series cable in the near future to fit my PS1000 with, which I'm going to terminate to 4-pin XLR and I'm 100% sure I will not have any issues. I very highly doubt Grado changed anything in their wiring configuration.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #52,404 of 66,258
No I haven't. I'll be receiving a donor X series cable in the near future to fit to my PS1000 which I'm going to terminate to 4-pin XLR and I'm 100% sure I will not have any issues. I very highly doubt Grado changed anything in their wiring configuration

No I haven't. I'll be receiving a donor X series cable in the near future to fit my PS1000 with, which I'm going to terminate to 4-pin XLR and I'm 100% sure I will not have any issues. I very highly doubt Grado changed anything in their wiring configuration.
Ok I genuinely don't really have time to do this at the moment but I feel i need too......
I have videoed exactly what I have been saying all along.
Just trying to find a way of getting it to you guys

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #52,405 of 66,258
If anyone would like to view this video please PM me your email as the file is too large for the servers for me to upload. ....it's midnight in the UK and I am back to work at 5 am so please if interested let me know and I will send the confirming video tomorrow .
Thanks guys .

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #52,408 of 66,258
I don't know anyone else who would appreciate it..... But my Grado family will. Listening to Qobuz Electric blues via the Bifrost2 into the OTL Feliks Audio Espressivo with my 325x. OMG. I'm so enjoying this. Grado's.... You get them, or you don't!

Leo

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #52,409 of 66,258
Hey guys! Used to have some sr80i cans and miss having a pair of grados now that I'm back in the hobby. I found a pair of PS500 for ~$400 and was curious what you think! I'm interested in 325x and rs2x as well, but wanted to hear opinions. I listen to all types of music but the enhanced bass response is of interest to me. Please let me know your thoughts! Source is a dx300 dap and I have a pair of UM MEST as my daily drivers today
I've not heard the PS500, so I can't comment on that. I can say that the 325x seems to ME that the bass is more pronounced than the SR80 for sure. Also, more than the Hemps, and actually more than the RS1x. The difference between the 325x and the RS1x (at least to me) is that the RS1x has a more "balanced" tuning from bottom to top than any of the other Grado's I've owned or listened to. But you pay for that tonal "smoothness". The 325x is a tremendous value punching above it's weight (YMMV).

Leo

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #52,410 of 66,258
There you go guys hopefully you will be able to see what I have been saying all along.... adiós amigos , up in 5 hours .. catch you tomorrow.
First of all: Get well soon.
I didn‘t watch the dropbox file, I simply trust in your competence. Just thought this thing through.
Grado has not, by 99% certainty, manipulated the cable to complicate the balanced rewiring. So the 8 conductor is 2 white wires (connected (at/to the driver)) 2 blue wires (connected (at/to the driver)) - right side. 2 red wires (connected (at/to the driver)) 2 blue wires (connected (at/to the driver)) - left side.
(Maybe the unusual use/swap of red and white is a kind of trademark. I once peered in all of my Grado cups, it‘s with all of them.)
@grado labs: please use 2 blue and 2 black wires in the future. Your loyal customers and dealers will be thankful.
What we learned is, that 2 blue wires are always interconnected (at/to the driver) so the whites and 2 of the blues will always ‘beep‘ if you measure ‘pass‘. Or in the way I prefer it, will always show 28-40 ohms. Same with the reds and the 2 other blues. (Love blues!)
The, I guess, most effective rule of deduction is, the most simple cause/reason is the most likely, because it is the easiest way for things to occur (, thereby the most probably one).
At least 2 of the blues from different drivers are connected. The insulation damaged.
Above Y-splitter impossible, so:
- bad end control by manufacturer. Possible, but never heard of. (3. most probability)
- the cable was somehow extremely twisted/flexed (2. most probability)
- the outer insulation was cut slightly to deep while cutting the plug.
My suggestion:
Sacrifce another inch before resolder to 3.5mm plug.
You will automatically be even more careful then on first try. Just for the will to succeed.
If it works, don‘t get angry with this crap. Sometimes it seems as if all the several gods of destiny let us trip, not even if, but because we do what we can do best.
Seems to be their kind of humor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back