Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #42,211 of 65,575
Following this post with interest. As a fairly lightweight pair of cans, I'd love to add a detachable cable to The Hemp Headphone.

I recently did a detachable cable mod on a pair of SR125e and I'm now able to use the excellent 2.5mm balanced Meze 99 cable with them.

I think that the best course of action for The Hemp Headphones will be to apply heat to the cups to loosen the glue that seats the driver in the maple section of the cups. Next, wiggle the driver out, and use a reamer tool to widen the cable hole enough to seat a 3.5mm mono jack in the hole. Then, snip the cable and solder the wires to the 3/5mm mono jack tip/sleeve terminals. Voila.
The hard part is not to melt the drivers while trying to heat the cups.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #42,212 of 65,575
yeah, i have read the stories of melting sensitive parts on the drivers and wanted to avoid all that. I could try a blow dryer, but not sure its worth the risk...too bad for all the glue!

Although if I did melt the drivers then I could always swap in some symphones v9 :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #42,213 of 65,575
I’m so conflicted by this discussion lol.

First of all, I'm really interested and tempted to buy the Hemp. It seems to be a great all arounder and the negatives mentioned don't seem bad enough to overlook it.

Second -- people physically modding the cans made of two different types of woods with one being a new composite and potentially messing up such a good headphone worries me.

Third -- I'm a tech geek / modder / tear crap apart and experiment kinda guy...

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #42,214 of 65,575
Yike! To me, cutting Grado cables, reaming earpieces, and heating with a heat gun give me the same sick-to-my stomach feeling I get when thinking about doing these things to a human!

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #42,215 of 65,575
image.jpg

decided to take the “safe” route and use s little heat.
image.jpg
Still A bit of glue to remove from the cups, but a little resanding and they will be good as new.

interesting how they color the back of the silver driver housing with dark paint/marker.

image.jpg

edit:
Good as new
image.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #42,216 of 65,575
The GS2000e's driver can't do sub-bass. The GS3000e can but needs EQ to reach down. The GS3000e can also slam mid-bass harder due to the cocobolo. Also the GS2000e has significant treble grain that can't be EQ'd out. I noted all this in my comparison review.

I did read your review back when posted - it is very good and appreciated. I thought that I might be able to EQ the down the treble spike, but (as you mentioned in your review) I'm one of those whose high-end hearing has deteriorated. So the spike is not as irritating as it might be for others.

But maybe it's not the spike you're talking about, but grain. I'll take a closer listen for that.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #42,217 of 65,575
How would you all handle this? I emailed my local dealer about checking out the GS3000e. They like appointments. No reply. So I called and spoke to someone and was told they were out of stock. Might get a set in today. Nothing about can we get your name, number... Emailed early today... no reply and still no reply to my original email from a few days ago.
I'm thinking a quick $1,800 sale is not worth much anymore locally

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #42,218 of 65,575
How would you all handle this? I emailed my local dealer about checking out the GS3000e. They like appointments. No reply. So I called and spoke to someone and was told they were out of stock. Might get a set in today. Nothing about can we get your name, number... Emailed early today... no reply and still no reply to my original email from a few days ago.
Some dealers only want multi-thousand dollar transactions. Most of them are used to sell complete speaker systems, a single pair of headphones isn't much.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #42,219 of 65,575
My guess? That local dealer does NOT have the GS3000e, does not particularly care about good service, and hence Grado is not all that excited about filling his special orders.

Instead, I suggest you get them from Todd the Vinyl Junkie (TTVJ) or the Grado store 4ourears. Like a (good) local dealer, they are like family, and both TTVJ (with his headphone loaner tours) and Grado 4ourears (with their head-fi special edition headphones HF1, HF2, and HF3 that contribute to head-fi.org and its causes) are great places to work with!

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #42,221 of 65,575
I think I'll give them a couple more hours and look at the Grado store. Then time to sell my gs2000e's. I hope business for them is that good.
Selling your GS2000s you say ?

*I dont need to buy his GS2000s*

*No matter how awesome they are*

*Even if they will make me completely fulfilled and I will never even look for any other headphones ever again*

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #42,223 of 65,575
I caved and called them.... I know sigh... waiting for a call back on if they arrived.

If your local dealer is this disinterested when you want to give them your money, what on earth will they be like should you have a problem when you've bought them??

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #42,224 of 65,575
find other stores, with that initial impression, i wouldn't expect much for after sales services

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #42,225 of 65,575

decided to take the “safe” route and use s little heat.

Still A bit of glue to remove from the cups, but a little resanding and they will be good as new.

interesting how they color the back of the silver driver housing with dark paint/marker.

edit:
Good as new

nice! glad you decided to took a proper way to mod it :D thanks for the pictures too!
wow, so 4 vent holes and no glob, combine that with flat pad.interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back