Grado Fan Club!
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #42,226 of 65,674
Is $1,000 for gs2000e a fair price?
I'd say thats a fair price if they're in good shape. Current retail is $1395.

*I dont need to spend the cost of my first car on more headphones*

*Not even really awesome ones like the GS2000*

*That tan leather headband looks really sharp*

*Dont you like your GS1000s? 2000 is twice 1000 so the GS2000s obviously must be twice as good. Thats just basic math dude. Didn't you major in math back in college?"

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #42,227 of 65,674
nice! glad you decided to took a proper way to mod it :D thanks for the pictures too!
wow, so 4 vent holes and no glob, combine that with flat pad.interesting
image.jpg

The holes actually continue under the felt all the way around.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #42,228 of 65,674
image.jpg
The holes actually continue under the felt all the way around.
yeah i know. one of the way to increase bass on that type of driver is by open up the vent hole. normally the felt cover all holes on the baffle up to the solder area, in the old days, only few grado models have vented holes and they used to do it just by poking the felt, now it seems they just rip the felt apart

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #42,231 of 65,674
I've just found what's probably the biggest sound quality improvement through pad-rolling that I've ever experienced. If you own an RS2e then buy yourself a pair of Yaxi portaPro pads (note: not the Yaxi Grado Pads) and never look back.

I'd tried every other variation of cushion on both of my RS2e and nothing worked for the sound to bring it up to the RS1e with Grado G's or L's; the Yaxi portaPro pads brought the RS2e's odd-ball 44mm drivers closer to the ear but also increased the clarity and comfort dramatically. I literally unplugged my Focal Clear, high-end planars, and just kept switching between the RS1e w/G's and RS2e w/YaxiPPP's – the A/B testing between the two RS2e's was so dramatic I can't believe Yaxi doesn't make these exact pads for Grados (the Grado pad Yaxi makes are just a Grado variant) in an L cush with sunflower screen or a G-cush. I am still experimenting with them as a 414 substitute for the sunflower mod as their small size was really promising when I tried it, but I didn't have time to properly test for sound. I also tried these on the RS1 (sounded great, harder to keep on so I switched back to G's), some custom woodies, and Turbulent rosewood cups. The Yaxi Pads are now in perm rotation on two or three Grados.

There are minor downsides: you have to work these a bit to get them on as they're intended for a smaller diameter bore, they move around a little more and ride forward like S-cush do, and they will occasionally slip off – all-in-all, the trade-offs of the experience are about on par with using the Senn 414 pads but the Yaxi portaPro pads are the clear winner over stock, quarter-mod, and reverse quarter mod 414.

TL;DR is buy the Yaxi portaPro pads for your mid-to-high wooden Grados – fantastic for the RS2e.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #42,232 of 65,674
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #42,233 of 65,674
Then why not just use the 414 pads since they fit a Grado perfectly?
I edited in some clarification, they have the same negative trade-offs as using a 414 pad.

The Yaxi PPPad sounds better, is more comfortable (smaller pores, more fabric like, smoother), and doesn't give me some of the microphonics I experience with the Senn 414s. I really like the Senns otherwise and had gone with them or the L-cush over everything else.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #42,234 of 65,674
I edited in some clarification, they have the same negative trade-offs as using a 414 pad.

The Yaxi PPPad sounds better, is more comfortable (smaller pores, more fabric like, smoother), and doesn't give me some of the microphonics I experience with the Senn 414s. I really like the Senns otherwise and had gone with them or the L-cush over everything else.
how exactly do these differ from these S pad replacements
https://misodiko.com/collections/ea...gs2000e-ps1000-ps1000e?variant=29424191307799

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #42,235 of 65,674

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poster-rafce5a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_704.jpg

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #42,236 of 65,674
I’m being over literalistic but you can see the massive size difference between the stock S Cush, the 414, the Yaxi S, and the portapro.
image.jpg

Here are their current homes on the Turbulent and RS2e (I have the orange and yellow on each as a left right the same way I do red-blue for right-left with other pads). I hope you can see the density/texture
image.jpg

The lineup goes Grado S, Senn 414, Yaxi Grado, and Yaxi portaPro
image.jpg

The portaPro pore size is much smaller while the density doesn't feel too off (again, stock Grado S, Senn 414 stock, Yaxi Grado, and portaPro.
image.jpg

The only real downside is both the 414 and the Yaxi PPP have less stability than an L or G cush.

I don't own those pads, but they look like the standard aftermarket S-cush. If you look at the pictures you can see the texture of the portaPro pads is much softer and finer, there isn't nearly as much cushion for stability but it doesn't feel like it needs as much cushion for comfort.There is a slight sound change for the better, I notice less sibilance, improved bass, more immediacy.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #42,238 of 65,674
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #42,240 of 65,674
It's aluminium, so not really more heft to them now. Installing is quite easy as you have those screws for adjustment. Only getting the headband out of the original plastic rods was a little tricky and needed some brute force.

well ps1000e also using aluminium... an exact weight scale would be nice so we don't need to imagine things :D btw how about the adjustment part? is it using like lock scheme or is it just more firm? i mean the original grado's rod usually easy to just slide down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back