Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #37,531 of 65,565
At the moment, purely because I KNOW that I'm happy with the GH-2 sound, I think I'll just get another of those. I do agree with the earlier views on the thread (I'm doing a long stretch of reading!!) that the GH-2 cups just aren't quite as nice looking as the 'traditional' flat cups on the Reference series. A purely cosmetic thing, I know, but the look of the Grado cans is obviously part of their alure. That was my only other complaint with my cracked GH-2 - the wood cups were an incredibly dark finish, with none of the light streaks seen on the vast majority of GH-2's. I know that the wood will naturally vary, but this was really dark in comparison to every other one I've seen. Fingers crossed the replacement is a bit nicer.

Maybe at some point in the future I'll pick a set of the RS2e up.

man i think it was a week ago, i read some well written a tale of chasing the dragon from a wise dude

Aaaaannnddd, I'm back! Sorry, sort of slipped off the radar there, partly due to illness, partly due a disheartening headphone experience (who'd have thunk??). So if anyone remembers, last time I posted I'd just made a purchase of the GS1000e after owning the GH2 for a couple of days and really loving their performance. I was super excited to get hold of the GS1Ke, and I couldn't keep both sets of cans, so my GH2 went back and I eagerly awaited the GS1Ke. They arrived and... meh.

Now before I go on, let me say, this was entirely the fault of my own musical preferences (I like a lot of dark ambient, ambient in general, electronic / glitchy stuff, as well as some jazz and that's pretty much it these days). The GH2 were pretty much PERFECT for the music I listen to, so in my own stupidity, I assumed that further up the Grado path lay Elysium. Now, for certain genres, I can truly believe the GS1Ke is an end game setup, but when I switched to some dub-techno, I was desperately waiting for a bassline that just never materialised. I knew I'd made a mistake. My GH2 were gone and I was stuck with a can that just didn't play ball with my listening tastes.

Fastforward a couple of weeks, and as I say, I got ill, didn't do much listening but had picked up some other cans along the way anyway, namely the AKG K702. I liked them, I didn't love them. They were so analytical, and the sound stage was SO huge, that everything seemed too distant. I felt like I was just on another wild goose chase, trying to replicate what I'd already heard elsewhere.

So how am I back in the Grado Fan Club thread?

The GH2 are back. And I love them.

The bass is SUPERB for what I want. The soundstage is wide and clear, but not in the ridiculous, border-defying way that the AKG is. The tone and texture of instruments, the insight into murky passages of gritty, ethereal layers of music in some of the nonsense that I love to listen to was sublime.

And all this running straight out my Macbook Pro... I left the Audio GD out of the equation temporarily while I try to relocate it / move it on.

So the moral of the story? Choose the right tool for the job. Don't go thinking Elysium is just off the next turn off.

You might already be there.

:D :D :D anyway if you consider yourself a basshead, you probably want to stick with gh2

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #37,532 of 65,565
:D :D Damn you, I was hoping everyone had forgotten that bit!! I should have known you'd remember! Haha, must have been a moment of madness - thinking I'd hold onto one set of cans!

I really wouldn't consider myself a basshead though, pretty much the opposite. I felt the GSK1e was totally lacking in bass, and it looks like others might echo that. The GH-2 have great impact and depth to the bass, but I think a real basshead might find it lacking in comparison to cans like the Sony Z7 or those crazy JVC ones. For me, it's perfect.

Which is why I'm stupid for looking at other cans!! Damnit, this forum...

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #37,533 of 65,565
:D :D Damn you, I was hoping everyone had forgotten that bit!! I should have known you'd remember! Haha, must have been a moment of madness - thinking I'd hold onto one set of cans!

I really wouldn't consider myself a basshead though, pretty much the opposite. I felt the GSK1e was totally lacking in bass, and it looks like others might echo that. The GH-2 have great impact and depth to the bass, but I think a real basshead might find it lacking in comparison to cans like the Sony Z7 or those crazy JVC ones. For me, it's perfect.

Which is why I'm stupid for looking at other cans!! Damnit, this forum...

hahaha dude it hasn't been a week since you wrote that! i know i know, we all need help. no judging :D

i haven't try gh-2 but from what i've read it has more bass compare to other grados, that's why i assume other grado models might not suit your preference

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #37,534 of 65,565
I'm also curious how the GH2 differs from the RS2E
I o had the GH2 for a short time, and I let them burn0in about 60hrs+/- but only listened to them a hand full of times (which is why I sold them) nut I did prefer the GH1 due to the GH2 being just a bit mellow and less lively than I'm used to with Grado. I'm not saying they're bad, but they didn't deem like I'd reach for them enough to justify keeping them. And take this with a grain of salt being I only listened to them a hand full of times. I know, this has nothing to do with the RS2e. :)

i haven't try gh-2 but from what i've read it has more bass compare to other grados, that's why i assume other grado models might not suit your preference
I didn't find this to be the case to the extent that most are saying. If anything I'd say they had an overall warmer presentation.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #37,535 of 65,565
I went with the original flat pads, because this will be the 4th time I'm going to try the flat pads with my RS1i because I honestly never gave them enough time to make a fair judgement. I can be stubborn like that, which isn't a good thing. I also read that the deluxe pads are a bit denser if I remember correctly?

I am not sure of the comparison - only tried the deluxe ones for 50$ - and they're pretty dense.

I o had the GH2 for a short time, and I let them burn0in about 60hrs+/- but only listened to them a hand full of times (which is why I sold them) nut I did prefer the GH1 due to the GH2 being just a bit mellow and less lively than I'm used to with Grado. I'm not saying they're bad, but they didn't deem like I'd reach for them enough to justify keeping them. And take this with a grain of salt being I only listened to them a hand full of times. I know, this has nothing to do with the RS2e. :)

I didn't find this to be the case to the extent that most are saying. If anything I'd say they had an overall warmer presentation.

I agree with the warm presentation. I do use the GH2 when I am in the more bassy mood. However, unfortunately I've learned to have several needs:wink: therefore I also have the GS2ke for the more delicate stuff, for example classical guitar. Never tried the RS2e - only the RS2i and they were somewhere in between - not really my favorite.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #37,536 of 65,565
Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if anybody has an opinion about Grado headphones paired with the LG V20 phone. I have an opportunity to buy a like-new RS2e. I know it's a matter of opinion but I'm curious about the V20-RS2e match. I mostly listen to jazz, rock, punk, indie music. Would it sound dull without an amp? Thanks!

Echoing what others have said, I have the RS2e and they're quite easy to drive. I mostly listen to them via my Magni 3 / modi multi with volume mostly around 9-10 o'clock. I've used them with my iPhone 5C and iPod touch, and they get plenty loud at 80-85% volume. With an amp there will be a noticeable improvement in sound as there will be more clean headroom available to the drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #37,539 of 65,565
I'm also curious how the GH2 differs from the RS2E

I was wavering between the GH2 and the RS1e a few weeks ago. I bought the GH2. But then I regretted never having tried a reference series model, so last week I also bought the RS2e (cheaper than RS1e and seems more popular). So I have both the GH2 and RS2e to compare.

I am swapping between a Little Dot 1+, Little Dot Mk III, Schiit Magni. Modest tube upgrades for the two Little Dots. Source is iPhone+Dragonfly Black. My control Grado is my trusty old pair of SR225s (l've had them 10+ years, and I bought them used). All using stock L pads (the SR225 ones are probably aftermarket, I forget). Generally I find the SR225 a little unpleasant out of the Magni, a little anemic from the Little Dot Mk III, and pure joy from the Little Dot 1+; lively and impactful and fun. Ridiculously good combo for listening to rock/metal slightly loud. Note that neither the GH2 nor the RS2e are close to broken in, I think each still have less than 20 hours.
  • The GH2 is a "better" headphone than my old SR225. Better soundstage, better tones, better detail. The first song I played involved a wood block and it sounded utterly real. However, the GH2 is lacking some forwardness or aggressiveness relative to the SR225. It sounds beautiful but I'm not sure it gives me the impact I want from Grado. (I have HD600 for laid-back and smooth listening.) I might prefer the GH2 with the Little Dot Mk III and even the Magni as opposed to the Little Dot 1+, which is surprising to me.
  • The RS2e sounds more like my traditional idea of a Grado. It is so detailed. But ... and I am someone who normally prefers brighter-tuned headphones with lots of detail ... the high frequencies are really intense. Almost painful. I have read that this calms down; I sure hope so. In the meantime, out of the box, I have to say I prefer the GH2. Like the GH2, I prefer the RS2e from the Little Dot Mk III as opposed to the Little Dot 1+. I don't think I've plugged it into the Magni. Like the GH2, the RS2e soundstage is better than my SR225, and like the GH2, guitar (especially acoustic) sounds great. But overall these are really quite different from the GH2.
  • Returning to the SR225 after a few days away, these are definitely less spacious and less detailed than either of the newer models. The upper frequencies just sound blunted, even compared to the GH2. But the SR225 has that great synergy with the Little Dot 1+ and sound great nonetheless.
So, the jury is out on whether I have found my "upgrade" Grado. Maybe there isn't one for me. Or maybe I need to buy the PS500e... I'm going to wait and let these new headphones break in more before deciding.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #37,540 of 65,565
I was wavering between the GH2 and the RS1e a few weeks ago. I bought the GH2. But then I regretted never having tried a reference series model, so last week I also bought the RS2e (cheaper than RS1e and seems more popular). So I have both the GH2 and RS2e to compare.

I am swapping between a Little Dot 1+, Little Dot Mk III, Schiit Magni. Modest tube upgrades for the two Little Dots. Source is iPhone+Dragonfly Black. My control Grado is my trusty old pair of SR225s (l've had them 10+ years, and I bought them used). All using stock L pads (the SR225 ones are probably aftermarket, I forget). Generally I find the SR225 a little unpleasant out of the Magni, a little anemic from the Little Dot Mk III, and pure joy from the Little Dot 1+; lively and impactful and fun. Ridiculously good combo for listening to rock/metal slightly loud. Note that neither the GH2 nor the RS2e are close to broken in, I think each still have less than 20 hours.
  • The GH2 is a "better" headphone than my old SR225. Better soundstage, better tones, better detail. The first song I played involved a wood block and it sounded utterly real. However, the GH2 is lacking some forwardness or aggressiveness relative to the SR225. It sounds beautiful but I'm not sure it gives me the impact I want from Grado. (I have HD600 for laid-back and smooth listening.) I might prefer the GH2 with the Little Dot Mk III and even the Magni as opposed to the Little Dot 1+, which is surprising to me.
  • The RS2e sounds more like my traditional idea of a Grado. It is so detailed. But ... and I am someone who normally prefers brighter-tuned headphones with lots of detail ... the high frequencies are really intense. Almost painful. I have read that this calms down; I sure hope so. In the meantime, out of the box, I have to say I prefer the GH2. Like the GH2, I prefer the RS2e from the Little Dot Mk III as opposed to the Little Dot 1+. I don't think I've plugged it into the Magni. Like the GH2, the RS2e soundstage is better than my SR225, and like the GH2, guitar (especially acoustic) sounds great. But overall these are really quite different from the GH2.
  • Returning to the SR225 after a few days away, these are definitely less spacious and less detailed than either of the newer models. The upper frequencies just sound blunted, even compared to the GH2. But the SR225 has that great synergy with the Little Dot 1+ and sound great nonetheless.
So, the jury is out on whether I have found my "upgrade" Grado. Maybe there isn't one for me. Or maybe I need to buy the PS500e... I'm going to wait and let these new headphones break in more before deciding.
Please let me know your findings. I'm after the next level of grado for my metal listening and am debating between all the models your talking about.
I currently have a sr60e and 325e and to be honest prefer the sr60e as the 325e often gives me a headache. I am also getting a set of turbulent x custom grado build which I should get back in a month or so.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #37,541 of 65,565
after spent some time listening denon and ps1000e, and really head 2 head critical listening, i'm fully confident in term of technicality ps1000e far behind from denon, separation/layering on denon way better than ps1000e, this is the first time i actually heard ps1000e sound thin, lacking of speed, also the distortion really apparent. mind you, grado is far from being called slow headphone, so i'm really talking about extreme level. this is only happen when i changed back and forth the headphones right away just from the initial listening to a very specific second of music track. i did this over and over and the outcome always the same. but like i said this only happen from first few seconds listening, after a while like few minutes, i still love ps1000e, all those nitpicking kinda gone, it really doesn't bother me that much, i still enjoy listening ps1000e although i'm afraid ps1000e probably won't be my daily driver anymore( that if i could find proper ear pads for the denon, god damn flat pad, man... talking about grado comfort issues, this denon is ear torture, i pick grado L-cushion any given time,it's not even a contest ). from tonal/timbre point of view, it really not much different, at least from what i'm normally listening everyday, male vocals, percusions, guitars, denon just as good as grado. the only thing i miss from ps1000 are the sense you're in there, the raw energy, aggressive sound if you want to call it. but i really have to say, grado is not the only king for rock and metal. at least in case of ps1000e...

track 3.15-3.40

denon grado.jpg

Attachments

• denon grado.jpg
    denon grado.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #37,542 of 65,565
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #37,543 of 65,565

I experience the same intense high frequencies with my RS2e as you commented, and yes, almost painful and only in certain kinds of music. I bought my pair used with 100s of hours and added at least 50hrs of my own so far and the sound hasn't changed at all. Amps don't seem to help with the exception of the Schiit Valhalla 2, which seemed to smooth out the highs. The intense high frequencies are what keeps the RS2e from being my 'end-game' headphone, and yet, they'll be with me for the long-term as for 95% of the music I listen to I've not found anything better. If I go up the Grado line, I would be most interested in the GS2000e. I'm also been looking outside the Grado family, mostly at planar magnetics like the LCD-2C or LCD-3, but they seem to give up too much relative to the RS2e mids and clarity. At a recent meet, I was fortunate enough to put the RS2e head-to-head with a pair Focal Utopias. Listing to a passage with the intense high frequencies I felt the initial shock from the RS2e (then quickly adjusted) and nothing like that from the Utopias. Maybe less distortion??? The shocker was how in tonality, clarity and sound stage the RS2e kept up with the Utopias. So far, the only upscale (and way out of budget) headphone I tried that seemed to deliver what I'm looking for is the LCD-4. That said, I'd like to try the GS2000e before moving up to anything else.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #37,544 of 65,565
The shocker was how in tonality, clarity and sound stage the RS2e kept up with the Utopias.
It's very hard to beat a Grado at any price point. What shocks me more is the cost of these TOTL headphones compared to Grado, and I've had my fair share of listening to most of them (in home) on my systems for long enough periods to come to these conclusions for myself.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #37,545 of 65,565

What you are finding is how different headphones "react" to different amps and I'd say that my RS2e, SR225e and SR60 all sound best on a hybrid amp (Ember, Lyr2) or warmish SS (headphone jack of UD-301, AH-01 and HA-501). You should try out different ear pads like the OEM G-pads and generic G-pads since these will change the presentation a little to a lot.

While I haven't heard the GH-1/2 I have heard the PS500, PS500e, RS1e, GS1000e, and PS1000e but I wouldn't buy any of them since I've found that custom builds using Ypsilon R1/G1, Magnum V7 and Nhoord drivers are better balanced sounding to me and the metal cups of the PS series is just a bit too heavy for such light headphones.

@gazzington if the Trubulent X driver is even close to the Magnum V7/8 then I think you will love them since they retain the Grado sound for the most parts but have a better over all frequency balance IMO.

@ZMG885, you should see if you can audition some of the alternative drivers for Grado like builds like those I noted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back