Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #37,518 of 65,649
Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if anybody has an opinion about Grado headphones paired with the LG V20 phone. I have an opportunity to buy a like-new RS2e. I know it's a matter of opinion but I'm curious about the V20-RS2e match. I mostly listen to jazz, rock, punk, indie music. Would it sound dull without an amp? Thanks!

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #37,520 of 65,649
Thanks guys, I'll get in touch with the seller. It's only an issue in that I can't see how far down the cup beyond the grille the crack goes. It's not huge in terms of a gap, but it's just... meh. I don't know how likely it is that it would get any worse?

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #37,521 of 65,649
Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if anybody has an opinion about Grado headphones paired with the LG V20 phone. I have an opportunity to buy a like-new RS2e. I know it's a matter of opinion but I'm curious about the V20-RS2e match. I mostly listen to jazz, rock, punk, indie music. Would it sound dull without an amp? Thanks!
While I don't have an LG-V20 or an Rs2e for that matter. I truly believe you'll be fine if Grado ends up being to your liking. I use my Samsung S7 phone which is NOT great and it'll still sound good with Grados or similar low impedance cans that I have.
Worst case scenario you'll have a highly coveted headphone that should be easy to unload if it's not to your liking, I say go for it!

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #37,522 of 65,649
I need to pick some brains again! I've been looking at getting a pair of Alessandro MS-1e's to have a listen. They can obviously be picked up quite cheap, and I've got plenty of spare pads I can mess around with now.

Any of you guys had any experience with them? I've read the MS-1 appreciation thread, but details get a bit thin on the ground with the newer version. Any help would be appreciated.

I have Alessandro MS1e, although I purposely bought them with the older, shallower cups because I wanted the most portable Grado headphone possible (not counting the eGrado, which I have but had to send in for repair and just gave up on after the right driver again began rattling on lower frequencies shortly after the repair).

I unfortunately have never heard the GH2 so I can't offer any comparison between the two, and I no longer have any other e-series Grado's to compare with, either, but I find they have the classic Grado SR series sound I really like, not actually too different from my Alessandro MS2i (which are more resolving to my ears), not as bright as my goldie SR-325i.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #37,523 of 65,649
I have Alessandro MS1e, although I purposely bought them with the older, shallower cups because I wanted the most portable Grado headphone possible (not counting the eGrado, which I have but had to send in for repair and just gave up on after the right driver again began rattling on lower frequencies shortly after the repair).

I unfortunately have never heard the GH2 so I can't offer any comparison between the two, and I no longer have any other e-series Grado's to compare with, either, but I find they have the classic Grado SR series sound I really like, not actually too different from my Alessandro MS2i (which are more resolving to my ears), not as bright as my goldie SR-325i.

Thanks for the info! Now I'll have to wait and see what (if anything) I need to do with my GH-2's before deciding on buying anything else!

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #37,524 of 65,649
Thanks guys, I'll get in touch with the seller. It's only an issue in that I can't see how far down the cup beyond the grille the crack goes. It's not huge in terms of a gap, but it's just... meh. I don't know how likely it is that it would get any worse?
The gap might stay the same, but Grado is very good when it comes to this sort of thing, and being that the Gh2 is still a relatively new headphone I am sure they.would replace that cup for you. I don't know how good the Grado dealers over the pond are though

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #37,527 of 65,649
OK, so I can return these now. I'll start the ball rolling on that.

Just to satisfy a curiosity (and because I'm an idiot...), what would be the main sonic difference between the GH2 and the the RH2e? I know that they get a lot of love on here. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #37,530 of 65,649
At the moment, purely because I KNOW that I'm happy with the GH-2 sound, I think I'll just get another of those. I do agree with the earlier views on the thread (I'm doing a long stretch of reading!!) that the GH-2 cups just aren't quite as nice looking as the 'traditional' flat cups on the Reference series. A purely cosmetic thing, I know, but the look of the Grado cans is obviously part of their alure. That was my only other complaint with my cracked GH-2 - the wood cups were an incredibly dark finish, with none of the light streaks seen on the vast majority of GH-2's. I know that the wood will naturally vary, but this was really dark in comparison to every other one I've seen. Fingers crossed the replacement is a bit nicer.

Maybe at some point in the future I'll pick a set of the RS2e up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back