Grado Fan Club!
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #37,546 of 65,687
@gazzington if the Trubulent X driver is even close to the Magnum V7/8 then I think you will love them since they retain the Grado sound for the most parts but have a better over all frequency balance IMO.

I hope so. I am also getting several other mods from shipiboaudio on easy. They have been really helpful and their stuff looks amazing

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #37,547 of 65,687
after spent some time listening denon and ps1000e, and really head 2 head critical listening, i'm fully confident in term of technicality ps1000e far behind from denon, separation/layering on denon way better than ps1000e, this is the first time i actually heard ps1000e sound thin, lacking of speed, also the distortion really apparent. mind you, grado is far from being called slow headphone, so i'm really talking about extreme level. this is only happen when i changed back and forth the headphones right away just from the initial listening to a very specific second of music track. i did this over and over and the outcome always the same. but like i said this only happen from first few seconds listening, after a while like few minutes, i still love ps1000e, all those nitpicking kinda gone, it really doesn't bother me that much, i still enjoy listening ps1000e although i'm afraid ps1000e probably won't be my daily driver anymore( that if i could find proper ear pads for the denon, god damn flat pad, man... talking about grado comfort issues, this denon is ear torture, i pick grado L-cushion any given time,it's not even a contest ). from tonal/timbre point of view, it really not much different, at least from what i'm normally listening everyday, male vocals, percusions, guitars, denon just as good as grado. the only thing i miss from ps1000 are the sense you're in there, the raw energy, aggressive sound if you want to call it. but i really have to say, grado is not the only king for rock and metal. at least in case of ps1000e...

track 3.15-3.40

Wait, what Denon model are you talking about?

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #37,548 of 65,687
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #37,551 of 65,687
Just received my TTVJ flat pads for my RS1i which I will be using consecutively for the next few days, and I promised myself I'll give them a fair share this time and not dismiss them after 1 night of listening with them. This will be the 4th time I bought them. SMH!

i'm hoping you'll have a nice listening session. i remember i used to have a good time listening grado rs1 button with flat pad but my ear gave up on me, can't stand the flat pad anymore :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #37,552 of 65,687
i'm hoping you'll have a nice listening session. i remember i used to have a good time listening grado rs1 button with flat pad but my ear gave up on me, can't stand the flat pad anymore :D
Thank you. I plan on using my WA6 with the RS1i tonight. Why do you say your ears gave up on you with the flat pads?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #37,553 of 65,687
Thank you.
Why do you say your ears gave up on you with the flat pads?
i've been spoiled with g-pad, my ears now have a very low toleration to supra aural design :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #37,554 of 65,687
Just received my TTVJ flat pads for my RS1i which I will be using consecutively for the next few days, and I promised myself I'll give them a fair share this time and not dismiss them after 1 night of listening with them. This will be the 4th time I bought them. SMH!

Ha...you are persistent :o2smile:

I like them with my RS1...but I seem to still use the L cush more.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #37,555 of 65,687

You know what they say, "the fourth time is the charm".

Enjoy! :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #37,556 of 65,687
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #37,557 of 65,687
What you are finding is how different headphones "react" to different amps and I'd say that my RS2e, SR225e and SR60 all sound best on a hybrid amp (Ember, Lyr2) or warmish SS (headphone jack of UD-301, AH-01 and HA-501). You should try out different ear pads like the OEM G-pads and generic G-pads since these will change the presentation a little to a lot.

While I haven't heard the GH-1/2 I have heard the PS500, PS500e, RS1e, GS1000e, and PS1000e but I wouldn't buy any of them since I've found that custom builds using Ypsilon R1/G1, Magnum V7 and Nhoord drivers are better balanced sounding to me and the metal cups of the PS series is just a bit too heavy for such light headphones.

@gazzington if the Trubulent X driver is even close to the Magnum V7/8 then I think you will love them since they retain the Grado sound for the most parts but have a better over all frequency balance IMO.

@ZMG885, you should see if you can audition some of the alternative drivers for Grado like builds like those I noted above.

Very good points. I haven't tried the the Ember or Lyr2 yet, but I did get some time with the RS2es on a Valhalla 2 and noticed a much smother presentation for the highs. The Valhalla is interesting because I'm looking to drive Beyers with it as well, and it seemed to have enough juice at 32ohms to make it work.

I'm intrigued by the custom build too. Any preference to which driver (with a wood cup) would come close to the RS2e, but smoother highs?

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #37,558 of 65,687
Very good points. I haven't tried the the Ember or Lyr2 yet, but I did get some time with the RS2es on a Valhalla 2 and noticed a much smother presentation for the highs. The Valhalla is interesting because I'm looking to drive Beyers with it as well, and it seemed to have enough juice at 32ohms to make it work.

I'm intrigued by the custom build too. Any preference to which driver (with a wood cup) would come close to the RS2e, but smoother highs?
I've tried the Valhalla2 a few times (borrowed from a friend) and it was slightly dry/sterile sounding amp with most of the headphones I tried on them but I didn't bother to try any Grado or alternative drivers since the output impedance is a bit higher than you want for 32ohm driver but who knows to some it might work out fine.

The closest to the RS2e is the Ypsilon R1 from what I've heard so far out of the Ypsilon R1/G1/S2/original, Magnum V7/V8, and Nhoord Red v1/v2.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #37,559 of 65,687
I've tried the Valhalla2 a few times (borrowed from a friend) and it was slightly dry/sterile sounding amp with most of the headphones I tried on them but I didn't bother to try any Grado or alternative drivers since the output impedance is a bit higher than you want for 32ohm driver but who knows to some it might work out fine.

The closest to the RS2e is the Ypsilon R1 from what I've heard so far out of the Ypsilon R1/G1/S2/original, Magnum V7/V8, and Nhoord Red v1/v2.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #37,560 of 65,687
Please let me know your findings. I'm after the next level of grado for my metal listening and am debating between all the models your talking about.
I currently have a sr60e and 325e and to be honest prefer the sr60e as the 325e often gives me a headache. I am also getting a set of turbulent x custom grado build which I should get back in a month or so.

I will post back with some more thoughts specifically on metal once I have some more time with the GH2 and RS2e. I have considered the 325e but am concerned at reports of it being quite intense in high frequencies.

I experience the same intense high frequencies with my RS2e as you commented, and yes, almost painful and only in certain kinds of music. I bought my pair used with 100s of hours and added at least 50hrs of my own so far and the sound hasn't changed at all. Amps don't seem to help with the exception of the Schiit Valhalla 2, which seemed to smooth out the highs. The intense high frequencies are what keeps the RS2e from being my 'end-game' headphone, and yet, they'll be with me for the long-term as for 95% of the music I listen to I've not found anything better. If I go up the Grado line, I would be most interested in the GS2000e. I'm also been looking outside the Grado family, mostly at planar magnetics like the LCD-2C or LCD-3, but they seem to give up too much relative to the RS2e mids and clarity. At a recent meet, I was fortunate enough to put the RS2e head-to-head with a pair Focal Utopias. Listing to a passage with the intense high frequencies I felt the initial shock from the RS2e (then quickly adjusted) and nothing like that from the Utopias. Maybe less distortion??? The shocker was how in tonality, clarity and sound stage the RS2e kept up with the Utopias. So far, the only upscale (and way out of budget) headphone I tried that seemed to deliver what I'm looking for is the LCD-4. That said, I'd like to try the GS2000e before moving up to anything else.

Hmm, interesting; thanks for sharing your experience. Well, maybe my RS2e will still relax a little bit. I also have a friend at work with the Valhalla so maybe I'll try that combo out. But ultimately I wonder if RS1/RS1e or PS500/PS500e would be more to my liking.

What you are finding is how different headphones "react" to different amps and I'd say that my RS2e, SR225e and SR60 all sound best on a hybrid amp (Ember, Lyr2) or warmish SS (headphone jack of UD-301, AH-01 and HA-501). You should try out different ear pads like the OEM G-pads and generic G-pads since these will change the presentation a little to a lot.

While I haven't heard the GH-1/2 I have heard the PS500, PS500e, RS1e, GS1000e, and PS1000e but I wouldn't buy any of them since I've found that custom builds using Ypsilon R1/G1, Magnum V7 and Nhoord drivers are better balanced sounding to me and the metal cups of the PS series is just a bit too heavy for such light headphones.

Thanks; you're probably right that I should try a G-pad. My experience with Grado and amps has been similar to yours, though I find that the GH2 works pretty well from a pretty neutral SS (which I consider the Magni to be), maybe due to its warmer tuning.

I had the Alessandro MS2 many years ago, and didn't like the weight, which is one reason I have recently focused on trying the wood cup models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back