Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #37,576 of 65,687
Much as I love my Grados, I would NEVER be without my (Colorware) red and black ensemble of Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC / amp, Norne Draug 2 cable, and HD 800 headphones. I loved them with the stock cable, and they are great v n better, consistent with the above-cited review article, with the Norne Draug 2!
4CD7E304-3D38-4812-AAA9-3DC5EBA036D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #37,577 of 65,687
Much as I love my Grados, I would NEVER be without my (Colorware) red and black ensemble of Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC / amp, Norne Draug 2 cable, and HD 800 headphones. I loved them with the stock cable, and they are great v n better, consistent with the above-cited review article, with the Norne Draug 2!

Ha...we have the same cable :)
DSC00326.JPG

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #37,578 of 65,687
Not too many Grado sound good with the G cushions. I hated them on all of my Grades with the exception of the GH1 (and obviously the PS1K/2Ke) which I feel they excel compared to the stock L cushions they come with. The PS500 has also been reportedly nice sounding with the G cushions as well.

I use them with my 325 Gold and it works fine.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #37,580 of 65,687
Recently I bought headphones by this guys :
http://concordcustomlab.com
And I was impressed with the quality of workmanship! I have never seen modification with quality like this,realy.
Congratulations, very nice looking. Would you mind taking a photo of the opposite side (the side facing your head) of 1 of the rodblocks so I can see how the 2 halves are connected?

How are the flat pads holding up with the RS1 ?

I like how you give different gear more chances

If you stay in this hobby long enough and hang around head-fi....great chance of this happening :stuck_out_tongue:

I have owned the HD650 three times.
I have had the RS1 twice

Seems many here have done this a bit, and it is fun to read about to see what gear they have done it with.

The Atticus has taken up most of my time at this time. it is a heavy headphone, but I can wear it for hours no problem, very comfy
I sprinkle in RS1 & HD800 when no one is in the next room watching TV or close to me.
I love the Atticus for this reason, being mostly closed, but sounds open and my wife does not hear any noise leaking when she is near by.

I am not somebody that cares much about reading charts ...if that was the case I probably would not like the Grado sound, but I love it!

Same with the Atticus...it is just some real fun sound.

I will be very interested to see how it plays out for you.

@jaywillin What gear have you owned at least twice ?
I only listened to the RS1i w/flat pads that 1 night, and a little bit yesterday afternoon while I was playing around with upsampling via the Spring and Roon being I never tried it before. They sounded better yesterday afternoon than the first night (in NOS/44.1kHz mode.) Last night I ended up listening to the 009 last, so I'll have to get back to the RS1i w/flats maybe tonight. For me, it's a totally different sound with the flats, and I'm not sure I care for it. But again, I do and will spend enough time with them until I'm able to sat for sure if I like them. I'll keep you posted on that.

Not that I had enough of the Grado sound because I love my Grado, but I want to explore other headphone sound signatures and hear how they match with my gear. I've already received a balanced Sennheiser cable for the 6XX, now I'm just waiting to receive the headphones. I intend to keep listening to as many different headphones as I can by borrowing from TCC (from time to time) and eventually buying something other than a Grado with the credit I accumulate. I've never heard of the Atticus, but I'm going to look into them and maybe they'll be the next headphone I borrow. Glad you're enjoying them!

I use them with my 325 Gold and it works fine.
My first 2 Grado were the 80i/325is and I wanted to try the 325is with the G cushions, and for me, they immediately ruined everything I enjoyed about them. Glad you enjoy them, though.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #37,581 of 65,687
I only listened to the RS1i w/flat pads that 1 night, and a little bit yesterday afternoon while I was playing around with upsampling via the Spring and Roon being I never tried it before. They sounded better yesterday afternoon than the first night (in NOS/44.1kHz mode.) Last night I ended up listening to the 009 last, so I'll have to get back to the RS1i w/flats maybe tonight. For me, it's a totally different sound with the flats, and I'm not sure I care for it. But again, I do and will spend enough time with them until I'm able to sat for sure if I like them. I'll keep you posted on that.

Not that I had enough of the Grado sound because I love my Grado, but I want to explore other headphone sound signatures and hear how they match with my gear. I've already received a balanced Sennheiser cable for the 6XX, now I'm just waiting to receive the headphones. I intend to keep listening to as many different headphones as I can by borrowing from TCC (from time to time) and eventually buying something other than a Grado with the credit I accumulate. I've never heard of the Atticus, but I'm going to look into them and maybe they'll be the next headphone I borrow. Glad you're enjoying them!

well rs1 button with flat pad, if i have to be honest, it's like grado sound on steroid, it's the best explanation i could give. i like it but for most people it's probably too much :D

you should try closed back headphones joseph! be our guidance, it's hard for me to enjoy closed back headphones and i think it's also apply for grado fans. so if you could find closed back headphones you like, chances are we're probably going to like it:L3000::L3000:

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #37,582 of 65,687
well rs1 button with flat pad, if i have to be honest, it's like grado sound on steroid, it's the best explanation i could give. i like it but for most people it's probably too much :D

you should try closed back headphones joseph! be our guidance, it's hard for me to enjoy closed back headphones and i think it's also apply for grado fans. so if you could find closed back headphones you like, chances are we're probably going to like it:L3000::L3000:

Well I'm happy to say I too have the RS 1 button, though L Crush pads not flat and it's nice from time to time, I really like some Zepellin on them!

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #37,583 of 65,687
Well I'm happy to say I too have the RS 1 button, though L Crush pads not flat and it's nice from time to time, I really like some Zepellin on them!

maybe i need to be more specific. i mean the flat pad is like grado sound on steroid. everything you love and hate about grado headphones would be multiplied. it certainly not for everybody. if some says sr325 gold way too piercing. ooo wait until you put flat pad on it. it's really like steroid. it's not good for you, you're not even sure you enjoy it or not but fcuk it you addicted by it

edit: comparing l-cush and flat pad. g-cush and flat pad. dont even think about it

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #37,585 of 65,687
Maybe one day, but I really have no reason sound leakage wise to try closed back headphones. I do think I'd prefer the openness of the sound compared to feeling like I'm possibly closed in.

maybe i need to be more specific. i mean the flat pad is like grado sound on steroid. everything you love and hate about grado headphones would be multiplied. it certainly not for everybody. if some says sr325 gold way too piercing. ooo wait until you put flat pad on it. it's really like steroid. it's not good for you, you're not even sure you enjoy it or not but fcuk it you addicted by it
I found the exact opposite of what you're findings are. I found that the bass is definitely stronger and punchier (which I like) but at the expense of the highs and transparency lacking maybe a bit too much, as well as the vocals sounding a bit different than I'm used to. Again, I need to spend more time with the flat pads, though, which I might do in a little while being it's miserable outside this afternoon.

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #37,586 of 65,687
You can also try the tape mod on them

I might do that today, I've got some thick enough electrical tape, specifically what does it improve?

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #37,590 of 65,687
My original 325's came with flat pads and I tried l-cush and didn't like it, went straight back to flats
Well I listened to my RS1i this afternoon like I said I was going to, and I must say I did like what I was hearing.
I chalk it up to getting more use to something different. I never actually listened to the flat pads more than once in the past. I know it's only the second time listening to them with the RS1 (nd very short time) but I think I could get used to them and enjoy them.

Tomorrow night I'm going to use the flat pads with the 325is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back