Grado Fan Club!
Feb 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #37,561 of 65,680
Just received my TTVJ flat pads for my RS1i which I will be using consecutively for the next few days, and I promised myself I'll give them a fair share this time and not dismiss them after 1 night of listening with them. This will be the 4th time I bought them. SMH!

Talk about SMH : I just bought the original PS1000 for the 2nd time in the past 6 months. Loved the first one, decided to cut down on my headphone collection & then regretted selling them. Saw a nice one on Canuck Audio Mart a couple of weeks ago and gave in last night. So Joseph, I hope this makes you feel better about buying the same pads for the 4th time; I'm sure that on the money side it amounts to less than two original PS1000s in six months. :dt880smile: Enjoy your pads. This is sometimes a crazy hobby.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #37,562 of 65,680
Talk about SMH : I just bought the original PS1000 for the 2nd time in the past 6 months. Loved the first one, decided to cut down on my headphone collection & then regretted selling them. Saw a nice one on Canuck Audio Mart a couple of weeks ago and gave in last night. So Joseph, I hope this makes you feel better about buying the same pads for the 4th time; I'm sure that on the money side it amounts to less than two original PS1000s in six months. :dt880smile: Enjoy your pads. This is sometimes a crazy hobby.
Thank you. Enjoy your new PS1K as well. I might have you beat.
I bought and sold 2 PS1K's and a PS1Ke, then sold the (e) to @ruthieandjohn then bought another NOS PS1K which I still own. Yeah, this is a bit crazy. Also, (again) I'm not too thrilled with the flat pads on the RS1i but I'm going to continue to listen with them before giving up so fast. I've never tried the flat pads on my 325is, so I'm going listen how they sound together too.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #37,563 of 65,680
I've tried the Valhalla2 a few times (borrowed from a friend) and it was slightly dry/sterile sounding amp with most of the headphones I tried on them but I didn't bother to try any Grado or alternative drivers since the output impedance is a bit higher than you want for 32ohm driver but who knows to some it might work out fine.

The closest to the RS2e is the Ypsilon R1 from what I've heard so far out of the Ypsilon R1/G1/S2/original, Magnum V7/V8, and Nhoord Red v1/v2.

Going to give the Magnum V8 a try, modding my SR80es with new drivers, wood cups and cable. Looking forward to hear out that turns out.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #37,564 of 65,680
I might have you beat.
I bought and sold 2 PS1K's and a PS1Ke, then sold the (e) to @ruthieandjohn then bought another NOS PS1K which I still own.

Yes Joseph, I believe you're crazier than I am :wink::yum: But in all seriousness I've done the same with other headphones. In the last few years I believe I bought the HD800, K702 & T1, four times each & I remember buying the GS-1 amplifier on three different occasions. I don't own any of these items anymore and hopefully I'll never buy them again. :confounded:

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #37,565 of 65,680
I might have you beat.
I bought and sold 2 PS1K's and a PS1Ke, then sold the (e) to @ruthieandjohn then bought another NOS PS1K which I still own.

Yes Joseph, I believe you're crazier than I am :wink::yum: But in all seriousness I've done the same with other headphones. In the last few years I believe I bought the HD800, K702 & T1, four times each & I remember buying the GS-1 amplifier on three different occasions. I don't own any of these items anymore and hopefully I'll never buy them again. :confounded:

Never say never!... :wink:

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #37,566 of 65,680
I might have you beat.

We're definitely both in the same boat. I bought and sold the GS-1 couple of times myself, but only because I wanted the DACT attenuator. I might have been bought 1 from you, or vise-versa?

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #37,567 of 65,680
My PS1Ke is serving me well and sounds great with my chord dave. I thought about upgrading for the PS2Ke but decided to just hang back and not fix what isn't broken.
I did sell of my PS1K (non-e) because I like the non sibilant highs and controlled bass in the e version better.

I did buy the Senn HD800, sold it, re-bought it (it sounded better), but sold that one too (just not engaging enough, a sort of distant sound, too open for me).

All my Senns are gone: 600/650/800. Grados are more satisfying to me. (I also have a GS1Ke and GH1 that I use for casual listening.)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #37,568 of 65,680
All my Senns are gone: 600/650/800. Grados are more satisfying to me. (I also have a GS1Ke and GH1 that I use for casual listening.)
I just started getting into the HD800S and I'm waiting for the HD6XX to arrive sometime in late march early April. I'm undecided about the 800S but only because I haven't spent enough time with them, so they're still not burned in. Initially I can say I like them, but that doesn't mean I'll like them enough to keep them after sufficient burn in. As far as the 6XX, I've never heard them, but I've read a lot of positive posts about them, so I can't wait to hear them for myself. Enjoy the PS1Ke!

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #37,569 of 65,680
Actually, the 600/650 HPs (which I started with 10-12 years ago) are nice, non-fatiguing, musical headphones, especially with a cable like the Toxic Silvers (an almost necessary upgrade IMHO).
But there are newer non-fatiguing ones on the market now that beat them handily in resolution, such as the dynamic models from ZMF.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #37,570 of 65,680
Actually, the 600/650 HPs (which I started with 10-12 years ago) are nice, non-fatiguing, musical headphones, especially with a cable like the Toxic Silvers (an almost necessary upgrade IMHO).
But there are newer non-fatiguing ones on the market now that beat them handily in resolution, such as the dynamic models from ZMF.
The Atticus, Eikon and Auteur are just a bit too heavy and for me and its a deal breaker, if a headphone is not comfortable enough that I can use them for over an hour without issues then they are pretty much out of consideration. I still have an LCD-2 but its because my GF still uses it once in a while and if she ever tires of it then its going to be given to my son since he's okay with the weight.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #37,571 of 65,680
I've the Sennheiser XLR cable here with me ready to go when the 6XX arrives because it only comes with the SE cable. If I feel I enjoy them enough to definitely keep them, I'll look into the Toxic silver, thanks.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #37,572 of 65,680
The Atticus in Camphor I have seems feather-light to me. It really feels as light as the 600/650.
And it doesn't clamp like the Senns. I feel the ZMF with the light woods like Camphor (or even Teak) is much better on the comfort scale than the Senn 6xxs (and maybe even better than the HD800).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #37,573 of 65,680
https://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

Interesting review of HD800 cables. In my experience, the Senn stock cables for the 600/650/ and 800 really compromise the sound. It's almost necessary I found from the long time I owned all of these to find a cable to improve just about all aspects of the sound. This is true for SE or balanced.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #37,575 of 65,680
I just started getting into the HD800S and I'm waiting for the HD6XX to arrive sometime in late march early April. I'm undecided about the 800S but only because I haven't spent enough time with them, so they're still not burned in. Initially I can say I like them, but that doesn't mean I'll like them enough to keep them after sufficient burn in. As far as the 6XX, I've never heard them, but I've read a lot of positive posts about them, so I can't wait to hear them for myself. Enjoy the PS1Ke!

How are the flat pads holding up with the RS1 ?

I like how you give different gear more chances

If you stay in this hobby long enough and hang around head-fi....great chance of this happening :stuck_out_tongue:

I have owned the HD650 three times.
I have had the RS1 twice

Seems many here have done this a bit, and it is fun to read about to see what gear they have done it with.

The Atticus has taken up most of my time at this time. it is a heavy headphone, but I can wear it for hours no problem, very comfy
I sprinkle in RS1 & HD800 when no one is in the next room watching TV or close to me.
I love the Atticus for this reason, being mostly closed, but sounds open and my wife does not hear any noise leaking when she is near by.

I am not somebody that cares much about reading charts ...if that was the case I probably would not like the Grado sound, but I love it!

Same with the Atticus...it is just some real fun sound.

I will be very interested to see how it plays out for you.

@jaywillin What gear have you owned at least twice ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back