Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #37,592 of 65,550
Can anyone please compare the PS2000e to the former model, the PS1000e ? Thank you.
Here you go, from here: Higher Numbers are better.
1E7FCECA-EE8F-4C97-BFE2-9001F88DD168.jpeg

Attachments

• C7CC6F9A-6423-42FC-81F7-1E1FD08A5862.png
    C7CC6F9A-6423-42FC-81F7-1E1FD08A5862.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #37,594 of 65,550
Much as I love my Grados, I would NEVER be without my (Colorware) red and black ensemble of Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC / amp, Norne Draug 2 cable, and HD 800 headphones. I loved them with the stock cable, and they are great v n better, consistent with the above-cited review article, with the Norne Draug 2!

All I see in that pic besides the headphones is red and black licorice. :p

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #37,595 of 65,550
I used to use the original SR125, but upgraded to the SR225e. I was pleased with the 225s notable increase in detail and deeper bass. I will eventually purchase the RS2e.
I'm similar to you but started with SR325e (sent them back since they were a bit harsh), got SR225e and loved it so got a RS1e (sent them back since they were worse than the SR225e-original bad ones) and ended up trying the RS2e which I love.

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #37,599 of 65,550
I'm similar to you but started with SR325e (sent them back since they were a bit harsh), got SR225e and loved it so got a RS1e (sent them back since they were worse than the SR225e-original bad ones) and ended up trying the RS2e which I love.

Was it the highs that sounded a bit harsh with the 325e? I haven't listened to the 325s, but noticed some slight harshness with the highs on my 225s.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #37,601 of 65,550
Hello! I tried the Grados 2 months ago at Zepp and Co. I liked their sound signature alot but I didnt see that much a difference between the SR60 and 125? Is it supposed to be like that?

it's possible. some of their models just incremental improvement whether the improvement justified with the price increase, it's always an open discussion

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #37,603 of 65,550
How are the flat pads holding up with the RS1 ?

I like how you give different gear more chances

If you stay in this hobby long enough and hang around head-fi....great chance of this happening :stuck_out_tongue:

I have owned the HD650 three times.
I have had the RS1 twice

Seems many here have done this a bit, and it is fun to read about to see what gear they have done it with.

The Atticus has taken up most of my time at this time. it is a heavy headphone, but I can wear it for hours no problem, very comfy
I sprinkle in RS1 & HD800 when no one is in the next room watching TV or close to me.
I love the Atticus for this reason, being mostly closed, but sounds open and my wife does not hear any noise leaking when she is near by.

I am not somebody that cares much about reading charts ...if that was the case I probably would not like the Grado sound, but I love it!

Same with the Atticus...it is just some real fun sound.

I will be very interested to see how it plays out for you.

@jaywillin What gear have you owned at least twice ?

Oh Lord, probably the lyr amp has been in and out of my system the most often.
Then probably either the rs1's, and gs1k's(various versions of both)
The 6xx which is supposed to ship from massdrop in March will be the 3rd 6xx/hd650 to be at my abode

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #37,604 of 65,550
As an update, today I tried my RS2e with some Chinese S-cushions I had lying around. Hmm, the painful highs were gone, but things were slightly muffled. Then I tried reversed L-pads as I do not have any TTVJ flats at the moment: much better. Still a smaller soundstage than the stock setup, but the highs were fixed, bass was added and detail largely maintained. Lastly I tried the Chinese L-pads that were on my SR225: also good. These are flatter and a bit softer than the real L-pads, so my ears are a bit closer to the drivers. My issues with the highs are largely addressed, and with that out of the way, these are really good headphones. More like the SR225 successor I was searching for.

Next step is to acquire some TTVJ flats, and to do similar experiments with my GH2.

I know this is old news, but to anyone else having issues with the highs of the RS2e: experiment with your pads!

I was wavering between the GH2 and the RS1e a few weeks ago. I bought the GH2. But then I regretted never having tried a reference series model, so last week I also bought the RS2e (cheaper than RS1e and seems more popular). So I have both the GH2 and RS2e to compare.

I am swapping between a Little Dot 1+, Little Dot Mk III, Schiit Magni. Modest tube upgrades for the two Little Dots. Source is iPhone+Dragonfly Black. My control Grado is my trusty old pair of SR225s (l've had them 10+ years, and I bought them used). All using stock L pads (the SR225 ones are probably aftermarket, I forget). Generally I find the SR225 a little unpleasant out of the Magni, a little anemic from the Little Dot Mk III, and pure joy from the Little Dot 1+; lively and impactful and fun. Ridiculously good combo for listening to rock/metal slightly loud. Note that neither the GH2 nor the RS2e are close to broken in, I think each still have less than 20 hours.
  • The GH2 is a "better" headphone than my old SR225. Better soundstage, better tones, better detail. The first song I played involved a wood block and it sounded utterly real. However, the GH2 is lacking some forwardness or aggressiveness relative to the SR225. It sounds beautiful but I'm not sure it gives me the impact I want from Grado. (I have HD600 for laid-back and smooth listening.) I might prefer the GH2 with the Little Dot Mk III and even the Magni as opposed to the Little Dot 1+, which is surprising to me.
  • The RS2e sounds more like my traditional idea of a Grado. It is so detailed. But ... and I am someone who normally prefers brighter-tuned headphones with lots of detail ... the high frequencies are really intense. Almost painful. I have read that this calms down; I sure hope so. In the meantime, out of the box, I have to say I prefer the GH2. Like the GH2, I prefer the RS2e from the Little Dot Mk III as opposed to the Little Dot 1+. I don't think I've plugged it into the Magni. Like the GH2, the RS2e soundstage is better than my SR225, and like the GH2, guitar (especially acoustic) sounds great. But overall these are really quite different from the GH2.
  • Returning to the SR225 after a few days away, these are definitely less spacious and less detailed than either of the newer models. The upper frequencies just sound blunted, even compared to the GH2. But the SR225 has that great synergy with the Little Dot 1+ and sound great nonetheless.
So, the jury is out on whether I have found my "upgrade" Grado. Maybe there isn't one for me. Or maybe I need to buy the PS500e... I'm going to wait and let these new headphones break in more before deciding.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #37,605 of 65,550
I used to use the original SR125, but upgraded to the SR225e. I was pleased with the 225s notable increase in detail and deeper bass. I will eventually purchase the RS2e.

...the 225e's for me are amazing.....I reach for them almost all of the time, even thought I also own the excellent
GS1000i's. I listen mostly at lower volumes - (I've long believed that Grado's are voiced
to sound their best at lower volumes) - and due to the 225e's smaller soundstage the sound is more full and complete (at low volumes) -
the GS1000i's have a much larger soundstage with more separation - but this larger field of sound requires
somewhat higher volume to have sufficient weight and impact.

For me, in terms of musicality, the 225e's are very close to the GS1000i.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back