Grado Fan Club!
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #37,501 of 65,645
i have the gh2 and the ps500(original)
on the gh2, i prefer the L's, on the ps500, the G's, and i do prefer real grado pads vs the all the others
now having said that, i have some earzonk L cushes on my 125e, and it sounds just fine !

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #37,502 of 65,645
any tips for the best way to do the Tapemod? I know it's just clear scotch tape

i used black electrical tape,
i layed the pad down on a flat surface (ear side down) and used the surface as a guide to apply the tape

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #37,503 of 65,645
i used black electrical tape,
i layed the pad down on a flat surface (ear side down) and used the surface as a guide to apply the tape
electrical tape that's smart!!

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #37,504 of 65,645
electrical tape that's smart!!

thumbsupDUDE.jpg

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #37,505 of 65,645
I have, and would only buy the original Grado G cushions, not the aftermarket G cushions, although some tend to like them better. As far as TTVJ Flat pads, their actually Grado pads, not generic, if I remember reading correctly? The TTVJ Flat pads do add more bass and intimacy at the slight expense of a narrower sound stage and less sparkle in the upper frequencies from my experience. A lot of people enjoy the Flat pads on the RS1 models. I've tried them 3x and wasn't too much of a fan. I also probably didn't give them enough time either, so I do think I'm going to be purchasing another pair in the near future to use with my RS1i and leaving them on this time around. As a matter of fact I'm going to place my order for them right now. I never tried the Flat pads on the GH1...I exclusively use the Grado G cushions with my GH1.
Just to chime in: the TTVJ deluxe flat pads are really nice with the GH2. As said they enhances the bass and intimacy....

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #37,506 of 65,645
Some good news, I did get the RS2E's headband to flex back a little so it grips my apparently small head better, my question is what would make a good recable material for my RS-1, I noticed the RS2E has a suepr thick cable on it! An the RS-1 is much thinner, I'm thinking maybe some OFC Copper but... I don't want to muddy things up... does any one have any idea of what the stock cable is made of?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #37,507 of 65,645
Just to chime in: the TTVJ deluxe flat pads are really nice with the GH2. As said they enhances the bass and intimacy....
I went with the original flat pads, because this will be the 4th time I'm going to try the flat pads with my RS1i because I honestly never gave them enough time to make a fair judgement. I can be stubborn like that, which isn't a good thing. I also read that the deluxe pads are a bit denser if I remember correctly?

Some good news, I did get the RS2E's headband to flex back a little so it grips my apparently small head better, my question is what would make a good recable material for my RS-1, I noticed the RS2E has a suepr thick cable on it! An the RS-1 is much thinner, I'm thinking maybe some OFC Copper but... I don't want to muddy things up... does any one have any idea of what the stock cable is made of?
Grado uses UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Cystal) copper on their voice coils as well as their cables. I think the voice coils started using the (UHPLC) when the (e) series was introduced, but I think they've always used it in their cables. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the voice coil wire, please.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #37,509 of 65,645
Since the RS1 is original I'd suggest sending them back to Grado if they need a re-cable and it will probably be done with the same 8 conductor cable that is on the RS2e and the cost is quite reasonable ($75-100) since removing the drivers to change the cables is not an easy task.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #37,510 of 65,645
?

Grado uses UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Cystal) copper on their voice coils as well as their cables. I think the voice coils started using the (UHPLC) when the (e) series was introduced, but I think they've always used it in their cables. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the voice coil wire, please.

if i remember correctly, from their non-i generation, they already used UHPLC on their voice coils started from their mid range models which is i think start from sr225 or sr325

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #37,511 of 65,645
I need to pick some brains again! I've been looking at getting a pair of Alessandro MS-1e's to have a listen. They can obviously be picked up quite cheap, and I've got plenty of spare pads I can mess around with now.

Any of you guys had any experience with them? I've read the MS-1 appreciation thread, but details get a bit thin on the ground with the newer version. Any help would be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I'm also sat here all by lonesome today, got the GH-2 on my head as we speak. I cannot get over how much I love these cans. I'm a pretty good judge of my own tastes, and it normally doesn't take me long to find fault with a headphone if it isn't 'my sound'. These are just astounding.

I almost feel like I am SUPPOSED to have sore ears with the L-cushions, just to make up for the fact that they sound so good!! Like someone saying 'Hey, listen, you can't have everything, that's the trade off for the sound quality!'.

Even the comfort isn't too bad at this point. I'm kinda getting used to it.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #37,513 of 65,645
I need to pick some brains again! I've been looking at getting a pair of Alessandro MS-1e's to have a listen. They can obviously be picked up quite cheap, and I've got plenty of spare pads I can mess around with now.

Any of you guys had any experience with them? I've read the MS-1 appreciation thread, but details get a bit thin on the ground with the newer version. Any help would be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I'm also sat here all by lonesome today, got the GH-2 on my head as we speak. I cannot get over how much I love these cans. I'm a pretty good judge of my own tastes, and it normally doesn't take me long to find fault with a headphone if it isn't 'my sound'. These are just astounding.

I almost feel like I am SUPPOSED to have sore ears with the L-cushions, just to make up for the fact that they sound so good!! Like someone saying 'Hey, listen, you can't have everything, that's the trade off for the sound quality!'.

Even the comfort isn't too bad at this point. I'm kinda getting used to it.

i can't really help for ms1e, but the old alessandro pretty much "good boy" grado, if grado sounds raw,aggresive all that, the allesandro is a bit less from grado,smoother treble, a bit laid back midrange,etc. from the specs alone its probably using sr125 drivers. but i assume the sound from current generations are different due to from non i to i generation for alessandro, they sound quite different

for grado you really can't have everything, the sound is only their priority i guess. so you know just suck it up :D

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #37,515 of 65,645
Uh, so I was just looking at the GH2 in the sunshine, and I noticed that the right hand wood cup has a crack all the way across from the grille to the outer side...

Is this something that I need to be sending back for an exchange??? The other side is completely fine. What a bummer :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back