Grado Fan Club!
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #36,661 of 65,691
A high amplifier output impedance really screws up the tonality of my Grados and makes them sound muddy and wooly.

+1 ... and they quickly distort at higher volumes (again, with high impedance head amps).

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #36,663 of 65,691
How amp picky is rs2e? I just got those and I'm not too impressed. With certain music it is nice and prat is very good...prat or musicality. I think prat is a very vague term. Just sounds right with some music. Aerosmith, ac/dc and such sound great. But In general I was expecting more. I'm using spl phonitor with hegel hd10 dac. Good gear but spl's have an output impedance of 9. So either rs2e just doesn't meet my standards (preferred sound signature) or high output impedance of the amp is changing things?
The amp output impedance makes a noticeable difference in how the RS2e sound and while its not really amp picky like a HD800 a amp with a low output impedance does sound better to me. Its easy for me to hear the differences since I can change the output impedance of my Ember on the fly and quickly hear the differences between the 0.1, 35 and 120 ohms settings.

One thing you might want to try is change the ear pads, to me the RS2e sounds better with cheap generic G-pads ($4-6) than the OEM L-pads and the cheaper G-pads are much more comfortable to me and also boost the bass a few dB but some don't like them since it does change the sound a lot. Also, the OEM G-pads are not usually recommend on the RS2e since it lowers the bass too much.

Nov 7, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #36,666 of 65,691
If you are going to be listening in a chair, then I recommend the top-of-the-line PS2000e to upgrade from your already-superb RS2e. There are reviews of it on the “PS2000e Loaner Program” thread of TTVJ.

For on-the-go listening, I recommend the GS2000e, which has its own review thread, “GS2000e Loaner Program.”

You really have to reach to the top of the Grado line to upgrade from the RS2e, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #36,670 of 65,691
i just noticed, headamp released the updated gilmore lite amp. this amp used to be one of the top amplifier for grado

DSC_5313.jpg

https://www.headamp.com/order/headamp-gilmore-lite-mk2-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #36,672 of 65,691
yes. the size also shrink a lot :D

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #36,675 of 65,691
So guys, I was looking at Woo Audio for a tube amp, and I was all set at the WA6-SE. When I emailed them, they actually recommend the WA2 for Grados (even with much lower power rating at 32 ohm).

So I'm curious if anyone used the WA2 before with the Grados. I heard the Grados are great with the WA6-SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back