Grado Fan Club!
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #36,691 of 65,556
Get the WA6, less money less real estate.
I had both and returned the SE due to it's limited tube rolling (tube options may be different now, though?) and also sounding more like a SS amp to me compared to the WA6 (which I still own). Also, buy this Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier tube from Langrex Tubes instead of the highly overpriced SP-274B and save the money for some other driver/power tubes.

There are a few things I purchased from Woo like their 6SN7 adapters, and their 6FD7 tubes (because the tubes weren't available anywhere else) but otherwise, I wasn't thrilled at all with their recommended "upgraded tube options" anytime I tried them.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #36,692 of 65,556
Get the WA6, less money less real estate.
I had both and returned the SE due to it's limited tube rolling (tube options may be different now, though?) and also sounding more like a SS amp to me compared to the WA6 (which I still own). Also, buy this Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier tube from Langrex Tubes instead of the highly overpriced SP-274B and save the money for some other driver/power tubes.

There are a few things I purchased from Woo like their 6SN7 adapters, and their 6FD7 tubes (because the tubes weren't available anywhere else) but otherwise, I wasn't thrilled at all with their recommended "upgraded tube options" anytime I tried them.

Interested perspective, a lot of people here love the SP-274B in their WA6s. From reviewing other reviews, people are more happy with the WA6-SE than their WA6. However, with the higher power output from the WA6-SE, it can be more SS sounding.

I read plenty of good reviews of the WA6-SE matching quite well with the higher end Grados, and do some minor tube rolling for better sound than stock.

Then again, it would also explain why they recommended originally the WA2 for the GH1 and GH2. Anything beyond that then they recommend more current.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #36,693 of 65,556
i just found out this thing still in production
EARMAX_SE_(c).jpg

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/sho...ition_Headphone_Amplifier_by_Brocksieper_1148

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #36,694 of 65,556
"a lot of people here love the SP-274B in their WA6s"
Not too sure about this, at all. There are much better, for mush less, and the Brimar is definitely one of them which is why I recommended it. The Brimar is so inexpensive you could buy it along with the SP274B and decide for yourself.
"people are more happy with the WA6-SE than their WA6"
I think people are just as happy with the WA6. But then again, this is all a matter of personal preference. I'm just giving you my experience with both of these amps as well my experiences with
buying into the Woo "tube upgrade options".

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #36,695 of 65,556
Not too sure about this, at all. There are much better, for mush less, and the Brimar is definitely one of them which is why I recommended it. The Brimar is so inexpensive you could buy it along with the SP274B and decide for yourself.
I think people are just as happy with the WA6. But then again, this is all a matter of personal preference. I'm just giving you my experience with both of these amps as well my experiences with
buying into the Woo "tube upgrade options".

With regards to the SP274B, this is going by previous reviews on the WA6-SE. I'll still take the Brimar tube when I have the amp ready to go.

Thanks again for your input. I look at the WA6 and I can really see it to be a great simple headphone amp. My worry is if I want to try some LCDs or even a power hungry headphone, the WA6 may not cut it....

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #36,696 of 65,556
With regards to the SP274B, this is going by previous reviews on the WA6-SE. I'll still take the Brimar tube when I have the amp ready to go.

Thanks again for your input. I look at the WA6 and I can really see it to be a great simple headphone amp. My worry is if I want to try some LCDs or even a power hungry headphone, the WA6 may not cut it....
You're welcome. This I understand. Which ever you choose, enjoy and keep us posted on your impressions.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #36,697 of 65,556
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #36,699 of 65,556
@ruhenheiM
It may be priced so high because maybe the seller thinks it's no longer available NEW from Grado due to their release of the PS2Ke?

maybe. i mean, it's used item and the starting bid already higher than new ps1ke. the buy it now price just.... i could find a cheaper hp1k for sure

i was there staring at my laptop screen for about 3 minutes, checking and looking at the pictures carefully, maybe i'm missing something here and then i just gave up.there are things in life human just couldn't understand... maybe this is one of them :D

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #36,700 of 65,556
do you guys have tried ray samuel amplifiers with grado? how does it sound?

lately i've been nostalgic about old products :D and ray samuel name comes in mind so just i browsing looking at the pictures and then i realized i can't find the specification sheet on their website.so i try to google it and i came across this

https://save-earth.co/2009/06/14/audioworldhypes/

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #36,701 of 65,556

lately i've been nostalgic about old products :D and ray samuel name comes in mind so just i browsing looking at the pictures and then i realized i can't find the specification sheet on their website.so i try to google it and i came across this

I bet it will sound nice.
Recently, I took out my old Pico fat to drive my Grado PS500, it does sound very nice indeed.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #36,702 of 65,556

Seems there are a lot of amp designers/companies that get trashed, including Woo, and I happen to really enjoy my WA6 regardless of what anyone may say. Just because an amp (or anything) is a "simple inexpensive design" doesn't mean that it's going to be/sound bad. If you decide to go for a RS amp and it sounds good and is reliable and worth the cost to you, that's all that matters.

I take anyones impressions (for anything) with a grain of salt, and do a little research of my own just to get some kind of direction, but in the end, I use my own judgement the best I can when make a purchase. If I can't try whatever it is I'm purchasing, and I found I don't like it afterwards (whatever it may be) then that's that, I'll sell it and try something else. It might be a bit costly, but it's the only real way for me to learn what's good for me. Look at all of the "TOTL" headphones I demoed (in home) which most everyone raves about...they just weren't for me, doesn't mean they were crap or sounded like crap.

I can honestly say that I haven't heard a headphone amp and said to myself "wow, this sound like crap". Yes, I've purchased headphone amps that I prefer the sound of over others, but even my MBP's headphone out doesn't sound like crap.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #36,704 of 65,556
i don't have enough experience with components so i can't really give comment whether it sounds good or not. if it's sound good to me it's sound good to me and do i willing to pay for that price. to me since i'm not possessed the capability, technical skill, knowledge of acoustic, electrical, stuff like that. the BOM kinda irrelevant to me. even if it's much cheaper than the MSRP, i still won't be able to build it myself. same thing like FR measurement in headphones, i didn't learn acoustic engineering when i was in university, i could only decide by listening to the headphone itself, i can't grasp any sense by reading the measurement chart. but i do understand in engineering the simplest design is better. less variables, more control of the whole thing, less sh** to happen. in applied science it's about effective and efficient to reach the goal, and most of the time that has been achieved by genuinely marvel engineering. it might be very simple inexpensive design but if it's really really good design, you just can't get any better from that. the living proved from this is the buildings in china forbidden city, i watched the documentary how the ancient architectural design and technology being applied to every building in those city could survive an earthquake 10 richter scale, sure it can't survive fire but that still magnificent achievement
here is the clip:

anyway in those link i was posted, the problem is not the amplifier itself but about the money grabbing business practices, in that case. if i really really like the item and i could afford it, i probably bought it. but that rarely happen, most of the time it took me a really long time to decide if i want to buy it or not. everybody has their own thing, people have their own priority. since we are in grado thread.just like grado headphone.some doesn't like the way they priced their headphone,same old technology,just different tuning, cheap packages, same parts being used from their cheapest headphone to their expensive headphone all that.that's all fair and legit arguments. but to me their headphones sound good. i don't like all of their headphones, but the one that i like,i really like it and bought it and it gave me many wonderful listening session and i haven't encountered any problem with grado headphone that i own. so things people have complaint about grado headphones, it's not really bothering me. and since 3 grado headphones i owned still perfectly function that's positive side. that's my priority in audio, it sound good to me, i could afford it, and it could last for a very very long time. that's all what matter to me. some other manufacturers, sometimes it's put me on hold to purchase some of their products. sometimes i genuinely think it's kind like gambling to purchase their products and for me that's really not worth to gambling at( some of you maybe know what manufacturers i have in mind). nothing to be gain in my opinion. what's the point. so some of the info in that link provide the information that might useful or not to others. and it could help for the people to make their decision so they could be happily part ways with their money :D

in those link, it's not only about the bom and the design but also show the craftsmanship,customer service, some of the unethical practice, etc

for some people who might think this is probably conspiracy theory.this thing really happened sometimes and not just in audio world. in audio, one of the notorious case is the lexicon and mark levinson with his red rose music
http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-...-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back