Grado Fan Club!
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #28,831 of 65,649

I suspect it might be better to post it in a thread devoted to comparing various Grado models, similar to what @Giogio has done in his thread "Huge Comparison of [Almost] All The Best BT Headphones" or similar title.  There (and in mine), the rule would be to concentrate on comparing two or more Grado models. 

What do you think.... is a thread devoted to comparison of models of Grado able to stand on its own?  Or is that better in this thread?

A man of your talent, knowledge sense of humour, and age (ehm...) should definitely open a new thread.
You know how I think. Headphones must be compared. We read black on white, not black on black. The differences between objects are what make us able to understand the individualities of each object.
And you are very good at describing them. It will be very helpful for everybody wanting to buy or already owning Grado's.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #28,833 of 65,649
  Well, didn't know if you were a woman, so I took a look at you nude photo's (hoping you were)…you got me, thats a good one!

Those of you who can't quite figure out what @joseph69 is talking about, one of the links in @Giogio signature line is the single most accessed link on all of head-fi.org.  It is the link that caused head-fi to have to upgrade to amazon-sized servers to handle the traffic that it drew, which of course concomitantly sped up the site for all of us. It is the link labeled "picture of me naked." 

I had to think about it, and I follow both joseph69 and giogio religiously, so a less active follower may have difficulty figuring out the reference.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #28,835 of 65,649
  I usually do a lot of opinions research and i remember that the final verdict was against G-cush on PS500e,more comfortable-yes but messes up the sound quality,although i can not attest that personally.

I can understand why someone would describe the sound of PS500/e with G cushs as "messed up". On certain kind of amps, or in my case, on certain tubes, the trebs sound miserably broken, very similar to what you get when converting a 128kps mp3 to 320kps. The mids sound as if the singer has nose problems and the bass don't retain much control.. 

IMHO Earzonk G cushs are better than original Grado cushs for the PS500. I had EZ Gs on my PS500 until I (had to) let them go. Anyway, with bass-oriented tubes and clear-sounding DAC, I think I got the best out of my old PS500. Better than the original at about 30%, perhaps. I have never been able to quantify my audio measures precisely.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #28,836 of 65,649
Sorry if this questions a bit of a 'dead horse', but I thought where better to ask than a fan club! :p

I've read a lot about Grado, and they sure have grabbed my attention, but finding somewhere in my area where I can demo them, now that's a different story altogether. This is where I hope you guys can help.  

From all the reviews and comments I've read it's pretty clear that the SR80e's a steal at $99, but I've also read some positive reviews on the SR325e, and I'm just wondering, how do they stack up against the SR80e from a price / value for money perspective? Is there a massive improvement in sound, and is it worth the upgrade and 'skipping' over the 80?  

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #28,837 of 65,649
Sorry if this questions a bit of a 'dead horse', but I thought where better to ask than a fan club! :p

I've read a lot about Grado, and they sure have grabbed my attention, but finding somewhere in my area where I can demo them, now that's a different story altogether. This is where I hope you guys can help.  

From all the reviews and comments I've read it's pretty clear that the SR80e's a steal at $99, but I've also read some positive reviews on the SR325e, and I'm just wondering, how do they stack up against the SR80e from a price / value for money perspective? Is there a massive improvement in sound, and is it worth the upgrade and 'skipping' over the 80?  

You might take a look at the thread in my signature line, "4D comparison of 13 Grados" or the like in title, where I compared and ranked 13 Grado models that I had at the time, including the SR80 (not -e, though, as I don't have it) and the SR325e. The SR 325e comes out ahead of the SR80, as you would expect, and it is #8 in the rank order, with the SR80 at #11.

The SR80, I think, still has a day or two at about $85 on the massdrop.com site. There is a clear improvement of the SR325e over the SR80, mainly as improved transparency and treble detail with perhaps a bit more bass and a larger soundstage (perhaps because the 325 uses the L bowls that move the headphone driver farther from the ear than the flat pads of the 80).

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #28,838 of 65,649

It's alway nice to welcome a new Storm Trooper, to The Dark Side.
beerchug.gif

I don't know how much you know about Gradon, but In my opinion, the SR80e, is one of Grado's ''no brainer'' products. I also think that they sound even better with Grado's own, L earpads.

I listen to my SR80e/L, mostly trough one of my vintage Marantz recievers, or trough my Little Dot 1+, with Voskhod tubes. I find that the smooth sound of the Marantz, or LD-1+, pairs well with Grado's analitical sound .

I also think that, with a good pair of tubes, the LD-1+, can adequatly drive any Grado model you throw it's way. I often use my LD-1+ with my PS1000.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #28,839 of 65,649

The gist is... if you happen to like or love Grado, then the 325e is well worth your money. If you don't like Grado..., you'll feel that 80e and 325e sounds pretty much the same with some refinements. So the 80e is a great deal when you look at it that way.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #28,840 of 65,649
You might take a look at the thread in my signature line, "4D comparison of 13 Grados" or the like in title, where I compared and ranked 13 Grado models that I had at the time, including the SR80 (not -e, though, as I don't have it) and the SR325e. The SR 325e comes out ahead of the SR80, as you would expect, and it is #8 in the rank order, with the SR80 at #11.

The SR80, I think, still has a day or two at about $85 on the massdrop.com site. There is a clear improvement of the SR325e over the SR80, mainly as improved transparency and treble detail with perhaps a bit more bass and a larger soundstage (perhaps because the 325 uses the L bowls that move the headphone driver farther from the ear than the flat pads of the 80).

Thanks for that, had a look at your thread and what a great read! Has given me a great insight as to how they each compare to each other, and probably made it an even harder choice, hahaha. 

Based on that it seems the 325e could be a good 'middle of the road' option for me to 'take a gamble on' considering I have no means of listening to them first.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #28,841 of 65,649

It's alway nice to welcome a new Storm Trooper, to The Dark Side.
beerchug.gif

I don't know how much you know about Gradon, but In my opinion, the SR80e, is one of Grado's ''no brainer'' products. I also think that they sound even better with Grado's own, L earpads.

I listen to my SR80e/L, mostly trough one of my vintage Marantz recievers, or trough my Little Dot 1+, with Voskhod tubes. I find that the smooth sound of the Marantz, or LD-1+, pairs well with Grado's analitical sound .

I also think that, with a good pair of tubes, the LD-1+, can adequatly drive any Grado model you throw it's way. I often use my LD-1+ with my PS1000.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Thanks, now where's my cookies? :p

To be honest, I don't know much about them apart from reviews and opinions that I've read. I've never even heard a pair as I can't find anywhere here where I can at least listen to them - with the exception of one store perhaps that I refuse to support after a really bad (non-existent) customer service experience.

Purchased my first pair of headphones ever, was a Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee but they were faulty and broke after just 3 days of purchase. Store didn't want to replace or refund, said it needs to be sent to supplier for assessment before it can be replaced, long story short, after struggling with them for a further 2  months I gave up, lodged a consumer complaint with the department of commerce and had them sort it out instead. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #28,842 of 65,649

IMO there’s a big improvement in sound between the 80e and 325e.  I own the 80e, 125e and RS2e.  I’m not a big fan of the 80e - too much bass and the overall sound is too in-your-head.  But these traits disappear when you go up the line.  Bass tightens up, soundstage widens - but the intimacy and front row perspective is still there.  IMO, a good Grado to start with is either the 125e or 225e, if you don’t want to spend a lot.  If the 325e is in your budget, then they’re worth checking out, IMO...

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #28,843 of 65,649
Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciate it. 

Since being refunded for the broken Beyerdynamic T90's, I think I've just been trying to figure out whether to buy just one pair of headphones to the value of $700, or perhaps buy 2 completely different pairs for the same price, i.e. Grado SR325e and a Sennheiser HD650 (just examples). 

So many headphones out there....need higher income! *sigh* :p

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #28,844 of 65,649
  Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciate it. 

Since being refunded for the broken Beyerdynamic T90's, I think I've just been trying to figure out whether to buy just one pair of headphones to the value of $700, or perhaps buy 2 completely different pairs for the same price, i.e. Grado SR325e and a Sennheiser HD650 (just examples). 

So many headphones out there....need higher income! *sigh* :p

Honestly, that would be my recommendation for a pair of perfectly complimentary phones.

Just be careful not to rapidly A/B them; your ears will need time to adjust between the very different sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back