Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #28,801 of 65,698
As much as i love the sound of Grado,i have to complain about L-cush,my ears always hurt after 1 hour or hour and a half. I just wish their pads were more comfortable.5 years of suffering with 325i and now ps500e same story, common $600 for not being able to wear it for more than an hour? Grado,do something,please:wink:

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #28,803 of 65,698
  As much as i love the sound of Grado,i have to complain about L-cush,my ears always hurt after 1 hour or hour and a half. I just wish their pads were more comfortable.5 years of suffering with 325i and now ps500e same story, common $600 for not being able to wear it for more than an hour? Grado,do something,please:wink:

Buy a GH-1 and put (G) cushions on them if the (L) cushions are uncomfortable…they work excellent together!

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #28,806 of 65,698
I've decided to sell my PS1K 
eek.gif
 if anyone is interested PM me I will offer it at a very good price!
Otherwise I'm I'll place them on the F/S forum/eBay and see what I can get for them. As you know they are of course in *excellent condition*!

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #28,807 of 65,698
eek.gif
Otherwise I'm I'll place them on the F/S forum/eBay and see what I can get for them. As you know they are of course in *excellent condition*!

my guess is, you've decided you like something enough to take it's place at the top ??

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #28,808 of 65,698
Nice of you to offer them up to somebody in this thread, Joseph.      
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #28,809 of 65,698
  my guess is, you've decided you like something enough to take it's place at the top ??

Nice of you to offer them up to somebody in this thread, Joseph.      
size]

You guessed it.
And it only took about 12hrs of listening to the 009/KGSShv combo. I'll post impressions in due time, but for now all I can say is I had such a musical experience last night with them, that it was/is hard for me to believe… and even today just thinking about last night!

I would definitely like to pass my PS1K on to someone on this thread…I got them NOS for a steal, so I'm going to sell them for a steal…otherwise I'm going to auction them off on eBay.
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #28,810 of 65,698
  …I got them NOS for a steal, so I'm going to sell them for a steal…otherwise I'm going to auction them off on eBay.
beerchug.gif

Please remember to leave your door unlocked at night and your PS1000s prominently placed so someone here can indeed steal them.  Oh, and PM me your street address!!!  

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #28,811 of 65,698
  I've never heard the PS500/e so I couldn't say, but maybe @kayandjohn can chime in and answer your question…he has PLENTY of Grados to compare!

Very quick unscientific listen to my PS500 (don't have the PS500e....yet) vs. the GH-1 (not yet fully broken in... I got mine rather recently)  All comparisons are with the stock L bowls and fed by the Joseph Grado HPA1 amp, and roughly matching the level of the two headphones (GH-1 put out 3 dB more volume than the PS500 at the same input level - PS500e would be more efficient and match the GH-1 level). I was using the first 5 sec of one of my test pieces, "You're Going to Miss Me When I'm Gone" by Band of Heathens on the album One Foot In the Ether:

1. PS500 has both better bass (plucked electric bass) and more sizzly clearer transparent trebles  (cymbals);
  2. GH-1 has larger soundstage, moving the instruments just a bit further away and more around you (larger angle subtended)
  3. Differences are very small... both are great headphones and if I was doing blind listening and level was matched, I am not sure that I could accurately distinguish them.

Hope this helps.  I haven't yet done my more formal 10-point listening tests, as my GH-1 are still new (and I haven't had much time).

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #28,812 of 65,698
I have a set of PS500e that are broken in, and a broken in GH-1. They are very similar. PS500e bass slightly more present. GH-1 treble slightly more detailed. GH-1 is 5x more comfortable due to weight. Add G-Cush to GH-1 and they improve about 20%.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #28,813 of 65,698
  Very quick unscientific listen to my PS500 (don't have the PS500e....yet) vs. the GH-1 (not yet fully broken in... I got mine rather recently)  All comparisons are with the stock L bowls and fed by the Joseph Grado HPA1 amp, and roughly matching the level of the two headphones (GH-1 put out 3 dB more volume than the PS500 at the same input level - PS500e would be more efficient and match the GH-1 level). I was using the first 5 sec of one of my test pieces, "You're Going to Miss Me When I'm Gone" by Band of Heathens on the album One Foot In the Ether:

1. PS500 has both better bass (plucked electric bass) and more sizzly clearer transparent trebles  (cymbals);
  2. GH-1 has larger soundstage, moving the instruments just a bit further away and more around you (larger angle subtended)
  3. Differences are very small... both are great headphones and if I was doing blind listening and level was matched, I am not sure that I could accurately distinguish them.

Hope this helps.  I haven't yet done my more formal 10-point listening tests, as my GH-1 are still new (and I haven't had much time).

I've been very curious about the GH1 in comparison to the original PS500 that I own, thanks for your input on these.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #28,814 of 65,698
to add my own story here:

i'll be a first-time grado modee in the coming weeks. 
i had my heart set on a new 325e for a long time,
but just having stumbled upon the magnum thread (been all over that thread recently), and seeing that new drivers v6 had just come out, i read into things a bit more -- 
modding typically scares the hell out of me.
and in the course of two days, i've altered my course completely.

bought:
|used sr60s from ebay ($50)
|l pad & senn pad - sunflower mod recommended ($38)
|v6 magnum driver ($120)

will buy:
|cups (anywhere from $50 to $150)

it's just a matter of either waiting for magnum to put out their own 3d model cups which i could then have printed
or f'ing off patience and just splurging on some cups. as someone entirely new to the modding community,
looking through all of these gorgeously crafted pieces is one of the great rewards in all of this.
then, as these pieces come to me, hopefully i'll find a vendor for putting it all together.
when it is all said and done, i'll be curious to hear how these ($250 - $350) compare to what else is out there.. sr325s, senns, hifiman, akg, etc.

i'll be pairing these with an x1s. caught a sale and bought them for $225.
likewise, i had my heart set on an aune t1 mk2 for the longest time, but i stumbled upon r1s reviews, and as slightly post-entry level dac/amps go, they look fantastic.

oh yeah, this has been my setup for the past 5-6 years: :)
ath ad-700
hotusb1

and breathe.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #28,815 of 65,698

Considering how many people prefer the G-cush with the GH-1, I'm surprised that you didn't give them a try.
confused.gif

eek.gif

Wow, this is some news!
eek.gif

I'm happy for you Buddy. Those 009 have to be very impressive, for you to be selling your PS1k so soon.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back