Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #28,771 of 65,693
HP2 is from eBay and PS1 is from my friend.

Thank you, I posted the HP2but I didn't see the PS1…because your friend has it. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #28,772 of 65,693
I received my KGSSHV (while I wait for the BHSE) this afternoon, so tonight will be the first time I'll hear the SR-009. Hope I'm going to love these after sufficient burn-in and getting use to their sound-signature compared to my Grado's. I also forgot to post my impression of the HE1K driven by my GS-1. In short they became very addicting HP's after using them for 30+hrs and are one of the best HP's ​I've ever had the experience to listen to…but I still wouldn't pay $3K for them, but they are very, very sweet sounding and have a way of drawing you into the music very much and the more listened to them the more I liked them. To be honest, if these were 
$1.2-1.5K I could see myself owning a pair. 

BTW, I'm scared schiit to listen to the 009, even though I could take a quick listen right now, I'm afraid (don't know why 
confused_face.gif
) so I'll wait until tonight.
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #28,773 of 65,693
44 years ago today, we lost duane  , my absolute favorite guitar player
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/in-memory-of-duane-allman-anniversary-of-his-untimely-death/

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #28,774 of 65,693

BTW, I'm scared schiit to listen to the 009, even though I could take a quick listen right now, I'm afraid (don't know why 
confused_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Be brave, Joseph.  We are all here for you.  Any one of us would trade one of our Grados for your Stax SR-009 to help get that scarey old headphone away from you!

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #28,775 of 65,693
Oddball question.  Anyone have any idea which font the HP1000 uses on the cups?

Edit: It appears to be a standard, non-bold Helvetica.  Maybe Helvetica Neue?  I'm not a typographer.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #28,776 of 65,693
  I received my KGSSHV (while I wait for the BHSE) this afternoon, so tonight will be the first time I'll hear the SR-009. Hope I'm going to love these after sufficient burn-in and getting use to their sound-signature compared to my Grado's. I also forgot to post my impression of the HE1K driven by my GS-1. In short they became very addicting HP's after using them for 30+hrs and are one of the best HP's ​I've ever had the experience to listen to…but I still wouldn't pay $3K for them, but they are very, very sweet sounding and have a way of drawing you into the music very much and the more listened to them the more I liked them. To be honest, if these were 
$1.2-1.5K I could see myself owning a pair. 

confused_face.gif
beerchug.gif

popcorn.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #28,777 of 65,693

Quote:

Be brave, Joseph.  We are all here for you.  Any one of us would trade one of our Grados for your Stax SR-009 to help get that scarey old headphone away from you!

LMAO!
Thanks for the support!
Just started listening and I'm very surprised (in a good way) at their sound-signature, I had no idea what to expect being I take most impressions with a grain of salt because everyone hears differently and has their own preferences, and many of the HP's I thought would sound as described by others, were not for me…but right out of the box! 
L3000.gif

After I spend enough time (which sounds like it shouldn't take long, I'll give my impressions. 
size]

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #28,778 of 65,693
  The lettering looks like its in excellent condition and the black specs all over the cups are from the old cushions, and I also can't see were the cable is twisted being the picture is very dark where the cable come out of the cup. Very strange that the rod block adjuster screws are facing inward…very strange.

Very strange indeed. I realise that for some people, this might not be a big deal, but now that Joseph is no longer with us to service them, I would definately ask for more detailed pictrues, before pulling the trigger.

Oh!, and, I'd also inquire about those rod blocks, and scews. 

Sure look nice, don't they? Even though aficionados regard this version, the HP2, as improved over my HP1 original version (and the ones sent in to Joseph Grado for upgrade of pads, metal, and cable as even more improved), I am fully delighted with mine as being the Original. It is in true mint condition and was priced in accordance with the earlier post estimating market prices.

I don't see the HP2, as an improved version of the HP1. To my knowledge, aside from the polarity switch, they're the same headphones. In fact, from what I've seen, the HP1 are THE most de$irable of the three.

However, regarding the HP1000's , dedicated amp, the HPA-2, had different capacitors than the HPA-1, and was meant to be an improvement. As some of you know though, I think that when you get to a certain level, we should replace the word better, with different, wich means that many people might end up preferring the previous model. Case in point, Grado's own RS1e.

Oh!, and John, I'm confused, in your last phrase, were you referring to my evaluations of the HP1000.
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #28,779 of 65,693

''Any of us would trade one of our Grados for your Stax-009''.
eek.gif

How about, ''ALL of our Grados!'', because if only one will do, I'd gladly send Joseph my SR80i, for his 009!
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #28,781 of 65,693
Very strange indeed. I realise that for some people, this might not be a big deal, but now that Joseph is no longer with us to service them, I would definately ask for more detailed pictrues, before pulling the trigger.

Oh!, and John, I'm confused, in your last phrase, were you referring to my evaluations of the HP1000.:confused:

Yes. Good job of enumerating conditions of HP-1s and associated fair market value.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #28,782 of 65,693

I don't see the HP2, as an improved version of the HP1. To my knowledge, aside from the polarity switch, they're the same headphones. In fact, from what I've seen, the HP1 are THE most de$irable of the three.

The HP2 are often considered to be the "best" of the three because they have the same driver matching as the HP1 but without the polarity switch.  That switch, in addition to being in the signal path, is a possible point of failure.  It also adds more wiring to the cup, which changes the sound somewhat.  When you sent these to Joe for repair, unless you specifically stated otherwise he would disconnect the polarity switches.

The polarity switch is unique, beautiful, and clearly identifies the headphone.  It's value is historic, largely, especially because it's trivial to change phase in software now.  For archival or collection purposes, the consensus seems to be that the HP1 is tops.  Some seem to prefer the HP2, at least in theory, for reliability and sound quality.

The HP3 is theoretically not matched as well, though they are desirable because of their rarity.  Also, since there are no distinguishing marks between an HP2 and an HP3, a number of the latter may have been sold on the used market as the former, for more resale value.  You can't trust that it's an HP3 unless you have the original paperwork.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #28,783 of 65,693

The HP2 are often considered to be the "best" of the three because they have the same driver matching as the HP1 but without the polarity switch.  That switch, in addition to being in the signal path, is a possible point of failure.  It also adds more wiring to the cup, which changes the sound somewhat.  When you sent these to Joe for repair, unless you specifically stated otherwise he would disconnect the polarity switches.

The polarity switch is unique, beautiful, and clearly identifies the headphone.  It's value is historic, largely, especially because it's trivial to change phase in software now.  For archival or collection purposes, the consensus seems to be that the HP1 is tops.  Some seem to prefer the HP2, at least in theory, for reliability and sound quality.

The HP3 is theoretically not matched as well, though they are desirable because of their rarity.  Also, since there are no distinguishing marks between an HP2 and an HP3, a number of the latter may have been sold on the used market as the former, for more resale value.  You can't trust that it's an HP3 unless you have the original paperwork.  

great post, good info on here for those of us not very familiar with the three versions...

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #28,785 of 65,693
  @Sherwood could you shed some light on the Sr100, Sr200, Sr300 and Sr 325 with black star drivers?

Sure!  These are pretty uncommon, but there's some info out there.

All the SR '00 series (100, 200, 300) are from a small period of time when John was the head of Grado, but Joe was still at the office working and putting out products.  The transition between the two was not seamless, and to the end of Joe's life there was some tension between John and Joe.

According to marketing material, Joe designed the HP1000s to be studio monitoring headphones, and that's what he considered them to be to the end of his life.  The only testimonials he printed were from mastering engineers, and his own notes all speak of them being used for live recordings or to test products.  They were always a listening tool, not a consumer product.  The SR100, 200, and 300 were consumer products, designed to appeal to home users.  They had a slightly different sound (due to cup design and material) and were sold at a lower price.  All three shared the same cup material and build construction, but the driver matching was better on the higher-numbered models.  At this time (1990-1991) all Grado headphones used the blackstar driver.  In theory, these drivers were tested in-house and carefully matched, with the very best placed in HP1s and HP2s, and the rest placed in HP3, SR300, SR200, then finally SR100.  In practice, who knows?!  I doubt that Grado Labs, a family business operated out of a house in Brooklyn undergoing a semi-hostile management change from Joe to John, made driver matching their highest priority.  I imagine there are plenty of first-rate drivers in SR100 headphones, especially since the HP1000s were limited as to how many were produced.

The SR100, 200, and 300 all have a "Red Letter" and a "White Letter" variant.  The red is considered to be earlier, and they all contain the blackstar driver designed and ordered by Joe.  The white ones seem to be produced under John, and have a mix of black and white drivers.

The white version is where things get murky.  There's less hard evidence here, and not enough models out in the wild to be 100% sure, but here's my understanding.  As the company transitioned from Joe's control to John's control, Joe's product lines were scuppered slowly.  This did not happen all at once, however, and there was backstock of drivers laying around the shop for some time.  Eventually, the SR100, SR200, and SR300 were supplanted by the SR 125, 225, and 325 which would share a single, white driver.  In the meantime, some had blackstar drivers, and some had "pink" drivers, the same as the earliest RS1 models.  That seemed to happen around 1995, finally.  In the 4 years between 1991 and 1995, headphones of all variants got produced.

This mishmash of poorly documented but excellent headphones is, to me, the primary charm of Grados.  Between 1989 and 1994, that place was making ridiculous magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back