Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #22,201 of 66,078
@kayandjohn  How do you think the M100 compare to the Grados? I've heard that they are quite close to the Porta Pro (which, IMO, is closer to the SR60 than other entry-level cans). Having a closed pair for the streets will be nice, and I'm thinking about the M100

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #22,202 of 66,078
I could buy the PS500e from headphone.com and receive 20% off this weekend. Interesting, all of the other models are sold out.

I tried this as well. Once I got to check out, screen said the discount wouldn't work for the PS500. Pisser, but think I'll pop for them anyway and see what they are all about, compare to the RS2es I currently have.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #22,203 of 66,078
I tried this as well. Once I got to check out, screen said the discount wouldn't work for the PS500. Pisser, but think I'll pop for them anyway and see what they are all about, compare to the RS2es I currently have.

I highly recommend you give Todd at TTVJ a call prior to purchasing them anywhere else in the States. He sponsored the loaner program for the launch of the "e" Series and was great about working with me when I purchased mine. You can contact him here.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com 

Cheers, 
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #22,204 of 66,078
Quote:
  @kayandjohn  How do you think the M100 compare to the Grados? I've heard that they are quite close to the Porta Pro (which, IMO, is closer to the SR60 than other entry-level cans). Having a closed pair for the streets will be nice, and I'm thinking about the M100

The V-MODA M-100 has wonderful bass, much more than  Grado, and is over-ear rather than on-ear as most Grados are, and hence are more comfortable (but they do clamp rather firmly!).  Since they are closed, they both insulate you from outside noises and insulate folks around you from your music.

The Grados are lighter in weight and have a wonderful transparency, speed, and openness in their middle and upper range, and their bass, while much lighter than the M-100, is clearer, in that you hear more of the harmonics and tone of a low note rather than a lonely fundamental frequency... i.e. low notes on a Grado are not as strong but distinguish among instrument types and have better discernable pitch.  Since the Grados are open, the sound is less echo-y than with the M-100s.  However, the on-ear Grados (all but the G1000 and PS1000) do not seem to me to have as large a soundstage as the M-100, for some reason.

M-100 has made it to Tyll Hertsen's Wall of Fame at innerfidelity.com, a privilege he reserves for only about 10  closed headphones.  The Grado Prestige Series, on the other hand, has been acclaimed by Consumers' Reports as The Best (of the top 10 headphones, the five Grado Prestige Series models were in the first seven, including #1, which is the SR325e, and #2).

Both M-100 and Grado work well straight from an iPod, but are improved by an amp.  M-100 has a wonderful matching amp from V-MODA (Versa I think it is called); the Grados have a wonderful matching amp from Grado (RA-1).

M-100 comes in a really enticing great box (look at the one in the picture in my classified in my signature line); Grado comes in a pizza box.  M-100 has a light cable of about 3-1/2' length with an inline mic and pause/resume switch (NOT a full iPod control with volume); Grado has a heavy 6 foot cable that you have to figure out what to do with if you are using it with a portable iPod.

M-100 actually fold up for portability and go into a hard case with a belt clip (again, see my photos).  Grados don't.  

M-100s have Italian style (as does my favorite car, the FIAT) and advertise with wonderful videos and beautiful models and sizzle and flash.  They were designed by crowd sourcing and interesting stories elsewhere in head-fi.org relate how user feedback was used to improve headphone aspects right down to the click that the hinges make when you unfold the headphones.  Grados have a retro styling reminiscent of World War II radio headphones.  They actually developed a line of headphones specifically for head-fi.org (called the HF1 and HF2... similar to the present Grado PS500) and limited their sale --- they are collectors items now.  Grados are built in the United States.

The Grado that corresponds in price to the V-MODA M-100 is the SR-325e.  It takes the openness of the "Grado sound" almost to an extreme... brighter and more transparent and faster than the other Grado Prestige Series members, loved by many but fatiguing to some.

We can look at how folks who have both rank one vs. the other... here are 10 persons' rank-order list from one year's worth (2000 headphone rankings) of the thread "Rank The Headphones That You Own."  There is one row of 5 lists here, then another row of 5 more lists. As you can tally, the Grado SR325(i or non-i) are ranked above the M-100 by all three of the 10 people that had M-100s that also had the SR325.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and of course, comparison plots...

Grado SR325 (blue) has less low-frequency response but more treble transparency than V-MODA M-100 (red)

Noise isolation of the Grado SR325 (blue) is nearly non existent, while the V-MODA M-100 (red) provides -25 dB isolation in the range of speech:  this is what one would expect from an open (Grado) vs closed (V-MODA) headphone.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #22,205 of 66,078
I highly recommend you give Todd at TTVJ a call prior to purchasing them anywhere else in the States. He sponsored the loaner program for the launch of the "e" Series and was great about working with me when I purchased mine. You can contact him here.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com 

Cheers, :beerchug:

Thx. I have emailed with them in the past and am planning to order from them, both the phones and the G Cush.

Appreciate the heads up.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #22,207 of 66,078
guys!

some of you read my posts for the past 3 days regarding the perfect budget-fi replacement to sr80e (which was shure 940), and what could replace that in terms of midrange. Today i tried playing around with Foobar equalizer. this is my first time playing around with equalizer. as som of you may know from the content of my posts, im quite new to head-fi and sound description world. (though i had grado since i was of legal age to drive).

anyway.... and

basically i tried my best to replicate the sr325 midrange frequency graph with equalizer as my primary issue with the dt880 is that the upper mids isn't as forward as the grado. and voila! now the dt880 sounds good!

Also, according to the FR, the dt880 has slight roll-off at 2k-6k so since i haven't change anything at the 2k-6k range while adding 1-5db to the 1000-2000 range it gives the illusion that the midrange is overpowering the treble somewhat, which i don't mind one bit! Well i feel like i lose some micro-details but i love me some equalized-dt880-to-mirror-sr325i

hah!

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #22,208 of 66,078
  Congrats, Joseph....you looking for a better SS amp than the soloist ?

Thank you!
I had my heart set on a GS-1 when I decided to get a S amp…so I went on HeadAmps site and ordered a GS-1 only realize when I went to proceed to pay, it was then the site said "sold out". I didn't know they haven't been made for a while now, so I bought the Soloist, but all along knew if I found a GS-1, I would buy it, and the opportunity came along, so I bought it. It's not so much that I was looking for a better SS amp, the Soloist is a great amp, and wouldn't have bought anything else if the opportunity for the GS-1 didn't come along. So I just need to listen to the GS-1 (only listened for less than an hour before) and hear which I prefer. I'm also waiting for the upgraded Dynalo+ modules from Justin at HeadAmp to arrive and hear how they sound. In the very short listening time, the amp sounds very smooth/natural. 

very nice joseph !

Thank's Jay!
I'll give some impressions in couple of days.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #22,209 of 66,078
  The Grado OEM pads have multiple densities of foam in them... for example, the part that sits against your head is the densest.  The Ear Zonk are all the same density.  I've had both... I much prefer the Grado OEMs... worth the extra price... but I also prefer even more whatever pad size your Grado headphones come with (some folks buy a different size pad to for example make their PS500 look like a PS1000... impresses friends but I don't think it sounds as good.  Grado chooses their pad size as part of their overall headphone design).

OK great thanks for that information!!  I think I'll give the Zonks a try, they're affordable enough to at least demo them first hand.  I always found the Grado pad higher density layer to be a little abrasive against my outer ears.  I have been wearing modded S-Cush comfy pads for so long now for their comfort factor... it might be difficult going back.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #22,210 of 66,078

The V-MODA M-100 has wonderful bass, much more than  Grado, and is over-ear rather than on-ear as most Grados are, and hence are more comfortable (but they do clamp rather firmly!).  Since they are closed, they both insulate you from outside noises and insulate folks around you from your music.

The Grados are lighter in weight and have a wonderful transparency, speed, and openness in their middle and upper range, and their bass, while much lighter than the M-100, is clearer, in that you hear more of the harmonics and tone of a low note rather than a lonely fundamental frequency... i.e. low notes on a Grado are not as strong but distinguish among instrument types and have better discernable pitch.  Since the Grados are open, the sound is less echo-y than with the M-100s.  However, the on-ear Grados (all but the G1000 and PS1000) do not seem to me to have as large a soundstage as the M-100, for some reason.

M-100 has made it to Tyll Hertsen's Wall of Fame at innerfidelity.com, a privilege he reserves for only about 10  closed headphones.  The Grado Prestige Series, on the other hand, has been acclaimed by Consumers' Reports as The Best (of the top 10 headphones, the five Grado Prestige Series models were in the first seven, including #1, which is the SR325e, and #2).

Both M-100 and Grado work well straight from an iPod, but are improved by an amp.  M-100 has a wonderful matching amp from V-MODA (Versa I think it is called); the Grados have a wonderful matching amp from Grado (RA-1).

M-100 comes in a really enticing great box (look at the one in the picture in my classified in my signature line); Grado comes in a pizza box.  M-100 has a light cable of about 3-1/2' length with an inline mic and pause/resume switch (NOT a full iPod control with volume); Grado has a heavy 6 foot cable that you have to figure out what to do with if you are using it with a portable iPod.

M-100 actually fold up for portability and go into a hard case with a belt clip (again, see my photos).  Grados don't.  

M-100s have Italian style (as does my favorite car, the FIAT) and advertise with wonderful videos and beautiful models and sizzle and flash.  They were designed by crowd sourcing and interesting stories elsewhere in head-fi.org relate how user feedback was used to improve headphone aspects right down to the click that the hinges make when you unfold the headphones.  Grados have a retro styling reminiscent of World War II radio headphones.  They actually developed a line of headphones specifically for head-fi.org (called the HF1 and HF2... similar to the present Grado PS500) and limited their sale --- they are collectors items now.  Grados are built in the United States.

The Grado that corresponds in price to the V-MODA M-100 is the SR-325e.  It takes the openness of the "Grado sound" almost to an extreme... brighter and more transparent and faster than the other Grado Prestige Series members, loved by many but fatiguing to some.

We can look at how folks who have both rank one vs. the other... here are 10 persons' rank-order list from one year's worth (2000 headphone rankings) of the thread "Rank The Headphones That You Own."  There is one row of 5 lists here, then another row of 5 more lists. As you can tally, the Grado SR325(i or non-i) are ranked above the M-100 by all three of the 10 people that had M-100s that also had the SR325.

Hope this helps!  I tried not to say, "why the V-MODA M-100 is better of course and here is my classified ad selling one (while I keep my Grado 325s!)"

Oh, and of course, comparison plots...

Grado SR325 (blue) has less low-frequency response but more treble transparency than V-MODA M-100 (red)

Noise isolation of the Grado SR325 (blue) is nearly non existent, while the V-MODA M-100 (red) provides -25 dB isolation in the range of speech:  this is what one would expect from an open (Grado) vs closed (V-MODA) headphone.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #22,211 of 66,078
  OK great thanks for that information!!  I think I'll give the Zonks a try, they're affordable enough to at least demo them first hand.  I always found the Grado pad higher density layer to be a little abrasive against my outer ears.  I have been wearing modded S-Cush comfy pads for so long now for their comfort factor... it might be difficult going back.

The Earzonks are much more easy on the ear - they're softer and feel nicer. One thing I don't like about stock pads is that they're too harsh at first and when they're near disintegration... they're gross.

But then the Earzonks change the sound. The EZ L-cushs will change your Grados similar to what the tape mod does. I've found on my old, un-burnt 325e that the EZs do tame the trebs and make the sound warmer. However the EZs will make your cans lose details in bass and lower-mids.
To have the maximum bass Grados, try this: put the PS500 on EZ L-Cush, tape-mod them, and put them on a warm, bassy tube amp (like the LD I+ with Mullards CV4010). There, you've just Beats-ified your Grados! Not that I recommend you to, cos tape-moding the EZ L-Cushs give horrible Metal riffs.

The EZ G-cushs look substantially less-sophisticated than the stock ones - that's to spell "cheaper" (and "looking a whole lot cheaper"). I don't have the stock Gs with me here to compare, but on my old MSPro modded to MS Ultimate, the G-cushs lose a few details at the lower ends.

Normally G-cushs will drain your Grados of bass and turn mids and trebles into shrieking. As the PS500 are already bassy in comparison to the SR and RS line, on this wood-metal hybrid pair, that's not a problem anymore. I've said it once and I will say it again, that SR and RS cans (as well as all the Aless) sound like defective speakers to me when equipped with G-cushs (EZs or stock), but in 3 days I've grown very fond of my PS500 with G-cushs. Instrumental piano and classical music sound great on this one. Now I have 2 pairs of Grados, one with better highs and one with better lows - I just need the 325is (yep, specifically, the IS) to fill in the blank, and then that's it for the upgraditus instinct in me.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #22,212 of 66,078
Again thanks to @kayandjohn for your informative post. I've not been able to audition the M100 yet, perhaps next week I'll go to a local headphone store. It's hard to believe that a closed pair can have larger soundstage than the Grados, but it's true that 325is are very intimate. The 325e, while sounding airier, still count as "intimate" to me. 

Anyway, in term of sound, the M100 seems promising. Perhaps I can even order a customized pair.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #22,213 of 66,078
Great thanks for that feedback!!  I really appreciate it.
I am asking about the EZ pads for my SennGrado modded SR60i... which has a pretty pronounced bass-heavy signature.  So I want to try the EZ G-cush pads to try and tame the bass and also increase soundstage / imaging.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #22,214 of 66,078
Bah! The left driver on my Gs1ki bit the dust yesterday morning while watching a movie. I started hearing a distortion on the left side when low frequencies came on, then in a matter of seconds the volume on that side started dropping till it was completely dead.
They are now on their way to Brooklyn for repairs...

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #22,215 of 66,078
Bah! The left driver on my Gs1ki bit the dust yesterday morning while watching a movie. I started hearing a distortion on the left side when low frequencies came on, then in a matter of seconds the volume on that side started dropping till it was completely dead.
They are now on their way to Brooklyn for repairs...

my 325e's just made that trip, new drivers, added a 1/4" jack, and back to me in just over a week, listening to them right now !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back