Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #22,186 of 66,078
  The Grado OEM pads have multiple densities of foam in them... for example, the part that sits against your head is the densest.  The Ear Zonk are all the same density.  I've had both... I much prefer the Grado OEMs... worth the extra price... but I also prefer even more whatever pad size your Grado headphones come with (some folks buy a different size pad to for example make their PS500 look like a PS1000... impresses friends but I don't think it sounds as good.  Grado chooses their pad size as part of their overall headphone design).

@kayandjohn you definitely have much more Grado experience than I do, but I absolutely love the G-Pads with my 500e's. I care less how they look or who they impress, sonically they are outstanding. I do lust after your collection though...PS1000's would be a nice gesture too a new Gradoite...

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #22,187 of 66,078

the little dot 1+ is not very big....like 61/2" long and 4" wide

It weighs 3.3 pounds. I was originally looking at the Cayin C5 or the JDS labs C5 or C5D which is a little over a pound.

@ArmAndHammer Yes, something which is more portable.

You are looking for a portable amp, not a desktop......that is a whole other ball game

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #22,188 of 66,078

The Grado OEM pads have multiple densities of foam in them... for example, the part that sits against your head is the densest.  The Ear Zonk are all the same density.  I've had both... I much prefer the Grado OEMs... worth the extra price... but I also prefer even more whatever pad size your Grado headphones come with (some folks buy a different size pad to for example make their PS500 look like a PS1000... impresses friends but I don't think it sounds as good.  Grado chooses their pad size as part of their overall headphone design).

@kayandjohn you definitely have much more Grado experience than I do, but I absolutely love the G-Pads with my 500e's. I care less how they look or who they impress, sonically they are outstanding. I do lust after your collection though...PS1000's would be a nice gesture too a new Gradoite...

lol.....I hear you...my friends are far from impressed with my gear.......they tell me that i have more funds than brains  
tongue.gif

In a way , I do envy them though, they love music, and have no desire to spend over a couple hundred dollars to enjoy it...or maybe even less....it is all about the music for them.

I do believe that we could all learn from them in a weird sort of way......and not do so much "critical" listening....and just enjoy the music.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #22,189 of 66,078
I could buy the PS500e from headphone.com and receive 20% off this weekend. Interesting, all of the other models are sold out.

Do It!  But prepare... it was the PS500 that led me down the path of perdition to subsequently buy 9 Grado headphones (with one more still on order) and 2 Grado amps!!!!  For Shame!

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #22,190 of 66,078
  lol.....I hear you...my friends are far from impressed with my gear.......they tell me that i have more funds than brains  
tongue.gif

In a way , I do envy them though, they love music, and have no desire to spend over a couple hundred dollars to enjoy it...or maybe even less....it is all about the music for them.

I do believe that we could all learn from them in a weird sort of way......and not do so much "critical" listening....and just enjoy the music.

You know, I thought that way until my wife gave me my Grado PS1000s.  Since then, I have rearranged my listening area to have a comfortable chair for listening to them.  I find that, WAYYY more than with any other headphone (including my Sennhesier HD 800 (with its matching Colorware red-and-black amp!) I find myself Just Listening through my PS1000s.  Not pecking on my iPad or doing housework on foot, but sitting and just listening to the music.  It was the combination of those headphones and the upgraded chair that caused my music to move from background to foreground.  And I look forward to listening to them, using them as a mental reward to myself for completing a task (clean this toilet in 10 min and then go listen!!!).

I sure LOVE these PS1000s!

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #22,191 of 66,078
Thanks for all your help.
biggrin.gif
I'm sold with the PS500e. As for ordering from that website, I guess the coupon doesn't work for Grado.

I looked up the size of the little dot 1+ hybrid. Too bad it's not little!!

Don't know if you are considering solid state amps, but the JDS Labs C-Moy with Bass Boost (in the Altoid mint box) is Fabulous with Grados.  Some claim that the $350 Grado RA-1, costing 5X the price of the C-Moy, is the same circuit.  I have both and I don't think they sound the same, but I do know that the Altoid mint box is small and the amp is Great!  Bass boost is switchable, and some folks switch out different op-amps just as people roll tubes with the LD 1+.

Oh, and if you order the C-Moy new direct from JDS,  and if you tell them what headphones you will be using it for, they will tune it for that headphone.

More here:  http://www.jdslabs.com/products/1/cmoybb-v2-03-headphone-amplifier/

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #22,192 of 66,078

tongue.gif

You know, I thought that way until my wife gave me my Grado PS1000s.  Since then, I have rearranged my listening area to have a comfortable chair for listening to them.  I find that, WAYYY more than with any other headphone (including my Sennhesier HD 800 (with its matching Colorware red-and-black amp!) I find myself Just Listening through my PS1000s.  Not pecking on my iPad or doing housework on foot, but sitting and just listening to the music.  It was the combination of those headphones and the upgraded chair that caused my music to move from background to foreground.  And I look forward to listening to them, using them as a mental reward to myself for completing a task (clean this toilet in 10 min and then go listen!!!).

I sure LOVE these PS1000s!

Yeah, a comfy chair is a must for listening to music.....and a place to sit your bourbon 
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #22,193 of 66,078
  Yeah, a comfy chair is a must for listening to music.....and a place to sit your bourbon 
biggrin.gif

... or my Bushmill's Irish whiskey, if ever I am so fortunate as to snare a pair of Grado Bushmills at a price I can afford.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #22,194 of 66,078

biggrin.gif

... or my Bushmill's Irish whiskey, if ever I am so fortunate as to snare a pair of Grado Bushmills at a price I can afford.

Yah, Yah.  If I go to Irish, I do Powers.  Mostly I go to bourbon which is Weller.  Wonderful!

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #22,195 of 66,078
warren, derek, and jimmy !

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #22,197 of 66,078
Jan 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #22,198 of 66,078
  Received a GS-1 this afternoon and I'm listening with the PS1K's!
Very smooth with a natural sound…nothing but the music.

size]

beerchug.gif

very nice joseph !

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #22,199 of 66,078
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #22,200 of 66,078
Listening to this through RS1i. I had a friend over on Thursday, and made them listen to it. They started crying, because they just realized what music is supposed to sound like...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back