++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #29,251 of 29,490
Quote:
hi guys, I'm undecided between these headphone models do not know which one to buy:
- Beyerdynamic custom one pro
- AKG k550
- AKG K242 HD
mainly listening pop music, hip-op, rap ... and use with PC / TV amplifier so without
budget: 180-250 $

Need a little more information...

1. Budget of $180-250.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

May 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #29,252 of 29,490
Quote:
I have not yet heard the 700X.  I can only tell you that there was a wide gap between older 700 and 900.

With regard to durability, that is not a forte of open cans, especially those in your price range.  This should not be a surprise because they are "listen at home" cans because they leak sound and don't isolate well.  Most folks, especially with a little age and minimal moves, aren't going to bang them around.  The DT 880 is semi-open and durable, but it is also above your budget.

I was also considering the DT 880 before.

But would a Sansa Fuze be able to drive them?

I've read that an amp would be needed.

Also, according to Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide, they have trouble picking up things behind them?
Is that just an isolated incident or true for all DT 800's?

May 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #29,253 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, first post here. I've been wanting to purchase a high quality set of headphones for years now and I am finally in a situation where that will be possible. I am planning to first buy a solid pair of headphones and then eventually a desktop amp that can be plugged into a usb port on my computer. I've done a fair amount of research as to which headphones to go with and have pretty much made up my mind to go with the Grado SR325is. Budget for the cans themselves will be right around $300 and I will be able to drop about the same amount on an amp shortly thereafter. This setup will be for listening to audio files via my desktop PC. I typically listen to progressive house (such as deadmau5 and Paul Oakenfold) and an extremely wide variety of rock (from The Beatles to Metallica). As previously stated, I have done some of my own reading on this subject but would like to hear some advice specific to my situation, ideally from those who listen to the same or similar styles of music. Anyway, I want to know what you headphone veterans think! Is the Grado SR325is a good choice for this kind of music? If not, what would you recommend? Looking for amp suggestions as well. Any advice will be highly appreciated. 

I've listened to the Grado SR325is briefly so I can only tell you how I felt about them from that short session. Firstly they are open, so your sound leaks. If this is for private home use it's probably not a problem but do remember that sound can leak in from the outside world as well. They were also heavy, this isn't necessarily a bad thing for everyone as it's 100% subjective and I used them only briefly. They were comfortable enough otherwise. The sound was great for rock. I listened to some Megadeth, Dream Theater, Van Halen, and Led Zepplin. It handled it all very well. Very good handling of the bass for these bands. The mids highs were spot on as well. Grado really captured the sound of an electric guitar. The only issue I have with the sound is the amount of bass. I did not have time to try to EQ them and test if I can get more bass from them without muddying the rest of the sound, but the bass was good just didn't have enough punch at times. It was a bit odd to me because I expected a thump and I got one but it was reserved. I don't think they would work well for any music which has heavy bass emphasis like Rap and Dubstep. The clarity is pretty amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. You could hear everything, and when I say that I mean it. You really get to know the limits of the recording and source. Any poor recordings or low quality audio files will stand out.

May 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #29,254 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. I'm looking for something semi-portable to use on trips with a Galaxy S3 and possibly a portable amp. My Phone has modified sound drivers with a DSP that allows me to EQ everything. I'd also use them at home as well. I primarily listen to Metal(Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Megadeth etc), Hard Rock (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue etc), Classic rock (Zepplin, UFO etc), & some dubstep.

Anyway, I have the following. Sony MDR-7506 which sound clean, but are a bit flat. Obviously they are made to be neutral, but for music they need a little more feeling to them for my tastes. I can EQ them and make them sound just fine though so don't think that neutral is necessarily bad out of the box. The frequency range isn't as wide though so they do have limitations. The coiled cable is also pretty annoying on the go. They are also old and the padding pretty worn so the comfort isn't there, the hinges are also starting to give. I also have some Sennheiser PC360s which I use for gaming on my PC. I have used them for music and can appreciate the greater range they have vs the MDR-7506. More bass, more powerful mids perhaps. They aren't as "clean" sounding to me though. Still I do appreciate their tone. These are not portable by any means. I also have some Klipsch S4 earbuds which I am not really a fan of. They aren't uncomfortable but I do prefer over the ear headsets for long periods of listening. They also sound a little bass heavy. I appreciate the boomy sound for certain tracks but it is overdone in some classic rock. About the only Headphones I have heard and absolutely hate are Beats, but it's pretty well known on here that they are low SQ.

Basically I need/want something that is good for various rock music, portable enough to be tucked inside a backpack (folding up would possibly be a plus), decent bass but not Beats like, decent sound stage, clear sound (not muddy), doesn't leak too much, are pretty comfortable (subjective), and under the $400 US mark. I am not brand loyal. I appreciate how my Sennheiser PC360s sound, I appreciate the build quality of my Sony MDR 7506s and their clarity. I understand the specs, but I also know that impedance doesn't tell all and a lot of good headphones will have a larger frequency range than I might be able to pick up. So simply looking at specs tells me nothing as to how they sound. I can appreciate some bass at the right time but if it is overpowering it can ruin some songs that have bass but require clarity in the mids and highs.

I am not against going with "studio" headphones like the MDR-7520 or similar if they offer the right stuff. I have not personally heard them so I wouldn't be able to make a comparison for myself. I'm also not stuck on having to have the smallest set available. As I said, I will carry them in a backpack so if they can fit there (possibly fold) it's all good. 

I've been looking most closely at the following so maybe you could give me a push or suggestion as to what would meet my requirements. (budget of $400 or less)

Sennheiser Amperior (discontinued but still available online)
Sony MDR-1R (some people mention a plug rattle from these)
Sony MDR-7520 (have not been able to find a lot of info on these from the perspective of listening to music and a comparison to others like the MDR-1R for example)
Yamaha Pro 500 (Some people have complained about the comfort on these and it seems to be a love it or hate it thing on the looks of them as well as the amount of bass.)

Thanks

Welcome. There's a lot to take in there and some slightly conflicting info, at least when it comes to my tastes. So it seems like you're EQing your 7506 to give it more low end, but your main music tastes center around rock. For me, more emphasized lows actually take away from that genre, but I understand your tastes could be different. Ok, well...

You like the PC360's sound, which is really just an HD 598 with a mic. I think you'd be happier with the Momentum over the Amperior. The Momentum is fairly warm with a very punchy and clean bass, but still has that kind of signature Senn sound. It works great as an all-arounder and seems to have a signature you'd agree with/ They are made to be light and portable so they're perfect for trips. They're efficient so you don't need an amp for them to sound great. They work well at home too. Check out more info on them here.

You also pointed out the MDR-1R which I'm a big fan of. When you talk about Momentum, you also talk about MDR-1R. I also think this would work for you, but the signature is slightly more flat.

May 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #29,255 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones, and my budget is around 200. I plan on using them for listening to dubstep and playing games.
I will use the on-board sound card on my motherboard. Don't want to spend money on an amp, but if you think its necessary, feel free to convince me otherwise. :)

I come from using the Sony XB-500 as headphones, and Logitech z623 speakers.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ATH-M50's.

May 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #29,256 of 29,490
Quote:

Also, according to Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide, they have trouble picking up things behind them?

The DT 880 is a good closed can, but you need an amp to power them properly. I don't like them for positional accuracy, so I don't use them for gaming. For closed can with gaming, there is nothing better than the SHR940. 

May 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #29,257 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Any of the popular portable closed cans with in-line mics will work well for you in this case. MDR-1R or UE 6000. I'm a fan of the MDR-1R.

Thank you a bunch; the MDR-1Rs are over my budget and the UE 6000s don't pass the aesthetic test for me, but I honestly hadn't seen any other models so I will keep looking. I haven't seen much discussion on microphone quality. 

If you're looking on this thread or this section of the forum, you probably won't.  The IEM/portable headphones forum section probably has much more.

May 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #29,258 of 29,490
Quote:
Need a little more information...

1. Budget of $180-250.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

I would use above all in the house, I have no particular preferences on 'isolation' s important is comfort given that I would use a lot of hours, usually listen to pop, hip-hop, rap, mp3 192 kbps, for the moment I do not have the source amplifiers would the sound card integrated on the motherboard / TV, (I'm also considering the purchase of a good sound card)...
those that have impressed me the most were these three
- Beyerdynamic custom one pro
- AKG k550
- AKG K242 HD

May 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #29,259 of 29,490
Quote:
Welcome. There's a lot to take in there and some slightly conflicting info, at least when it comes to my tastes. So it seems like you're EQing your 7506 to give it more low end, but your main music tastes center around rock. For me, more emphasized lows actually take away from that genre, but I understand your tastes could be different. Ok, well...

You like the PC360's sound, which is really just an HD 598 with a mic. I think you'd be happier with the Momentum over the Amperior. The Momentum is fairly warm with a very punchy and clean bass, but still has that kind of signature Senn sound. It works great as an all-arounder and seems to have a signature you'd agree with/ They are made to be light and portable so they're perfect for trips. They're efficient so you don't need an amp for them to sound great. They work well at home too. Check out more info on them here.

You also pointed out the MDR-1R which I'm a big fan of. When you talk about Momentum, you also talk about MDR-1R. I also think this would work for you, but the signature is slightly more flat.

What I do with the 7506s or did rather was boost the low slightly for some of the dubstep tracks that seemed weak. Luckily it didn't ruin the rock stuff at the same time. It is a fine line between muddying the sound and getting that kick from the bass drum. So I can deal with a more flat signature because I really think the 7506 were more clear than the Senns I have. The senns do explosions and gunfire better in games though. That's really why I bought em cause I can't always use my 5.1 cranked up in the room.

How would the MDR-R1 compare to the MDR-7520 which is around the same pricing give or take? The coiled cord the 7520 come with might need to be swapped for portable use. Also is the plug rattle from the R1 fixed now or something to look out for?

I actually think I might prefer something to be a little more neutral since I'd guess my listening is more toward the rock genre. I assume the MDR-R1s will work better for orchestral tracks too? Reason I ask that is I have lots of soundtracks from video games which is primarily done by a symphony orchestra. Sometimes I do like to revisit them, but not as often as I listen to Rock.

May 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #29,260 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The DT 880 is a good closed can, but you need an amp to power them properly. I don't like them for positional accuracy, so I don't use them for gaming. For closed can with gaming, there is nothing better than the SHR940. 

The DT 880 is semi-open.  The DT 770 is the closed can of the 770-880-990 trio.

May 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #29,261 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT 880 is semi-open.  The DT 770 is the closed can of the 770-880-990 trio.

Oops. Brain fart. Thanks for catching that.

May 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #29,262 of 29,490
Quote:
What I do with the 7506s or did rather was boost the low slightly for some of the dubstep tracks that seemed weak. Luckily it didn't ruin the rock stuff at the same time. It is a fine line between muddying the sound and getting that kick from the bass drum. So I can deal with a more flat signature because I really think the 7506 were more clear than the Senns I have. The senns do explosions and gunfire better in games though. That's really why I bought em cause I can't always use my 5.1 cranked up in the room.

How would the MDR-R1 compare to the MDR-7520 which is around the same pricing give or take? The 7520 can fold up which would make them a little bit more convenient in terms of space savings, but the coiled cord they come with might need to be swapped for portable use. Also is the plug rattle from the R1 fixed now or something to look out for?

I actually think I might prefer something to be a little more neutral since I'd guess my listening is more toward the rock genre. I assume the MDR-R1s will work better for orchestral tracks too? Reason I ask that is I have lots of soundtracks from video games which is primarily done by a symphony orchestra. Sometimes I do like to revisit them, but not as often as I listen to Rock.

I know almost nothing of the 7520, but KG Jag does. Maybe he'll chime in on this one.

May 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #29,264 of 29,490
Hello everyone

I have just recently joined and I am looking to upgrade from ATH-M50's, I had a look around the forums and numerous other websites but I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My Budget is £200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to a wide variety of music; classical, rock, jazz, metal, country, blues, and some electronic music.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to them through my computer, I have a Xonar DG sound card. Will I need to upgrade my sound card as well?[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Most of my music is 320KBPS/FLAC[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
I had a look at the HD598 still unsure if they would be a good investment.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

May 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #29,265 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone

I have just recently joined and I am looking to upgrade from ATH-M50's, I had a look around the forums and numerous other websites but I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My Budget is £200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to a wide variety of music; classical, rock, jazz, metal, country, blues, and some electronic music.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to them through my computer, I have a Xonar DG sound card. Will I need to upgrade my sound card as well?[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Most of my music is 320KBPS/FLAC[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
I had a look at the HD598 still unsure if they would be a good investment.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'd skip HD598 for rock, metal, and electronic. Just bit too boring for those music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back