++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #29,221 of 29,490
Quote:
You know what, I think I'm just gonna go with the Sennheiser HD 558s but I do have one question. Amazon warehouse deals has them for $129.75 used - like new and I was wondering, is there an issue with fakes with this particular pair or should I just grab them new?

Amazon warehouse deals are just returned items (IIRC). I don't think you have to worry about fakes.

May 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #29,223 of 29,490
Quote:

It's a little difficult to determine what to tell you here. On one hand, I think the build quality of the V6 and 7506 are extremely good for the price and I wouldn't see many problems falling asleep with them. On the other hand, if you're busting an HD 280 after two years, you've gotta be pretty hard on your cans. I've had my HD 280 for almost 10 years and they're just fine (granted, I haven't touched them in about a year).

Honestly I don't even know how they broke. I just woke up and it stopped working (and no I wasn't sleeping with them). Absolutely no problems before that.

Anyway, I am leaning to buy the 7506s. I've looked more info about them and they are really used more for monitoring. Does that mean they are also good at listening to music in general? Any other more specific recommendations?

May 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #29,225 of 29,490
Quote:
Honestly I don't even know how they broke. I just woke up and it stopped working (and no I wasn't sleeping with them). Absolutely no problems before that.

Anyway, I am leaning to buy the 7506s. I've looked more info about them and they are really used more for monitoring. Does that mean they are also good at listening to music in general? Any other more specific recommendations?

Sub-$100 closed cans, my only recommendations are the CAL, 7506, V6, and (if money is a huge constraint) Monoprice 8323 and out of those, I prefer the V6. Every one of those at those prices are great for general purpose listening.

May 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #29,226 of 29,490
Quote:

Ugh, the dreaded HD 280. Basically, anything you buy is going to be an upgrade over those things in every aspect possible except maybe build quality. They are quite tank-like. Closed cans in the sub-$100 range call for the usual suspects. MDR-V6, MDR-7506, and the Creative Aurvana Live. My recommendation is the V6, but you wont go wrong with any of those.

I STILL disagree with this assessment, even after I got the JVC HA-S500s, lauded as being worth several times its price at the $70 I got it.

May 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #29,227 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh, the dreaded HD 280. Basically, anything you buy is going to be an upgrade over those things in every aspect possible except maybe build quality. They are quite tank-like. Closed cans in the sub-$100 range call for the usual suspects. MDR-V6, MDR-7506, and the Creative Aurvana Live. My recommendation is the V6, but you wont go wrong with any of those.

I STILL disagree with this assessment, even after I got the JVC HA-S500s, lauded as being worth several times its price at the $70 I got it.

Don't the JVC's have a bass heavy (as compared from neutral)  sound signature?

May 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #29,229 of 29,490
Very much so. Sound signatures have never bothered me, though, unless it is overly extreme.. The S500s are great, too, and for most they'll be even greater, but I'd rather have neutrality. I got these because I wanted to say I bought a headphone that was "fun" instead of analytical. I'm enjoying them a ton, but I enjoy the analytical sound even more maybe.

May 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #29,230 of 29,490
Quote:

IMO, it's less of a disagreement you have and more of something additional to give to the conversation. I can't recommend something I haven't heard, so I'm not recommending the S500. You have and maybe it is something they are looking for. So call that out. I have no problems with that.

May 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #29,232 of 29,490
Looking for something around the price range of he-400 and below. I want something with lush forward midrange with no sibilance and bass which is impactful and tight don't want something that goes boom boom more like dush dush. Highs not too bright because my ears can't handle bright headphones.

Also closed or open does not matter but something over the ear is a must.

May 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #29,233 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for something around the price range of he-400 and below. I want something with lush forward midrange with no sibilance and bass which is impactful and tight don't want something that goes boom boom more like dush dush. Highs not too bright because my ears can't handle bright headphones.

Also closed or open does not matter but something over the ear is a must.

Sony MDR 7520.

May 30, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #29,235 of 29,490
Hello all, first time poster here on head-fi.

[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Budget: $100-200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Use: At home for:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Gaming - FPS - So good soundstage and positional cues.[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]        Music - Mostly older rock/metal, some modern rock/metal. Examples would be : Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,      [/size]
[size=10pt]                 Black Sabbath, King Crimson, AC/DC, Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Judas Priest, Primus, The Who, etc...[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Movies - Any genres really. [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Source: Computer, Sansa Fuze (original), and Clip +/Zip.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Other: I want something with good build quality, I won't be throwing it around or mistreating it, but I can be clumsy at times.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I've been searching around but I can't come to a conclusion.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] What I've been eyeing currently are the AD700X.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My main concern is that maybe they're too bass light?[/size]
[size=10pt] I've also heard they have harsh highs.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I'm not a basshead, but I like a nice well rounded feel.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back