++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 29, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #29,191 of 29,490
That review mentions the 600 Ohm version of the DT880s. Might they have smoother treble than the 250 Ohm one? They were my primary consideration as I don't dislike the DT770s, I just want them to be airier with far less bass.

Thanks for the advice. I do love the look of Grados, and they seem perfect for me. Are they around the ear by any chance? I can't tell from the pictures. With glasses I find on the ear headphones very uncomfortable.

On ear.

May 29, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #29,192 of 29,490
May 29, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #29,193 of 29,490
JsN57Lf.jpg

Okay, so in the next 6 weeks I'm going to be saving up for another really nice pair of headphones, either the sennheiser HD598, the AKG q701 or the AKG K550, or something else. Does anyone have any suggestions? I listen to mostly shoegaze rock. Don't let the word rock mislead you though, because shoegaze is very laid back. 

I generally use a portable amplifier. I don't plan on getting a DAC and large amplifier. I just plan on using my two Go Dap GD-03s. 

May 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #29,194 of 29,490
Well I am not saying that I'm dissatisfied with the headphones I bought because they leak sound. I did a research here just to know that open back headphones sound better and I am going to use it when I'm home or alone, etc. So they serve my purpose. What i meant was that the sound leaks physically from my iPod Touch and it happens only when  I connect my HD 598! 
I've never heard of this problem before... That is really strange.

May 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #29,195 of 29,490
Are there any closed or semi-open headphones out there that don't leak much, have great tight, punchy bass with a full clear midrange and crisp, without being overly bright highs? They also need to get me engaging in my music. Also decent soundstage and imaging, comfort and circumaural. My budget is €150,-

May 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #29,196 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, newbie right here but have lurked around more than a couple of times. I wonder if I could get your recommendations to buy my next set of headphones. Recently, I've broken my ATH-M50s from throwing them around for the last few years. I travel around quite a bit (usually in a 16 passenger van), since I'm in college and I play a sport. I'm looking for something in the <$200 zone and want an upgrade from my M50s. They were good, but my ears yearn for something better. I've looked around and a few of the ones I want to purchase are the Shure SRH 840s, M-Audio Q40s, Ultrasone 780s, and the AKG K550s. I will mostly be using an Ipod touch, so I need something easy to drive.

As for my preferences, I listen to a lot of old school soul and r&b, along with some hip hop and little bit of country, rock, and dubstep. I prefer a smooth sounding pair of cans and really don't care too much for the bass. Sound stage is of some importance but as long as they don't sound crammed up on my ears, I will be fine. I'm also not too keen on really bright or cold sounding cans either.

Thanks for taking out the time to help me out!

BUMP since everybody seems to ignore a lot of these posts.

May 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #29,197 of 29,490
Quote:
BUMP since everybody seems to ignore a lot of these posts.

Getting a response to a post is a privilege and doesn't always happen for me either. I suspect most people aren't knowledgeable enough to give recommendations in the first place. Not saying you did anything wrong in any way, just saying it's something to consider 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I make posts that people don't respond to sometimes to. I just respect that I don't want to push a response from others.

May 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #29,198 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here - I only signed up to ask for your advice.
I'm buing headphones as a gift to my girlfriend, but I probably will end up using them as well.

My only requirements:
* have to be over-ear (I find on-ear headphones to be rather uncomfortable - there may be something wrong with my ears' anatomy :wink:).
* sub $100.
* have to be readily available at brick and mortar stores (have to buy before the end of the week), so please don't recommend the Sony MDR-V6, because I can't get them anywhere where I live. Online stores like Amazon are out of the question.
* solid build and inoffensive design preferred.

The usage:
* music from portable devices (iPhones and an iPad only) but also from a Pianocraft and possibly from an Xbox for games and a MacBook for movies.
* music genre range: from some alternative rock (think Deftones, Incubus) to general alternative/mainstream alternative music. I am aware that "mainstream" and "alternative" are antonyms, but I have no idea how to describe this alternative-pop music that's already too popular to be considered indie. Recently we've been lisening a lot to  Florence + The Machine, Ben Howard, Jessie Ware and Lana del Rey.
* I don't really care for bass-heavy music.

Of course I have tried to do research on my own, read dozens of threads and reviews here, buying guides as well. I'm almost decided to buy the Sennheiser HD439 (the detachable cord is a plus) or maybe the HD419. My questions:
* will a person who never had over-ear headphones (my girlfriend) notice a difference in quality between the 419 and the 439?
* is there something better I should be lookind at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

May 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #29,199 of 29,490
Does anyone have any recommendations in the ~150 USD range?

I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones for use on trains/in public in particular. As a result, good isolation (and no noise leakage) is fairly important. I'm hoping to find something that's comfortable and over the ear. I listen almost exclusively to classic rock. My listening will be through my laptop and an iPod Classic with Rockbox on it. I don't have an amp and probably won't for the forseeable future.

I currently own a Hifiman RE0 and a Grado SR-80i. I really like both of them, although the Grados can be a little bright for me sometimes.

May 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #29,200 of 29,490
Quote:
Getting a response to a post is a privilege and doesn't always happen for me either. I suspect most people aren't knowledgeable enough to give recommendations in the first place. Not saying you did anything wrong in any way, just saying it's something to consider 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I make posts that people don't respond to sometimes to. I just respect that I don't want to push a response from others.

Thanks for responding at least
bigsmile_face.gif
. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not completely ignored.

May 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #29,201 of 29,490
Quote:
That review mentions the 600 Ohm version of the DT880s. Might they have smoother treble than the 250 Ohm one? They were my primary consideration as I don't dislike the DT770s, I just want them to be airier with far less bass.

This review will help:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

May 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #29,202 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations in the ~150 USD range?

I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones for use on trains/in public in particular. As a result, good isolation (and no noise leakage) is fairly important. I'm hoping to find something that's comfortable and over the ear. I listen almost exclusively to classic rock. My listening will be through my laptop and an iPod Classic with Rockbox on it. I don't have an amp and probably won't for the forseeable future.

I currently own a Hifiman RE0 and a Grado SR-80i. I really like both of them, although the Grados can be a little bright for me sometimes.

KRK KNS 8400

May 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #29,204 of 29,490

Thanks for the advice. I do love the look of Grados, and they seem perfect for me. Are they around the ear by any chance? I can't tell from the pictures. With glasses I find on the ear headphones very uncomfortable.

They are on ear. I wear glasses, and they don't bother me. But I suspect that depends on the person and the shape of the glasses.

May 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #29,205 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here - I only signed up to ask for your advice.
I'm buing headphones as a gift to my girlfriend, but I probably will end up using them as well.

My only requirements:
* have to be over-ear (I find on-ear headphones to be rather uncomfortable - there may be something wrong with my ears' anatomy :wink:).
* sub $100.
* have to be readily available at brick and mortar stores (have to buy before the end of the week), so please don't recommend the Sony MDR-V6, because I can't get them anywhere where I live. Online stores like Amazon are out of the question.
* solid build and inoffensive design preferred.

Do you have a Guitar Center near you? I think they often carry the MDR-7506, which are very similar to the V6 (some people like one better, some the other).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back