++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #29,162 of 29,490
Quote:
Then what does?

And about the receiver: Something like that. I used it for some speakers a while back (speakers that came with it).

You can forget that part, just think about the fiio e6.

Grados?

The Grados are probably the closest (that I can come up with off the top of my head).  It's not a commonly sought sound signature.

What comes out of your speaker taps from an A/V receiver is not the same as what what comes from the headphone out.

May 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #29,163 of 29,490
I was thinking fiio e11 but im planning on getting the x3.

I had the sr80i (barely burned them in) and liked the sound but they didn't have enough bass. That of course was before I used EQ's, and I only had the flat pads.

May 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #29,165 of 29,490
I heard it makes them super bright, and all the bass goes away. Is it true?

Im really just looking for something flat, but I know that no headphone is actually flat, plus I like emphasized treble. Not so much the mids.
I really liked the ma900 but I just don't like the idea of buying it again.

I love the Grado look, and the hd598s.

May 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #29,166 of 29,490
I was thinking fiio e11 but im planning on getting the x3.

I had the sr80i (barely burned them in) and liked the sound but they didn't have enough bass. That of course was before I used EQ's, and I only had the flat pads.

The L-cush pads on the SR225i will provide a bit more bass response while also opening up the detail some on the mids and treble.

May 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #29,167 of 29,490
I currently have the DT770 Pro 80s as my first pair of cans, as a result of the unfortunate belief that I love bass. The hardware EQ on my E17 helped me understand that I do not in fact love bass at all, as I had to tame it significantly to enjoy most songs. I preferred the sound when I boosted the treble, however the sibilance killed my ears. I concluded that an open design would be more to my liking.

Thus my question is what cans do I get next if I want an open, airy treble, tame bass, high resolution and detail, and below $400. I have omitted the Q/K 701/2s from my search due to concerns about awkward mids, sibilance and discomfort. I have also eliminated Sennheiser HD 598s as I auditioned them and the treble roll-off was too much, not to mention a sudden craving for cheesecake upon seeing them in person. 

I have considered DT 880s (250) and HD 600s.

Once again, I want a very airy, neutral sound, without fatiguing highs.

I would encourage you to demo a few different headphones and be cautious about over relying on the generic criticism. Based on testimonials, I thought the Grado SR225i would be too bright for me, but they are not, whereas the DT880s and Q701s were both a little too bright. Because the treble is different on each of those, could be one would be a good fit for you and the others not. Part of it will also depend on how loud you need to listen to them to get a satisfying volume. For me the Grados are good because the stronger mids means I'm happy with them at lower volumes than some other headphones I've tried.

May 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #29,168 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I am a new audiophile and am new to this site. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones, preferably full bass cups, for under $50. I've looked at the Superlux HD668B but with shipping it was a little over my price range. Here are some I've also looked at:

Superlux HD681
Sennheiser HD202
Koss UR 29

Which of these would you recommend, or what other pair would you recommend over these?

Thanks,

Packboy5

May 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #29,169 of 29,490
I would encourage you to demo a few different headphones and be cautious about over relying on the generic criticism. Based on testimonials, I thought the Grado SR225i would be too bright for me, but they are not, whereas the DT880s and Q701s were both a little too bright. Because the treble is different on each of those, could be one would be a good fit for you and the others not. Part of it will also depend on how loud you need to listen to them to get a satisfying volume. For me the Grados are good because the stronger mids means I'm happy with them at lower volumes than some other headphones I've tried.

Can't demo anything.
I'd say the safer choices would be the hd598, dt880, ad900x, or ma900.
Looks like the dt880 is the best, and the other 3 seem to be around equal, but the ma900 might be best.

May 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #29,170 of 29,490
Can't demo anything.
I'd say the safer choices would be the hd598, dt880, ad900x, or ma900.
Looks like the dt880 is the best, and the other 3 seem to be around equal, but the ma900 might be best.

I'm confused because the OP already said that he demoed the HD598 and didn't like them. How do you know he can't demo any more???

May 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #29,172 of 29,490
Should I get noise cancelling headphones for my iPod without an amp if I travel on a plane a lot? I can't afford an amp, and I was wondering if high impedance  noise cancelling headphones would sound bad on my Nexus 4. EX: Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B or Sennheiser MM550X Travel...any other recommendations without an amp that would work fine? 

May 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #29,175 of 29,490
Lol, it looked like I was giving advice, but really I was responding to advice.
I meant 'i' can't demo anything.

Actually, you can if you have a credit card. Amazon (either Amazon itself or fulfilled by Amazon) and places like Crutchfield and B&H Photo have good return policies. You could always order two and return one (just keep the headphones and packaging mint). The $10 or so in return shipping is worthwhile demo fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back