++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #29,267 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone

I have just recently joined and I am looking to upgrade from ATH-M50's, I had a look around the forums and numerous other websites but I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My Budget is £200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to a wide variety of music; classical, rock, jazz, metal, country, blues, and some electronic music.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to them through my computer, I have a Xonar DG sound card. Will I need to upgrade my sound card as well?[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Most of my music is 320KBPS/FLAC[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
I had a look at the HD598 still unsure if they would be a good investment.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

If you are venturing into mid-fi, you are probably well advised to upgrade a $30 sound card--preferably to one with a built in amp.

Don't agree at all the HD 598 is "boring".  It's a very good all around can in its price class.  However if you like the "V" shaped EQ of the closed M50 and its recessed mids, you probably won't be a fan of the open HD 598.

May 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #29,268 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT 880 is a good closed can, but you need an amp to power them properly. I don't like them for positional accuracy, so I don't use them for gaming. For closed can with gaming, there is nothing better than the SHR940. 

How about the DT 770?

I've heard they're great all a round.

Are the 80 ohms the ones to get?
Will a Clip +/Zip be able to drive them?

If an amp is needed, which ones is recommended?

Which type of music works best with them?

Is the bass loose or tight?

I've read that the mids are recessed, how do vocals sound on them?

May 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #29,270 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The DT 880 is a good closed can, but you need an amp to power them properly. I don't like them for positional accuracy, so I don't use them for gaming. For closed can with gaming, there is nothing better than the SHR940. 

How about the DT 770?

I've heard they're great all a round.

Are the 80 ohms the ones to get?
Will a Clip +/Zip be able to drive them?

If an amp is needed, which ones is recommended?

Which type of music works best with them?

Is the bass loose or tight?

I've read that the mids are recessed, how do vocals sound on them?

They are very big and very comfortable basshead lite cans.  Their mids are notably recessed.  If you like vocals and guitars, they are probably not for you.

May 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #29,272 of 29,490
Hello. :)

I'm looking for my first good headphones. I listen to varied genres, but mostly electronic music. Some jazz and folk. I looked into Grado sr60i, Koss Pro DJ100 and Ultrasone Pro-450, but I don't really know which phones I should buy.

My budget is about $100. 

Thanks. :)

May 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #29,273 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of gaming/music headphones. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop and some dubstep. I also will be using them for gaming, which is pretty important.
I would prefer closed headphones but would still like ones with decent enough bass. I am currently using the Brainwavz HM5 and don't really like them much for the music I listen to.

My budget is $150.

Thanks.

May 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #29,274 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of gaming/music headphones. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop and some dubstep. I also will be using them for gaming, which is pretty important.
I would prefer closed headphones but would still like ones with decent enough bass. I am currently using the Brainwavz HM5 and don't really like them much for the music I listen to.

My budget is $150.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the V-Moda M-80? They have pretty good bass response. They are right at your $150 budget though. Granted the sub bass is a bit lacking but the mid bass is great. You'd really have to hear them to decide.

May 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #29,275 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Alright thanks, the 598's are about £170 over here which is about $260, although the 558's are $180. I've heard the 558's have better bass response, so would that be the better option?

558 are bit bassy. If you like more bass, 558 are safer. However, treble does lack a little bit on 558.

The HD 518 is darker and offers more bass than either of its big brothers.

May 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #29,276 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm looking for my first good headphones. I listen to varied genres, but mostly electronic music. Some jazz and folk. I looked into Grado sr60i, Koss Pro DJ100 and Ultrasone Pro-450, but I don't really know which phones I should buy.

My budget is about $100. 

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Also suggest that check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

May 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #29,277 of 29,490
Alright thanks, the 598's are about £170 over here which is about $260, although the 558's are $180. I've heard the 558's have better bass response, so would that be the better option?

There's a very simple mod you can do to make the 558s sound very similar to the 598s, and it is easily reversed if you don't like the sound change: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

So if you wanted to save some money and start putting some aside for a better sound card or dac/amp, that could be a good way to go.

May 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #29,278 of 29,490

My budget is about $100. 

In addition to what KG Jag said, are you willing to give up sub bass and are you comfortable with a more even, or slightly de-emphasized midbass response? If not, then the Grados are not a good choice for you. I like them for a lot of electronic music myself because I like the Grado house sound and their imaging. But you would NOT be getting heavy bass output if you are into that.

May 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #29,279 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Also suggest that check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

I'm not bothered by leaking sound.. others around me might be, haha. I'd mainly use them at home on my computer, without an amp. I'm planning to take them outside, chill by the river, sitting in a bus, etc. I'd use my phone.

I hope I'm not totally throwing things off the hat here.. but I like ambience. Also analytical. Bright, fast, bass.

I'll check it out. :)

Quote:
In addition to what KG Jag said, are you willing to give up sub bass and are you comfortable with a more even, or slightly de-emphasized midbass response? If not, then the Grados are not a good choice for you. I like them for a lot of electronic music myself because I like the Grado house sound and their imaging. But you would NOT be getting heavy bass output if you are into that.

I really need to compare before I can answer this.. for now I can only say that I like bass, but not when it's too boomy. 

Thanks both. :)

May 31, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #29,280 of 29,490
Hi,

I just bought AKG K-550 from thomann for 148 euro (about 190$) + free shipping (great deal IMO), but I have a light buyer's remorse case... I bought V-Moda M80 one month ago, but I'm not so happy with their soundstage (otherwise great headphones).
I listen mainly classical, but also to rock and j-rock. 
Should I cancel my order and stay with the M80s or should I give 550s a chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back