++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #29,236 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, first time poster here on head-fi.

[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Budget: $100-200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Use: At home for:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Gaming - FPS - So good soundstage and positional cues.[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]        Music - Mostly older rock/metal, some modern rock/metal. Examples would be : Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,      [/size]
[size=10pt]                 Black Sabbath, King Crimson, AC/DC, Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Judas Priest, Primus, The Who, etc...[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Movies - Any genres really. [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Source: Computer, Sansa Fuze (original), and Clip +/Zip.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Other: I want something with good build quality, I won't be throwing it around or mistreating it, but I can be clumsy at times.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I've been searching around but I can't come to a conclusion.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] What I've been eyeing currently are the AD700X.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My main concern is that maybe they're too bass light?[/size]
[size=10pt] I've also heard they have harsh highs.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I'm not a basshead, but I like a nice well rounded feel.[/size]

Then maybe the ATH-AD900X, which is $210 at Amazon or the older ATH-AD900, which is $190.

For build quality (meaning durability) look at some studio cans from Sony or KRK.  However, be aware that you will sound stage from these closed cans.

May 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #29,237 of 29,490
Quote:
Then maybe the ATH-AD900X, which is $210 at Amazon or the older ATH-AD900, which is $190.

For build quality (meaning durability) look at some studio cans from Sony or KRK.  However, be aware that you will sound stage from these closed cans.

I've heard people say that the AD900/X are just a slight step up from the AD700/X, and that the higher price is not worth it.
Can you confirm/deny this claim?

There comes the decision of trading sound for durability.

Is there any good mix?

May 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #29,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I've heard people say that the AD900/X are just a slight step up from the AD700/X, and that the higher price is not worth it.
Can you confirm/deny this claim?

There comes the decision of trading sound for durability.

Is there any good mix?

I have not yet heard the 700X.  I can only tell you that there was a wide gap between older 700 and 900.

With regard to durability, that is not a forte of open cans, especially those in your price range.  This should not be a surprise because they are "listen at home" cans because they leak sound and don't isolate well.  Most folks, especially with a little age and minimal moves, aren't going to bang them around.  The DT 880 is semi-open and durable, but it is also above your budget.

May 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #29,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. They definitely sound interesting but also sort of gimmicky with the adjustments. I wonder if that will effect the sound quality at all. Also how would they compare to the Shure SRH840s? At this point, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of those.

I thought so too but there is a few settings on it that get reviewed well.  Also check out the HD-380s, the ear cup size is bigger than the 280s and i find them more comfortable but i haven't done any long sessions listening on them.

May 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #29,240 of 29,490
Hello! I searched through the forums but hadn't seen this question asked.

I am looking for a solution primarily to use in my workplace for both listening to music (my listening is primarily rock music and voice podcasts) and for video and phone calls. As it is, I'm using my Etymotic ER-4Ps for audio and holding my phone or moving my computer closer to transmit my voice on calls, but I have gotten complaints about ambient noise through the mic. So, I'm thinking that headphones with an in-line mic will provide better sound from me (and will be comfortable wearing for long stretches while not blocking out all surrounding noise as the Etymotics do). Right now, I'm looking at the Aiaiai TMA-1 with mic ($190) or a mic-less pair teamed with the V-Moda mic cable. I haven't seen any mention of the mic quality in reviews of the TMA-1 or the V-Moda cable, unfortunately. Price range is about $200 total, and any help is appreciated.

May 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #29,241 of 29,490
Hello everyone

I have just recently joined and I am looking to upgrade from ATH-M50's, I had a look around the forums and numerous other websites but I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My Budget is £200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to a wide variety of music; classical, rock, jazz, metal, country, blues, and some electronic music.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I will be listening to them through my computer, I have a Xonar DG sound card. Will I need to upgrade my sound card as well?[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Most of my music is 320KBPS/FLAC[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
I had a look at the HD598 still unsure if they would be a good investment.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

May 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #29,242 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, first time poster here on head-fi.

[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Budget: $100-200[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Use: At home for:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Gaming - FPS - So good soundstage and positional cues.[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]        Music - Mostly older rock/metal, some modern rock/metal. Examples would be : Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,      [/size]
[size=10pt]                 Black Sabbath, King Crimson, AC/DC, Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Judas Priest, Primus, The Who, etc...[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]        Movies - Any genres really. [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Source: Computer, Sansa Fuze (original), and Clip +/Zip.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] Other: I want something with good build quality, I won't be throwing it around or mistreating it, but I can be clumsy at times.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I've been searching around but I can't come to a conclusion.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] What I've been eyeing currently are the AD700X.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] My main concern is that maybe they're too bass light?[/size]
[size=10pt] I've also heard they have harsh highs.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I'm not a basshead, but I like a nice well rounded feel.[/size]

I'll second the AD900X here. I wouldn't worry about the build quality concerns. I throw my AD700 around all the time (I can get quite angry when gaming) and they are holding up just fine.

May 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #29,243 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello! I searched through the forums but hadn't seen this question asked.

I am looking for a solution primarily to use in my workplace for both listening to music (my listening is primarily rock music and voice podcasts) and for video and phone calls. As it is, I'm using my Etymotic ER-4Ps for audio and holding my phone or moving my computer closer to transmit my voice on calls, but I have gotten complaints about ambient noise through the mic. So, I'm thinking that headphones with an in-line mic will provide better sound from me (and will be comfortable wearing for long stretches while not blocking out all surrounding noise as the Etymotics do). Right now, I'm looking at the Aiaiai TMA-1 with mic ($190) or a mic-less pair teamed with the V-Moda mic cable. I haven't seen any mention of the mic quality in reviews of the TMA-1 or the V-Moda cable, unfortunately. Price range is about $200 total, and any help is appreciated.

Any of the popular portable closed cans with in-line mics will work well for you in this case. MDR-1R or UE 6000. I'm a fan of the MDR-1R.

May 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #29,244 of 29,490
^ agreed just got one after spending a lot of time with them!

May 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #29,245 of 29,490
The 900x... Damn u roguegeek lol

May 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #29,247 of 29,490
hi guys, I'm undecided between these headphone models do not know which one to buy:
- Beyerdynamic custom one pro
- AKG k550
- AKG K242 HD
mainly listening pop music, hip-op, rap ... and use with PC / TV amplifier so without
budget: 180-250 $

May 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #29,248 of 29,490
Quote:

Any of the popular portable closed cans with in-line mics will work well for you in this case. MDR-1R or UE 6000. I'm a fan of the MDR-1R.

Thank you a bunch; the MDR-1Rs are over my budget and the UE 6000s don't pass the aesthetic test for me, but I honestly hadn't seen any other models so I will keep looking. I haven't seen much discussion on microphone quality. 

May 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #29,249 of 29,490
Hi all. I'm looking for something semi-portable to use on trips with a Galaxy S3 and possibly a portable amp. My Phone has modified sound drivers with a DSP that allows me to EQ everything. I'd also use them at home as well. I primarily listen to Metal(Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Megadeth etc), Hard Rock (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue etc), Classic rock (Zepplin, UFO etc), & some dubstep.

Anyway, I have the following. Sony MDR-7506 which sound clean, but are a bit flat. Obviously they are made to be neutral, but for music they need a little more feeling to them for my tastes. I can EQ them and make them sound just fine though so don't think that neutral is necessarily bad out of the box. The frequency range isn't as wide though so they do have limitations. The coiled cable is also pretty annoying on the go. They are also old and the padding pretty worn so the comfort isn't there, the hinges are also starting to give. I also have some Sennheiser PC360s which I use for gaming on my PC. I have used them for music and can appreciate the greater range they have vs the MDR-7506. More bass, more powerful mids perhaps. They aren't as "clean" sounding to me though. Still I do appreciate their tone. These are not portable by any means. I also have some Klipsch S4 earbuds which I am not really a fan of. They aren't uncomfortable but I do prefer over the ear headsets for long periods of listening. They also sound a little bass heavy. I appreciate the boomy sound for certain tracks but it is overdone in some classic rock. About the only Headphones I have heard and absolutely hate are Beats, but it's pretty well known on here that they are low SQ.

Basically I need/want something that is good for various rock music, portable enough to be tucked inside a backpack (folding up would possibly be a plus), decent bass but not Beats like, decent sound stage, clear sound (not muddy), doesn't leak too much, are pretty comfortable (subjective), and under the $400 US mark. I am not brand loyal. I appreciate how my Sennheiser PC360s sound, I appreciate the build quality of my Sony MDR 7506s and their clarity. I understand the specs, but I also know that impedance doesn't tell all and a lot of good headphones will have a larger frequency range than I might be able to pick up. So simply looking at specs tells me nothing as to how they sound. I can appreciate some bass at the right time but if it is overpowering it can ruin some songs that have bass but require clarity in the mids and highs.

I am not against going with "studio" headphones like the MDR-7520 or similar if they offer the right stuff. I have not personally heard them so I wouldn't be able to make a comparison for myself. I'm also not stuck on having to have the smallest set available. As I said, I will carry them in a backpack so if they can fit there (possibly fold) it's all good. 

I've been looking most closely at the following so maybe you could give me a push or suggestion as to what would meet my requirements. (budget of $400 or less)

Sennheiser Amperior (discontinued but still available online)
Sony MDR-1R (some people mention a plug rattle from these)
Sony MDR-7520 (have not been able to find a lot of info on these from the perspective of listening to music and a comparison to others like the MDR-1R for example)
Yamaha Pro 500 (Some people have complained about the comfort on these and it seems to be a love it or hate it thing on the looks of them as well as the amount of bass.)

Thanks

May 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #29,250 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank you a bunch; the MDR-1Rs are over my budget and the UE 6000s don't pass the aesthetic test for me, but I honestly hadn't seen any other models so I will keep looking. I haven't seen much discussion on microphone quality. 

That's interesting. For the last couple of months, MDR-1Rs were easily found for <$200. Amazon has it shot back up to $300. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you're going to find them for that magic $200 price and they'll be well worth it. Looks like some of the other stores in Amazon have them close to that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back