++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #29,206 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you have a Guitar Center near you? I think they often carry the MDR-7506, which are very similar to the V6 (some people like one better, some the other).

Guitar Center is the perfect place to pick those up. They normally carry the V6 as well. That was the first place I heard them.

May 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #29,207 of 29,490
May 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #29,208 of 29,490
Quote:
I would look at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros.  I've heard great things about them and you can get them for $200 from http://www.frontendaudio.com/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-p/9999-13441.htm  (that's the lowest price I could find them for but i spent a few minutes looking).  You can also increase the amount of open air that comes in.  They're really neat!

Thanks for the recommendation. They definitely sound interesting but also sort of gimmicky with the adjustments. I wonder if that will effect the sound quality at all. Also how would they compare to the Shure SRH840s? At this point, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of those.

May 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #29,209 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, newbie right here but have lurked around more than a couple of times. I wonder if I could get your recommendations to buy my next set of headphones. Recently, I've broken my ATH-M50s from throwing them around for the last few years. I travel around quite a bit (usually in a 16 passenger van), since I'm in college and I play a sport. I'm looking for something in the <$200 zone and want an upgrade from my M50s. They were good, but my ears yearn for something better. I've looked around and a few of the ones I want to purchase are the Shure SRH 840s, M-Audio Q40s, Ultrasone 780s, and the AKG K550s. I will mostly be using an Ipod touch, so I need something easy to drive.

As for my preferences, I listen to a lot of old school soul and r&b, along with some hip hop and little bit of country, rock, and dubstep. I prefer a smooth sounding pair of cans and really don't care too much for the bass. Sound stage is of some importance but as long as they don't sound crammed up on my ears, I will be fine. I'm also not too keen on really bright or cold sounding cans either.

Thanks for taking out the time to help me out!

BUMP since everybody seems to ignore a lot of these posts.

To say they get ignored sound like it's being done on purpose. It is not. Sometimes these things just fall through the cracks.

Anyway, look into the MDR-1R, SRH840, and UE 6000. All of them are efficient enough to run without an amp, but the MDR-1R and UE 6000 excel at it. Out of all of those, I think you'd be the happiest with the 1R. Check this out for more info on all of these.

May 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #29,210 of 29,490
My Sennheiser HD 280 Pro of two years recently broke and while I'm waiting to decide whether to fix it or not I might as well get some new advice on alternative headphones.

I'm looking for:

Basically a cheaper alternative to 280 Pro, AKA less than $100.
Closed-ear headphones with good isolation to block noise in the room.
Minimum to no sound leakage.
Mostly for listening to music. No specific kind of music: from Rap to Rock.
Looking for balanced sound.
Will also be used for some gaming.
Will also be used on playing some music (guitar).
Headphones will be used indoors, mostly connected to a computer.
*Needs to be very comfortable.*
I wear headphones sometimes literally all day (finals). I also sometimes use my past 280 Pros during sleep to block out noise. Sometimes falls asleep on them. <-this kind of comfortable

I've been researching for other headphones and I'm looking at Sony MDR-7506s. Do these headphones meet my demands? And again please recommend some more alternatives.

May 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #29,211 of 29,490
Thanks for the recommendations. I will look more into them and make my decision soon. I didn't mean to offend anybody; I just wanted to get some advice, and at least it worked.

May 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #29,212 of 29,490
Quote:
My Sennheiser HD 280 Pro of two years recently broke and while I'm waiting to decide whether to fix it or not I might as well get some new advice on alternative headphones.

I'm looking for:

Basically a cheaper alternative to 280 Pro, AKA less than $100.
Closed-ear headphones with good isolation to block noise in the room.
Minimum to no sound leakage.
Mostly for listening to music. No specific kind of music: from Rap to Rock.
Looking for balanced sound.
Will also be used for some gaming.
Will also be used on playing some music (guitar).
Headphones will be used indoors, mostly connected to a computer.
*Needs to be very comfortable.*
I wear headphones sometimes literally all day (finals). I also sometimes use my past 280 Pros during sleep to block out noise. Sometimes falls asleep on them. <-this kind of comfortable

I've been researching for other headphones and I'm looking at Sony MDR-7506s. Do these headphones meet my demands? And again please recommend some more alternatives.

Ugh, the dreaded HD 280. Basically, anything you buy is going to be an upgrade over those things in every aspect possible except maybe build quality. They are quite tank-like. Closed cans in the sub-$100 range call for the usual suspects. MDR-V6, MDR-7506, and the Creative Aurvana Live. My recommendation is the V6, but you wont go wrong with any of those.

May 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #29,213 of 29,490
Hi all, first post here. I've been wanting to purchase a high quality set of headphones for years now and I am finally in a situation where that will be possible. I am planning to first buy a solid pair of headphones and then eventually a desktop amp that can be plugged into a usb port on my computer. I've done a fair amount of research as to which headphones to go with and have pretty much made up my mind to go with the Grado SR325is. Budget for the cans themselves will be right around $300 and I will be able to drop about the same amount on an amp shortly thereafter. This setup will be for listening to audio files via my desktop PC. I typically listen to progressive house (such as deadmau5 and Paul Oakenfold) and an extremely wide variety of rock (from The Beatles to Metallica). As previously stated, I have done some of my own reading on this subject but would like to hear some advice specific to my situation, ideally from those who listen to the same or similar styles of music. Anyway, I want to know what you headphone veterans think! Is the Grado SR325is a good choice for this kind of music? If not, what would you recommend? Looking for amp suggestions as well. Any advice will be highly appreciated. 

May 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #29,214 of 29,490
Quote:

Ugh, the dreaded HD 280. Basically, anything you buy is going to be an upgrade over those things in every aspect possible except maybe build quality. They are quite tank-like. Closed cans in the sub-$100 range call for the usual suspects. MDR-V6, MDR-7506, and the Creative Aurvana Live. My recommendation is the V6, but you wont go wrong with any of those.

Thanks for the reply! How is the build quality for the Sony headphones? I tend to be rough on my gear and I don't want the headphones breaking while I sleep on them. And how are they on the comfort side?

May 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #29,215 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! How is the build quality for the Sony headphones? I tend to be rough on my gear and I don't want the headphones breaking while I sleep on them. And how are they on the comfort side?

It's a little difficult to determine what to tell you here. On one hand, I think the build quality of the V6 and 7506 are extremely good for the price and I wouldn't see many problems falling asleep with them. On the other hand, if you're busting an HD 280 after two years, you've gotta be pretty hard on your cans. I've had my HD 280 for almost 10 years and they're just fine (granted, I haven't touched them in about a year).

May 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #29,216 of 29,490
So i got into a fit of rage and accidentally threw my sennheiser HD449s and they sort of broke =/
But luckily my birthday's in a couple of days and i was looking to upgrade to better headphones anyway.

I'm currently eyeing the sennheiser HD 598s as they fit my budget of 200-300$ perfectly. But I was still wondering if better can be had for the price. (senn's are 250$ where I live and the AKG k701s are at ~400$) 

I listen to a wide range of music such as Metallica, Mumford & Sons, Led Zepellin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, Coldplay, Adele, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Muse, The Beatles, Eminem and i could go on really but i need a good pair of fun headphones for general use. It would also be awesome if i could use them for gaming as well :D I also plan on using them with my guitar.

I'm looking for open-backed phones only because i already have a closed back pair and some IEMs.

This would be my chain if i decided to get the HD598s:
24/96 FLAC/ MP3 320k --> Foobar 2000 with WASAPI output --> Fiio E17 Amplifier + DAC ---> HD598

Please hurry as I need to make a decision in 2 days :D I've tried looking online but I couldn't find any I particularly liked except these.
Thanks in advance guys :D Sorry if i'm kind of a noob =/

Also i forgot to mention that the DT880s are for 400$ as well =/ I live in Dubai so there isn't much choice

May 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #29,217 of 29,490
You know what, I think I'm just gonna go with the Sennheiser HD 558s but I do have one question. Amazon warehouse deals has them for $129.75 used - like new and I was wondering, is there an issue with fakes with this particular pair or should I just grab them new?

May 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #29,218 of 29,490
Quote:
So i got into a fit of rage and accidentally threw my sennheiser HD449s and they sort of broke =/
But luckily my birthday's in a couple of days and i was looking to upgrade to better headphones anyway.

I'm currently eyeing the sennheiser HD 598s as they fit my budget of 200-300$ perfectly. But I was still wondering if better can be had for the price. (senn's are 250$ where I live and the AKG k701s are at ~400$) 

I listen to a wide range of music such as Metallica, Mumford & Sons, Led Zepellin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, Coldplay, Adele, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Muse, The Beatles, Eminem and i could go on really but i need a good pair of fun headphones for general use. It would also be awesome if i could use them for gaming as well :D I also plan on using them with my guitar.

I'm looking for open-backed phones only because i already have a closed back pair and some IEMs.

24/96 FLAC/ MP3 320k --> Foobar 2000 with WASAPI output --> Fiio E17 Amplifier + DAC ---> HD598

Please hurry as I need to make a decision in 2 days :D I've tried looking online but I couldn't find any I particularly liked except these.

Also i forgot to mention that the DT880s are for 400$ as well =/ I live in Dubai so there isn't much choice

If you've like your Senn sound, I think the HD 598 is a very natural progression. There's also the HD 600 which can be found for $310 right now. Well worth that price.

May 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #29,219 of 29,490
Quote:

You ACCIDENTALLY threw them lol... I did that once to my G35 gaming headphones, and now logitech is replacing them for free hehe 
atsmile.gif

May 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #29,220 of 29,490
Quote:
JsN57Lf.jpg

Okay, so in the next 6 weeks I'm going to be saving up for another really nice pair of headphones, either the sennheiser HD598, the AKG q701 or the AKG K550, or something else. Does anyone have any suggestions? I listen to mostly shoegaze rock and extremely brutal metal. Don't let the word rock mislead you though, because shoegaze is very laid back. However, metal is not.

I generally use a portable amplifier. I don't plan on getting a DAC and large amplifier. I just plan on using my two Go Dap GD-03s. Isolation is not an objective, because I listen to headphones around my house. I also listen to music non-stop, so headphones are an important thing which means I need to find exactly the right ones for extended periods of listening. I'm not exaggerating.

The AKG K240 works pretty fine directly out of my iPod, so I assume any of these would work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back