++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #29,176 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know that xD
Any recomendations on what to get under 250? or (350 for sennheiser brands because I can get a discount on those)

Sorry, I'm not sure what to get under $250. But when it comes to NC, the bose qc15 is probably the most known specifically for the NC Though this doesn't mean it covers everything such as voices next to you- you'll be able to hear people speak from what I've heard but won't hear ambient noise. So it'd be best to do a demo before you decide if they're worth it or not. 

Be weary that when you go NC, it tends to sound rather unnatural compared to passives because of the waves generated by the NC chip cancelling the sounds outside (generates an inverse wave). So if you're going cheaper or for music, you might want to go passive.

Otherwise, the search bar and google are your best friends. 
Hope this helped you in some way. 

May 29, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #29,178 of 29,490
Quote:
You'll find when you get an amp for them they'll be driven plenty well enough. By leaking from the ipod do you mean sound physically comes from your ipod or leaks from the headphones? If it's the latter then that's completely normal for open back headphones.

Yes, the sound physically leaks from my iPod Touch!!! I know that the sound leaks from the open back headphones but it's strange that it leaks from my iPod as well. Trouble, eh?

May 29, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #29,179 of 29,490
Quote:
You'll find when you get an amp for them they'll be driven plenty well enough. By leaking from the ipod do you mean sound physically comes from your ipod or leaks from the headphones? If it's the latter then that's completely normal for open back headphones.

Yes, the sound physically leaks from my iPod Touch!!! I know that the sound leaks from the open back headphones but it's strange that it leaks from my iPod as well. Trouble, eh?

May 29, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #29,180 of 29,490
Quote:
Your post provides an excellent example of why newbies should read the buyers guides (and other pieces) linked in the opening post of this thread.  One or more of those guides discusses the difference between open (they leak sound and don't isolate well, if at all) and closed cans.  They cover which cans need or might need an amp.  They also cover other key issues.

Well I am not saying that I'm dissatisfied with the headphones I bought because they leak sound. I did a research here just to know that open back headphones sound better and I am going to use it when I'm home or alone, etc. So they serve my purpose. What i meant was that the sound leaks physically from my iPod Touch and it happens only when  I connect my HD 598! 

May 29, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #29,181 of 29,490
Quote:
Well I am not saying that I'm dissatisfied with the headphones I bought because they leak sound. I did a research here just to know that open back headphones sound better and I am going to use it when I'm home or alone, etc. So they serve my purpose. What i meant was that the sound leaks physically from my iPod Touch and it happens only when  I connect my HD 598! 

You mean sound comes out of the built-in speakers on your iPod?

May 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #29,185 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Your post provides an excellent example of why newbies should read the buyers guides (and other pieces) linked in the opening post of this thread.  One or more of those guides discusses the difference between open (they leak sound and don't isolate well, if at all) and closed cans.  They cover which cans need or might need an amp.  They also cover other key issues.

It will happen with any open can and to a (usually significant) degree with semi-open cans.

May 29, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #29,186 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Let me guess, you have a case or something on your iPod and the headphone jack isn't able to fit in snugly?

Nay, I don't have a case. It's just that this specific headphone does that. I tried connecting to my smartphone and there is no such leakage. Only with iPod. :frowning2: 

How do you connect it?  The HD 598 comes only with a 1/4" plug.

May 29, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #29,187 of 29,490
Quote:
I think that you will have to look elsewhere.  The DT 880 is bright and the HD 600 is not airy.  Read more about both (and other quality cans) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

That review mentions the 600 Ohm version of the DT880s. Might they have smoother treble than the 250 Ohm one? They were my primary consideration as I don't dislike the DT770s, I just want them to be airier with far less bass.
Quote:
I would encourage you to demo a few different headphones and be cautious about over relying on the generic criticism. Based on testimonials, I thought the Grado SR225i would be too bright for me, but they are not, whereas the DT880s and Q701s were both a little too bright. Because the treble is different on each of those, could be one would be a good fit for you and the others not. Part of it will also depend on how loud you need to listen to them to get a satisfying volume. For me the Grados are good because the stronger mids means I'm happy with them at lower volumes than some other headphones I've tried.

Thanks for the advice. I do love the look of Grados, and they seem perfect for me. Are they around the ear by any chance? I can't tell from the pictures. With glasses I find on the ear headphones very uncomfortable.

May 29, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #29,190 of 29,490
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a different set of cans for work. Currently using Audio Technica ATH M40FS. Too much midrange for me, however they isolate nicely and are very comfy. Been using ipod EQ to even out the mids, but it's not helping as much as I'd like it to. I have Beyer DT770/250's at home (I rather enjoy the recessed midrange on these). My "work" amp is a Bravo Audio V2 (because it's cheap, and because I don't want to worry about someone walking off with something expensive).

So with all that in mind:

0) Around $100 USD;
1) Needs to be closed back;
2) A "fun" headphone with emphasized bass, recessed mids, emphasized highs is fine (I have a distinct hearing loss of about 6 dB at 4 kHz, so something that emphasizes that range is good);
3) Can be driven with a Bravo Audio V2 (which drives my DT770/250's just fine);
4) Would like them to be loose fitting on a large head - around 8 hat size (this is the only thing about my M40's I really like);
5) Music type is primarily rock but I listen to almost everything;
6) Don't care about stuff like coiled/straight cords, jack type, color, etc. I prefer function over cosmetics. Please don't recommend gold or pink, though.
7) Impedance can be 32-250 ohms, a bit higher is probably ok.

It almost sounds like I want something similar to the DT770's, but cheaper. Well, yeah, maybe so lol. I don't want to use my DT770's at work, because they clamp too hard on my head. I could not wear them all day. So comfort is A Big Deal to me. If I need to spend a bit more than $100 to get cans that fit the above specs, please recommend anyway.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back