++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #29,146 of 29,490
Hello guys, I am newbie. I did a thorough research here for over a week to buy a new set of cans and I bought a Sennheiser HD 598.

I connected the HD 598 to my iPod Touch only to realise that the max volume in the iPod Touch is NOT sufficient to drive my HD 598. Also the sound leaks from the iPod touch. This never happened before with any other IEMs. This is my first ever over-the-ear open-back headphone. Is this normal?

PS: I don't own an amp/DAC yet (will buy it soon). And the headphone is brand new (opened just an hour ago).  

Thank You.

May 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #29,147 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys, I am newbie. I did a thorough research here for over a week to buy a new set of cans and I bought a Sennheiser HD 598.

I connected the HD 598 to my iPod Touch only to realise that the max volume in the iPod Touch is NOT sufficient to drive my HD 598. Also the sound leaks from the iPod touch. This never happened before with any other IEMs. This is my first ever over-the-ear open-back headphone. Is this normal?

PS: I don't own an amp/DAC yet (will buy it soon). And the headphone is brand new (opened just an hour ago).  

Thank You.

You'll find when you get an amp for them they'll be driven plenty well enough. By leaking from the ipod do you mean sound physically comes from your ipod or leaks from the headphones? If it's the latter then that's completely normal for open back headphones.

May 28, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #29,148 of 29,490
Hey guys,
   I'm looking for a new pair to eventually replace my Beats Pro at the end of its lifetime. I bought this about 4-5 months ago, so it'll have to be replaced several years from now. Don't say I wasted my money paying 400 bucks for these, because I didn't pay anywhere close to that. I got this online for about $125, which makes it seem like they're fakes, but they aren't, I assure you. So, let's begin.

I listen to a wide variety of genres from both sides of the music spectrum. They usually consist of:
Dubstep | EDM | Hip-Hop/Rap | Dance | House 
Alternative Rock | Punk | Hard Rock | Ska
OPM (mostly acoustic) | Acoustic Jazz 
Solo Guitar | Solo Piano | Orchestral Game OST

Well, I know that none can truly cater to my needs, but I place heavier emphasis on the Electronic music. I prefer a headphone that's easy to drive with an iPod Touch. Portability isn't an issue; I quite prefer over-ears over on-ears, and on-ears over in-ears. Good looks are a big plus; I often stare at my headphones from a diagonal angle and just admire it. Closed-back headphones are my preference because of noise isolation, but I don't mind wearing open-backed headphones. Budget isn't determined since I will probably make the purchase a few years from now; a budget <$800 would be advisable because I don't plan on endgame yet.

Some of the options I've been looking at are the HD650, the Q701, the AH-D600, the Momentums, the DT880, the PRO 500, and similar 'phones. I'd really like a relatively flat sound with emphasis on the lower end. The Yamahas are my most-wanted imo because I've listened to it quite a few times, and its soundstage is amazing for a closed-back headphone. Nevertheless, I'd love to hear your recommendations to help me pinpoint my headphones to buy.

May 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #29,149 of 29,490
Hey guys,
   I'm looking for a new pair to eventually replace my Beats Pro at the end of its lifetime. I bought this about 4-5 months ago, so it'll have to be replaced several years from now. Don't say I wasted my money paying 400 bucks for these, because I didn't pay anywhere close to that. I got this online for about $125, which makes it seem like they're fakes, but they aren't, I assure you. So, let's begin.

I listen to a wide variety of genres from both sides of the music spectrum. They usually consist of:

Well, I know that none can truly cater to my needs, but I place heavier emphasis on the Electronic music. I prefer a headphone that's easy to drive with an iPod Touch. 
Portability isn't an issue; I quite prefer over-ears over on-ears, and on-ears over in-ears. 
Good looks are a big plus; I often stare at my headphones from a diagonal angle and just admire it. Closed-back headphones are my preference because of noise isolation, but I don't mind wearing open-backed headphones.
Budget isn't determined since I will probably make the purchase a few years from now; a budget <$800 would be advisable because I don't plan on endgame yet.

Some of the options I've been looking at are the HD650, the Q701, the AH-D600, the Momentums, the DT880, the PRO 500, and similar 'phones. I'd really like a relatively flat sound with emphasis on the lower end. The Yamahas are my most-wanted imo because I've listened to it quite a few times, and its soundstage is amazing for a closed-back headphone. Nevertheless, I'd love to hear your recommendations to help me pinpoint my headphones to buy.

Some of those headphones you are considering are not easy to drive with an iPod Touch. A small portable amp such as a JDS E5 or C&C BH would give you more options in headphone choices, particularly since you like extra bass emphasis and bass heavy music.

May 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #29,150 of 29,490
Hello! I searched through the forums but hadn't seen this question asked.

I am looking for a solution primarily to use in my workplace for both listening to music (my listening is primarily rock music and voice podcasts) and for video and phone calls. As it is, I'm using my Etymotic ER-4Ps for audio and holding my phone or moving my computer closer to transmit my voice on calls, but I have gotten complaints about ambient noise through the mic. So, I'm thinking that headphones with an in-line mic will provide better sound from me (and will be comfortable wearing for long stretches while not blocking out all surrounding noise as the Etymotics do). Right now, I'm looking at the Aiaiai TMA-1 with mic ($190) or a mic-less pair teamed with the V-Moda mic cable. I haven't seen any mention of the mic quality in reviews of the TMA-1 or the V-Moda cable , unfortunately. Price range is about $200 total, and any help is appreciated.

May 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #29,151 of 29,490
First off, I don't quite understand the 10 year stipulation. That seems unrealistic in today's electronics world where 3 years is considered product life for many electronics. Anyway, all the standards come to mind, HD600, AKG x70x variations, Beyer DT880...

That 3 year time frame is marketing convincing you to keep buying stuff.

Before things were made of plastic, they would last 30+ years. Plastic becomes brittle in the atmosphere and sunlight and breaks down over 10 years or so, requiring that you replace the item.

There is no reason to buy a new computer if you don't run COD at 120fps. QUAD ESL's worked in 1957 as well as today, Advent loudspeakers from 1977 are prized items for their clean sound, and a pencil from 1930 works fine today if you sharpen it.
AKG and Beyer cans from 1977-82 sound fine if you replace the pads. The Beyer DT880 you mention sounded good in the early 1980's. They would sound good today.

My Mirage M-3 are still out there and still sound great because the caps were high quality and will last. Capacitors are the only thing you need replace on an old speaker.

...and of course the best sounding headphone/amp combination on the planet is 25 years old and still #1 with a wide margin to spare. The Sennheiser Orpheus HE-90.

May 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #29,152 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank You.

Your post provides an excellent example of why newbies should read the buyers guides (and other pieces) linked in the opening post of this thread.  One or more of those guides discusses the difference between open (they leak sound and don't isolate well, if at all) and closed cans.  They cover which cans need or might need an amp.  They also cover other key issues.

May 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #29,153 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Well, I know that none can truly cater to my needs, but I place heavier emphasis on the Electronic music. I prefer a headphone that's easy to drive with an iPod Touch. Portability isn't an issue; I quite prefer over-ears over on-ears, and on-ears over in-ears. Good looks are a big plus; I often stare at my headphones from a diagonal angle and just admire it. Closed-back headphones are my preference because of noise isolation, but I don't mind wearing open-backed headphones. Budget isn't determined since I will probably make the purchase a few years from now; a budget <$800 would be advisable because I don't plan on endgame yet.

You need to wait until you're ready.  Product and prices will most certainly be different in 3 years.  Telling you more that this is mostly a waste of your time and ours.

May 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #29,154 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm in a Mid-fi crissis.

I'm deciding between:
Ma900(bought before but had to return)
DT880
HD598
SR225i

I have narrowed it down so I don't really want any other recommendations.

I like flat bass, slightly emph lower mids, emphasized treble.

I listen to a bunch of stuff, but mainly rock and R&B.

I have a 600 watt amp, and no DAC, just ipod.

Thanks!

May 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #29,155 of 29,490
I currently have the DT770 Pro 80s as my first pair of cans, as a result of the unfortunate belief that I love bass. The hardware EQ on my E17 helped me understand that I do not in fact love bass at all, as I had to tame it significantly to enjoy most songs. I preferred the sound when I boosted the treble, however the sibilance killed my ears. I concluded that an open design would be more to my liking.

Thus my question is what cans do I get next if I want an open, airy treble, tame bass, high resolution and detail, and below $400. I have omitted the Q/K 701/2s from my search due to concerns about awkward mids, sibilance and discomfort. I have also eliminated Sennheiser HD 598s as I auditioned them and the treble roll-off was too much, not to mention a sudden craving for cheesecake upon seeing them in person. 

I have considered DT 880s (250) and HD 600s.

Once again, I want a very airy, neutral sound, without fatiguing highs.

May 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #29,157 of 29,490
ops, sorry I saw later that there was this thread..however..

hi guys, I'm looking for mid-high end headphones I would use to listen to music to pc, (I am also in the process of buying a decent sound card) / movie on TV ... (rarely for ipod / cell).
Looking on the internet those that most caught my attention are these 3/4:

- Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
- AKG K-550
- AKG K-551
- AKG K-242 HD

I wanted some opinions in your opinion what is the "best" (I know that is a subjective thing), but just an opinion ... I would use the many hours then definitely a feature
I find important is comfort, such as budget no later than about € 160-200 .. listen mainly Pop, Hip-pop, rap, would also be the first purchase of a headset "serious" ..
Headset open or closed ... even here ... I do not know .. the only other is the HD 242 are all closed, but I did not need to be force closed.

May 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #29,159 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have the DT770 Pro 80s as my first pair of cans, as a result of the unfortunate belief that I love bass. The hardware EQ on my E17 helped me understand that I do not in fact love bass at all, as I had to tame it significantly to enjoy most songs. I preferred the sound when I boosted the treble, however the sibilance killed my ears. I concluded that an open design would be more to my liking.

Thus my question is what cans do I get next if I want an open, airy treble, tame bass, high resolution and detail, and below $400. I have omitted the Q/K 701/2s from my search due to concerns about awkward mids, sibilance and discomfort. I have also eliminated Sennheiser HD 598s as I auditioned them and the treble roll-off was too much, not to mention a sudden craving for cheesecake upon seeing them in person. 

I have considered DT 880s (250) and HD 600s.

Once again, I want a very airy, neutral sound, without fatiguing highs.

I think that you will have to look elsewhere.  The DT 880 is bright and the HD 600 is not airy.  Read more about both (and other quality cans) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

May 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #29,160 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm in a Mid-fi crissis.

I'm deciding between:
Ma900(bought before but had to return)
DT880
HD598
SR225i

I have narrowed it down so I don't really want any other recommendations.

I like flat bass, slightly emph lower mids, emphasized treble.

I listen to a bunch of stuff, but mainly rock and R&B.

I have a 600 watt amp, and no DAC, just ipod.

Thanks!

Is you 600 watt amp an A/V receiver?  If so, it may have a weak or crappy headphone out.

The good news is that from the cans on your list, only certain versions of the DT 880 may be troubled by this (unless it is of low quality and not just low power).

BTW--I don't think any of these cans, all of which are good in their own right, exactly matches the sound signature you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back