++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #29,086 of 29,490
What closed hp would be considered an upgrade from dt770?

Criteria:
- Closed and minimal leak
- great bass & subbass but still acceptably musical for multiple genres and music
- comfort
- decent soundstage

Love the dt770 but for genres such as hiphop they lack that extra bass. Can live with it but if a better alternative exists then want to try. I understand the Denons would help but they leak more sound so not ideal.

Concern would be to not want to replace the dt770 for something with so much bass emphasis that leads to early fatigue or something uncomfortable.

Help!!

May 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #29,087 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Got 3 questions I need help on:

1) Is a 2nd hand HD598 at $160 a good deal assuming that the local price is around $280?

2) Has anyone ship headphones from a Japan company internationally? The price of the AD900X is really tempting at around $220 everything included as they claim. It is safe and will there be any more duty, taxes, other charges unseen?

3) How would the hd600, ad900x, and hd598 compare to each other and the he-400 since I have them and do no want another headphone that is too similiar.

Thanks a lot!

I've kept the AD900X in favor to the HE400 and HD598 if that helps at all.

Yes--reasonable ears will differ.

I like the HD 600 the best from this group.  However it usually costs quite a bit more than the AD 900X and HD 598.

May 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #29,088 of 29,490
Quote:
New here, new to higher end audio in general. Apologies in advance for any rules and conventions I might break...

Looking for advice choosing between two options that would fit my budget.
1. Pricier cans (e.g., LCD2) with cheaper DAC and amp (e.g., Schitt Modi and Magni)
2. Less expensive cans (e.g., HE400) and more expensive DAC and amp (brand/model tbd)

I guess an option in between too, but not familiar with what items would fit the bill.

Potentially useful info:
- source always computer, unfortunately a lot of compressed stuff (320 Kbps mp3 and AAC); CDs; looking forward to FLAC-ing moving forward
- would probably be locked into what I buy for 1-2 years before adding anything new
- listen to many genres

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion to share.

The best choice (assuming that your to use this equipment for a while) is to balance each piece.  The Schiit stack is not optimal to drive a $1,000 can. 

I'd get the HE 500 (saving you $300 over the LCD 2), Schiit Asgard 2 ($150 more) and spend what you have left to get a decent DAC.

May 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #29,090 of 29,490
 Quote:
If it helps, I like them (but like the HD 558 & 598 more) and I do not like bass heavy cans.

yes it helps :) thank you!
 probably going to buy them tomorrow, I decided that they might give me what I like more than grado sr 125i
I would go for HD 558 but the budget is currently the problem and personally cant wait to finally listen to my music on some good set of headphones so will settle down with HD 518 for some time :)

May 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #29,091 of 29,490
I'm really curious to know what people here think of the sr80i vs sr60i. Is there really no difference if you use L pads for them?

I want to have another pair of headphones so I can compare the sound to my AKG K240 headphones. I hear the sound is pretty bright, and I listen to mostly rock music which these are supposed to be good for. I can't tell if I should get the sr80i or the sr60i.

I've done some research and I can't seem to find any concise statements saying one is better than the other. Some say there's no difference and some say the bass on one is better than the other. If I could know that the sr60i is the same as the sr80i with the L pad I would love to know so I can save 20 bucks and get the sr60 or get the sr80i.

Google reveals lots of discussion comparing those two headphones: https://www.google.com/search?q=difference+between+sr60i+and+sr80i

May 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #29,092 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.
I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

Some examples are:
CMA - Without You
Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)
Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)
Kill Paris- I Do Love You
Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)
Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]
Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

[size=medium] Shure SRH840[/size]

[size=small] BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones

[/size]

[size=small]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms[/size]

[size=small] V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

Ultrasone HFI-680

Ultrasone HFI-780

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

[/size]

May 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #29,093 of 29,490
Hi guys, i am brand new to this forum. I am looking for a bit of advice when it comes to buying some over ear headphones.

I live in Toronto, Canada and i primarily use my headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers) for walks or rollerblading. I am looking to replace them with a new pair of over ear cans. My price range is 200-400ish. I don't care about flashy, name brand or anything like that. I listen to all sorts of music from rock to rap, classical, folk etc. I know basically nothing about audio and would just love a recommendation or two. I've been to the best buys and future shops here in the city and tried on there name brand cans, didnt really like any of the ones i tried on other then Sennheiser Momentum's.

My main criteria: Good sound quality, not too flimsy (easily breakable), cable is not super long. Thats about it. Thanks so much in advance.

May 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #29,094 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.
I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

Some examples are:
CMA - Without You
Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)
Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)
Kill Paris- I Do Love You
Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)
Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]
Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

[size=medium] Shure SRH840[/size]

[size=small] BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones

[/size]

[size=small]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms[/size]

[size=small] V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

Ultrasone HFI-680

Ultrasone HFI-780

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

[/size]

The Fostex is semi-open, so take it off your list.

May 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #29,096 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, i am brand new to this forum. I am looking for a bit of advice when it comes to buying some over ear headphones.

I live in Toronto, Canada and i primarily use my headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers) for walks or rollerblading. I am looking to replace them with a new pair of over ear cans. My price range is 200-400ish. I don't care about flashy, name brand or anything like that. I listen to all sorts of music from rock to rap, classical, folk etc. I know basically nothing about audio and would just love a recommendation or two. I've been to the best buys and future shops here in the city and tried on there name brand cans, didnt really like any of the ones i tried on other then Sennheiser Momentum's.

My main criteria: Good sound quality, not too flimsy (easily breakable), cable is not super long. Thats about it. Thanks so much in advance.

Sony MDR 7520 (which a replaceable cable) plus a very affordable 1/8" male to male 3 or 4 foot cable from a place like Monoprice for use on the go.

May 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #29,097 of 29,490
I just got myself a brand new pair of Dt 990's and bought a Asus Xonar Phoebus to go with that. My current Auzentech Bravura died on me so i was in the market for a new soundcard anyway. I was thinking of getting a Fiio E9 to go with that but after some more reading i thought i read that the amp in the phoebus was just about the same as the one in the Fiio E9. Now i am on the fence about getting one cause im not sure if getting one will actually do anything good for my audio. Would getting a E9 improve anything or would i have to get an E7 on top of that to actually notice any difference?

May 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #29,098 of 29,490
Quote:
I just got myself a brand new pair of Dt 990's and bought a Asus Xonar Phoebus to go with that. My current Auzentech Bravura died on me so i was in the market for a new soundcard anyway. I was thinking of getting a Fiio E9 to go with that but after some more reading i thought i read that the amp in the phoebus was just about the same as the one in the Fiio E9. Now i am on the fence about getting one cause im not sure if getting one will actually do anything good for my audio. Would getting a E9 improve anything or would i have to get an E7 on top of that to actually notice any difference?

That's OT--this thread is for full sized headphone recommendations only.  Other sections of the forum address amps, dacs and computer audio.

May 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #29,100 of 29,490
Interesting. Thanks for the response.  Do you have an opinion on the HD25-1 II Rugged Closed Headphones? They have a pair down the street from me, and i like the idea they were built with durability in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back