++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #29,101 of 29,490
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the response.  Do you have an opinion on the HD25-1 II Rugged Closed Headphones? They have a pair down the street from me, and i like the idea they were built with durability in mind.

They are excellent on ear portable cans.  Not as good or as versatile as Sony, but also not near its price.

May 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #29,102 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
See the article I linked in my last post.  All four are included in this excellent piece.

As I said in an earlier post, I have not yet paired my HE 500 with my O2.  If I get a chance to do so, I'll let you know what I hear.

Okay thanks, I look forward to hearing what you think. The only problem is that I'm in the UK where instead of charging what they cost, they swap the dollar sign for a pound one so I'll have to look at shipping and import tax.

Just did a listening test.  The O2 does a quality job powering the HE 500. 

It won't properly push the HE 6 though.  While it will produce enough volume, much of the bass goes missing.

May 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #29,103 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
See the article I linked in my last post.  All four are included in this excellent piece.

As I said in an earlier post, I have not yet paired my HE 500 with my O2.  If I get a chance to do so, I'll let you know what I hear.

Okay thanks, I look forward to hearing what you think. The only problem is that I'm in the UK where instead of charging what they cost, they swap the dollar sign for a pound one so I'll have to look at shipping and import tax.

Just did a listening test.  The O2 does a quality job powering the HE 500. 

It won't properly push the HE 6 though.  While it will produce enough volume, much of the bass goes missing.

O2 and HE-500 sounded fine to me too. It really revealed that 9 kHz peak of the HE-500 though. Perhaps something like a Schiit Lyr would be a better match.

May 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #29,104 of 29,490
Looking for some headphone suggestions. What I want (and there may be no headphone that does this) is the Bass of the Sennheiser HD650/600 with the midrange and treble of the Grado 225/325. Hopefully not something too expensive, so far I have been looking at the HD-598, supposed to have more forward mids and highs than your typical Senn.

May 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #29,105 of 29,490
Own a pair of He-400's, and recently purchased a Lyr, and Telefunken tubes. This set up is perfect for live recordings, which is about 90 percent of my listening. I really like the detail, pacing and the presence of these headphones. But for studio recordings, it's too bright sometimes. The drums seem a little sharp, hot treble. Maybe the Lyr needs more burn-in, it doesn't even have 100 hours yet. And I'm not mechanically inclined, so modding the 400's isn't likely, and not necessary since they sound great with a vast majority of my listening. Any recommendations to compliment the He-400's? I was thinking of HD650, or maybe saving up for an even higher-end pair. Thanks for any feedback.

May 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #29,106 of 29,490
first off I'm a bit of a sennheiser fanboy, 2nd I just noticed the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are currently $99 on Amazon. Are they better than the Sennheiser HD 448s? Only asking that cause those are the best headphones I've ever used and they broke quite sometime ago :frowning2: 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

edit: actually, reading up on some stuff from older threads, forget I asked :\

May 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #29,107 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm looking for some help. I'm looking for a pair of over the ear headphones and in ear headphones. I'm looking to spend around $100-$150 for the in ear and probably about $200-$300 for the over the ear. I listen to a lot of dubstep and hip hop with some rock and post-hardcore thrown in. I would love something with clean hard hitting bass if possible. Now i get a discount on headphones where i work, it varies from vendor to vendor and headphones (example I basically get 50% off all beats and 20%-40% on others) So i wouldn't mind if you recommended some stuff out of my price range cause my discount could bring it in.

May 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #29,108 of 29,490
Quote:
Own a pair of He-400's, and recently purchased a Lyr, and Telefunken tubes. This set up is perfect for live recordings, which is about 90 percent of my listening. I really like the detail, pacing and the presence of these headphones. But for studio recordings, it's too bright sometimes. The drums seem a little sharp, hot treble. Maybe the Lyr needs more burn-in, it doesn't even have 100 hours yet. And I'm not mechanically inclined, so modding the 400's isn't likely, and not necessary since they sound great with a vast majority of my listening. Any recommendations to compliment the He-400's? I was thinking of HD650, or maybe saving up for an even higher-end pair. Thanks for any feedback.

Interested in what someone has to say about this as well ..... 
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #29,110 of 29,490
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse.  I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you.  I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say.  I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.

Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here).  I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself. 
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #29,111 of 29,490
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse.  I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you.  I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say.  I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.

Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here).  I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself.  :D

Since he likes all kinds of rock, I'd still suggest the SR60i, even though they are open. One of the most popular choices for rock.

May 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #29,113 of 29,490
I was thinking of Grados too, but the things I always read about fatiguing highs kind of put me off.  He listens to music for long periods of time (basically goes through several albums).

I worried about the same thing before I bought Grados. I think the highs probably are fatiguing to 20 year olds who want to listen to headphones as loud as possible. But for those of us a little older who listen at moderate volumes, the highs are fine :wink:

May 27, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #29,114 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some headphone suggestions. What I want (and there may be no headphone that does this) is the Bass of the Sennheiser HD650/600 with the midrange and treble of the Grado 225/325. Hopefully not something too expensive, so far I have been looking at the HD-598, supposed to have more forward mids and highs than your typical Senn.

Sorry--but that does make a great deal of sense.  The bass of the HD 600 and that of the HD 650 is quite different.  The treble of the 325 is also significantly different from that of the 225.

May 27, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #29,115 of 29,490
Quote:

Your instinct of letting the Lyr and the new tubes burn in is a good one.  Beyond that it would seem that tube rolling with the Lyr might be your cheapest, easiest and most effective option.  There is a thread or two on this forum about that.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back