++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #28,636 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, currently I'm using the basic apple headphones and I figured it was time for an upgrade. Haha, I don't know much about headphones, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking into getting something relatively cheap (Preferably about $50). I'll be using these for casual listening, not mixing. Most of the time I'll probably be running them off of my iPod classic. I have a couple long car rides coming up and like to study in the library fairly often, so I was leaning a little more towards closed-backed headphones when looking around. I listen to a wide variety of music, but heavy metal and pop-punk would probably be my two most listened to genres. 

After looking around a bit I was considering getting one of these, but if you guys have any suggestions I'm more than open to hearing them. (Also, I tried looking around, but I couldn't really find the difference between the ATH M40fs and M30?)
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40FS-Professional-Precision-Headphones/dp/B0002D03ZW

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

Thanks in advance for the help :)

-David

For only $50 and unamped, you'll get more for your money with an IEM or portable can.

However, if you still want full sized cans with that budget--give Samson cans a look/listen.

May 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #28,639 of 29,490
Hmm, got me seriously considering these now. What versions are available? I might buy an amp if I do choose to buy them (Currently run my sound through a Xonar DG sound card). I really like the look of the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc.

May 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #28,640 of 29,490
I know close to nothing about headphones, I came on here to learn a little and primarily ask for advice.  I'm willing to pay up to 200$ for some over-ears.  I listen to a lot of chillhop and triphop, some indie stuff and a little rock.  I also play a ton of videogames, often doing both at the same time.  I've never owned anything besides stuff less than 30$, and recently figured I'd get a nice pair because my friend let me borrow his for a day, and I could hear the difference.  Also a warranty is huge plus!  Thanks guys!

May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #28,641 of 29,490
I understand that some of the Beyerdynamic headphones are amongst the most comfortable around but are the DT990s suited to trance, dance, dubstep, pop etc.

They are perfect for those genres.

May 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #28,642 of 29,490
Quote:
They are perfect for those genres.

Only thing that concerns me are some of the points people made on some Amazon reviews. I generally take the reviews with a pinch of salt but some of the specifics worry me a bit, such as: "Only reason I give it a 4, is that they are not very comfortable for people with glasses due to the close fit head design with no gap between your ear and the headband" and "the wires into the headphones have no supporting mechanism so over time the long and heavy cable pulls the small wires away from the headphones - this happened 3 TIMES in 4 years with 3 pairs i owned from new"

May 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #28,644 of 29,490
May 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #28,645 of 29,490
Quote:
Only thing that concerns me are some of the points people made on some Amazon reviews. I generally take the reviews with a pinch of salt but some of the specifics worry me a bit, such as: "Only reason I give it a 4, is that they are not very comfortable for people with glasses due to the close fit head design with no gap between your ear and the headband" and "the wires into the headphones have no supporting mechanism so over time the long and heavy cable pulls the small wires away from the headphones - this happened 3 TIMES in 4 years with 3 pairs i owned from new"

I own a pair of DT770s (very similar to the DT990s in terms of construction) and I can say that they are very comfortable even with my glasses on.  I love them, even though I prefer my Grados now.

May 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #28,646 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: $200-$250

Use: Gaming and movies with dolby headphone 

Gear: Schiit magni, astro mixamp, ps3

Desired Sound: I have tried out the DT990 and DT880 headpone. I do prefer The DT990 for its big soundstage and very nice home theatre like bass. But both these cans are far to bright for me especially the 990's. Im looking for something with pretty much the same traits as the DT990 but with a much smoother treble. Can't handle those highs on the 990 otherwise they'd be perfect. 

Keep the budget in mind plz. 

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Quote:

huh the Q701 has bass like the DT990? I think I read otherwise somewhere. Care to clarify this anyone?

May 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #28,647 of 29,490
Quote:

I understand that some of the Beyerdynamic headphones are amongst the most comfortable around but are the DT990s suited to trance, dance, dubstep, pop etc.

Just to make it clear once and for all, in case people in future ask. Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 are both suited for ANY, I repeat, ANY genres of music out there, as well as movies, games, or anything else that produces sound.  They're both well within the margins of what can be considered Hi-Fi, or put simply, highly realistic sound. Despite people saying DT990 have more bass and treble, take that "more" with a grain of salt. The differences between them are MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than you might think by just reading the comments or peoples reviews on them.

This is what you might think the differences while listening are:

But this graph is closer to what you actually hear, or the scale of the difference between them, we are talking about really small differences.

May 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #28,648 of 29,490
Quote:
Just to make it clear once and for all, in case people in future ask. Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 are both suited for ANY, I repeat, ANY genres of music out there, as well as movies, games, or anything else that produces sound.

Word. The DT 880 is one of my favorite mid-fi headphones.

Just don't get the DT 770. That headphone is awful!

May 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #28,649 of 29,490
Quote:

Just to make it clear once and for all, in case people in future ask. Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 are both suited for ANY, I repeat, ANY genres of music out there, as well as movies, games, or anything else that produces sound.  They're both well within the margins of what can be considered Hi-Fi, or put simply, highly realistic sound. Despite people saying DT990 have more bass and treble, take that "more" with a grain of salt. The differences between them are MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than you might think by just reading the comments or peoples reviews on them.

This is what you might think the differences while listening are:

But this graph is closer to what you actually hear, or the scale of the difference between them, we are talking about really small differences.

Human ear can't detect a difference of 3 db. This means if you were listening to some music with your eyes closed, and someone turned the volume up or down 3 db without you knowing, you wouldn't notice. Even if you do it yourself, its very hard  to detect the difference in volume. And that's when increasing or reducing the volume of all the sounds. Now imagine reducing just a certain very narrow band of frequencies by 1 or 2 decibels...are you going to notice that? Yes, after 5 hours of A-B testing, and you still won't be absolutely sure its not placebo.  I'm not saying that DT880 aren't different, it's just that their differences in sound signature mainly are over exaggerated. You'll hear people saying "DT880's are neutral, but DT990 have recessed mids" and similar nonsense. Ignore that. The most difference you'll hear between them is soundstage, which is bigger in the DT990, which makes the sound more spacious and more organic, or "bigger",  "fuller", like you're listening to a larger space, while DT880's are more closed in. Again, small difference.  As far as their sound signatures go, and therefore the genres their suited for, they're in the same bucket.

Same goes for AKG Q701, K701/2, HD600/650's, etc.  All of these headphones will work any genre of music, especially for people who don't have experience with great headphones and are new to the hobby.  If I gave my K701's to someone who's never heard good headphones, and put some hip hop or electronic music trough them, they'd be blown away by their performance, yet, you'll hear people say they're no good with those genres. 

May 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #28,650 of 29,490
Quote:
so pc360 or hd598(with antlion modmic or other is there are better ones) ? mostly for gaming and audio books.

The PC360 is an HD598 with a mic. Get the combination that is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back