++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #28,651 of 29,490
Quote:
Only thing that concerns me are some of the points people made on some Amazon reviews. I generally take the reviews with a pinch of salt but some of the specifics worry me a bit, such as: "Only reason I give it a 4, is that they are not very comfortable for people with glasses due to the close fit head design with no gap between your ear and the headband" and "the wires into the headphones have no supporting mechanism so over time the long and heavy cable pulls the small wires away from the headphones - this happened 3 TIMES in 4 years with 3 pairs i owned from new"

Looks like comfort issues which are pretty personal. Only you will know how they perform in that aspect.

May 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #28,652 of 29,490
Quote:

huh the Q701 has bass like the DT990? I think I read otherwise somewhere. Care to clarify this anyone?

The Q701 is a neutral can that excel with both gaming and movies and the treble is, to my ears, far more smoother than the DT990. It doesn't have the bass extension the DT990 has, but I'm also not a fan of the DT990 for gaming or movies because the bass interferes with the clarity and detail. It's just too colored of a can for me and I prefer the DT880 over it for almost every use. The Q701 is also very attractively priced right now and seems to get more attractive as time goes on.

May 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #28,653 of 29,490
Quote:
Just to make it clear once and for all, in case people in future ask. Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 are both suited for ANY, I repeat, ANY genres of music out there, as well as movies, games, or anything else that produces sound.

I respect your view, but I'll also politely disagree. That may be the case for you and that's perfectly fine. That's just not the case with me. The graphs are also quite useless because they don't talk about how our ears and brain interpret the sound which is going to be different for everyone. Just for clarification, anything I ever express here is simply an opinion and should never be taken objectively just as it is with your post.

But whatever.  
wink.gif

May 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #28,654 of 29,490
Quote:

huh the Q701 has bass like the DT990? I think I read otherwise somewhere. Care to clarify this anyone?

I have the q701 and I can tell you that it has very little bass. It's an amazing headphone for games, you can easily pinpoint where the enemies footsteps are coming from. I played CSS competitively and it helped my gameplay by alot.

May 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #28,655 of 29,490
Quote:
Human ear can't detect a difference of 3 db.

Since when? I've seen people who say they can't hear a 1 db difference (and I certainly can), but 3 db? 3 db is absolutely huge. If you've ever dabbled in music production, you will start having to use 1 db, sometimes less then that boosts or cuts to sounds to make sure they work together well. A 3 db cut is insane. In many types of music, that's enough to make those frequencies disappear. A 3db boost would sound so unnatural to an instrument if you threw one in, its not even close to undetectable.

I guess I can't disagree with an opinion, but that goes against everything physics has ever taught me. Remember that a 10 db boost is a doubling of the energy in the air. 3 db is huge in that regard, too.

May 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #28,658 of 29,490
This isn't exactly on-topic, but it's tangentially related and in my opinion not worth making an entire thread about. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

A few days ago I received some new SRH440s, but on a lot of quieter, gentler sounds (don't know how else to describe it) I get a lot of crackling and fuzziness. For example, this whole track is full of it (in FLAC as well, it's not a youtube quality thing).

Is this a sign that it needs more power, or a problem with the headphones? I'm using a fairly cheap USB DAC, "Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Go! Pro", because my onboard sound is broken. It never had this problem on my HD448s, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if these just needed more power. I've also, however, experienced it on another computer's onboard sound, and on an old Denon stereo receiver. They all do the same thing. I've also heard that the SRH440s don't usually need to be amped.

May 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #28,659 of 29,490
Quote:
Since when? I've seen people who say they can't hear a 1 db difference (and I certainly can), but 3 db? 3 db is absolutely huge. If you've ever dabbled in music production, you will start having to use 1 db, sometimes less then that boosts or cuts to sounds to make sure they work together well. A 3 db cut is insane. In many types of music, that's enough to make those frequencies disappear. A 3db boost would sound so unnatural to an instrument if you threw one in, its not even close to undetectable.

I guess I can't disagree with an opinion, but that goes against everything physics has ever taught me. Remember that a 10 db boost is a doubling of the energy in the air. 3 db is huge in that regard, too.

Actually*, a 3 dB boost would almost be a doubling of the power (99.5%); a 10 dB boost increases the power 10x. So you're very right in the regard that these changes are detectable by any attentive ear. Even a 1 dB boost increases the power by 25.9%, definitely an audible change.

*Just trying to emphasize your point with some numbers while adding some more mathematical accuracy - not trying to be pedantic!

May 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #28,660 of 29,490
Quote:
This isn't exactly on-topic, but it's tangentially related and in my opinion not worth making an entire thread about. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

A few days ago I received some new SRH440s, but on a lot of quieter, gentler sounds (don't know how else to describe it) I get a lot of crackling and fuzziness. For example, this whole track is full of it (in FLAC as well, it's not a youtube quality thing).

Is this a sign that it needs more power, or a problem with the headphones? I'm using a fairly cheap USB DAC, "Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Go! Pro", because my onboard sound is broken. It never had this problem on my HD448s, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if these just needed more power. I've also, however, experienced it on another computer's onboard sound, and on an old Denon stereo receiver. They all do the same thing. I've also heard that the SRH440s don't usually need to be amped.

I really feel their should be a "ask all amp/dac questions here" thread. I barely know anything about those 2 things, and its so hard to find information on them...

Quote:

Actually*, a 3 dB boost would almost be a doubling of the power (99.5%); a 10 dB boost increases the power 10x. So you're very right in the regard that these changes are detectable by any attentive ear. Even a 1 dB boost increases the power by 25.9%, definitely an audible change.

*Just trying to emphasize your point with some numbers while adding some more mathematical accuracy - not trying to be pedantic!

Thanks, I was confusing what we interpret and what the actual numbers are. Most people's ears hear 10 db as a doubling of volume, right?

May 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #28,661 of 29,490
Quote:

I really feel their should be a "ask all amp/dac questions here" thread. I barely know anything about those 2 things, and its so hard to find information on them...

Thanks, I was confusing what we interpret and what the actual numbers are. Most people's ears hear 10 db as a doubling of volume, right?

Yeah, volume is psychoacoustically doubled with an increase of 10dB.

May 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #28,662 of 29,490
So, would you guys consider the JVC HA-S500s better then the HD280 Pros? The 280s are my current pair, and I'm getting the HA-S500s. I'm not using the S500s for mixing or mastering, but for music entertainment alone.

May 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #28,664 of 29,490
Quote:
Would it be better to just save up my money and invest in something like the ATH M50, or something else around $75-100 for casual listening?

I don't know why everyone recommends the M50s so much. They sound so weak...

It'd be better to save up just a little to get a good pair. The CAL!s are highly recommended around these parts. There's also the MDR-V6s if you are wanting a neutral pair of headphones...

Edit: There is also the JVC HA-S500s, which are on ear (not around the ear) and I just ordered those. Highly recommended by many.

May 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #28,665 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't know why everyone recommends the M50s so much. They sound so weak...

I think they sound great for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back