++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #28,666 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
For only $50 and unamped, you'll get more for your money with an IEM or portable can.

However, if you still want full sized cans with that budget--give Samson cans a look/listen.

Would it be better to just save up my money and invest in something like the ATH M50, or something else around $75-100 for casual listening?

At $75 to $100 there are a number of good cans to consider--with or without an amp.

May 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #28,669 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't know why everyone recommends the M50s so much. They sound so weak...

It'd be better to save up just a little to get a good pair. The CAL!s are highly recommended around these parts. There's also the MDR-V6s if you are wanting a neutral pair of headphones...

Edit: There is also the JVC HA-S500s, which are on ear (not around the ear) and I just ordered those. Highly recommended by many.

Thanks for the reply.
Out of the three you mentioned do you think you'd be able to pick out a favorite? 

May 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #28,671 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Out of the three you mentioned do you think you'd be able to pick out a favorite? 

I don't think so, the V6s are way different from the other 2. the V6s are very neutral, while the  CAL!s and the S500s are both laid back, slightly recessed in their treble.  They are both highly recommended on this site. Both the CAL!s and the S500s will be funner then the V6s (to the average person). You can't go wrong with either. I went with the S500s because they are really well liked for EDMs. Not like the CAL!s are a slouch either, though...

...But... the HA-S500 manages to have a 422 page appreciation thread. I think that speaks for itself. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread

Edit: Here is a comparison made by someone on that thread between the CAL! and the S500s:

Quote:
Aurvana's are good headphones especially when bought for the sale price of $60 or so. But in all honesty the drivers in the HA-S500 are superior..I only wish the Ha-S500 had bigger cups like the Aurvana lives but the most important part of the headphones win here which is the sound.  
Over all detail is better over the Aurvana lives. Especially in the bass end. Aurvana lives bass end can sound somewhat flabby if not grainy on low bass tracks. Not so on the HA-S500. Overall I would say the sound is tighter, cleaner.

I got mine ordered for $65 after shipping. They are only sold in Japan as of right now (and probably forever), so they take a while to get here and the shipping is huge. There is also a mod you can do for less then $20 later on to make them truly around the ear.

May 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #28,674 of 29,490
Quote:
"Everyone" doesn't....

And I didn't say otherwise. I was only speaking for myself.

But there are a large number of people on this forum who agree with me, now that you mention it.

May 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #28,675 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't think so, the V6s are way different from the other 2. the V6s are very neutral, while the  CAL!s and the S500s are both laid back, slightly recessed in their treble.  They are both highly recommended on this site. Both the CAL!s and the S500s will be funner then the V6s (to the average person). You can't go wrong with either. I went with the S500s because they are really well liked for EDMs. Not like the CAL!s are a slouch either, though...

...But... the HA-S500 manages to have a 422 page appreciation thread. I think that speaks for itself. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread

Edit: Here is a comparison made by someone on that thread between the CAL! and the S500s:

I got mine ordered for $65 after shipping. They are only sold in Japan as of right now (and probably forever), so they take a while to get here and the shipping is huge. There is also a mod you can do for less then $20 later on to make them truly around the ear.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. :) I'm going to do my due diligence and look around a little more before I make my final decision, but as of right now I'm definitely leaning towards the S500's.

May 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #28,676 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate the help. :) I'm going to do my due diligence and look around a little more before I make my final decision, but as of right now I'm definitely leaning towards the S500's.

Now 2 things.
Remember, they are in Japan, so they can only be ordered online, and they take 2 weeks to get here at least, usually (unless you pay extra). You said something about long road trips soon?
Also, they are on the ear, not over the ear, except with that mod. With the mod (which is really just putting on around-the-ear earpads) the soundstage is also improved, so its always worth a shot.

May 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #28,677 of 29,490
Quote:
Now 2 things.
Remember, they are in Japan, so they can only be ordered online, and they take 2 weeks to get here at least, usually (unless you pay extra). You said something about long road trips soon?
Also, they are on the ear, not over the ear, except with that mod. With the mod (which is really just putting on around-the-ear earpads) the soundstage is also improved, so its always worth a shot.

The road trips don't actually start until about 4 weeks from now. I plan on ordering them sometime this weekend, so hopefully they should be in by then. 
Yeah, I was actually considering doing the mod. Is it a fairly easy project for someone without experience with that, or should I just leave it alone?

May 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #28,678 of 29,490
Quote:
The road trips don't actually start until about 4 weeks from now. I plan on ordering them sometime this weekend, so hopefully they should be in by then. 
Yeah, I was actually considering doing the mod. Is it a fairly easy project for someone without experience with that, or should I just leave it alone?

The mod should be fairly simple. All you do is add an Oring over the top of the first pads, then add the HM5 pads over the top of that.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/4080#post_9023880

They supposedly don't look as pretty, though. Meh, I don't see the problem.

May 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #28,679 of 29,490
^ simplest mod EVER lol! Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back