++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #28,696 of 29,490
Need a CLOSED headphone for home/work use. Portability is a plus.

- Budget: $500 max, <300 ideal, used/refurb is fine
- Easily driven without an amp (MacBook, iPhone)
- Comfortable for long sessions (3+ hours)
- Deep, punchy bass. I listen to a lot of EDM.
- Clear mids, unharsh highs

Here are some headphones I've tried and some things I liked or didn't like about them. Perhaps my best option is already among these but I want to consider every option to find the perfect phone.

Hifiman HE-400: heavy, too little bass, boring sounding, painfully sharp highs.

Ultrasone 900: too much upper mid bass (makes acoustic music muddy), probably too much bass in general, mids too recessed

AKG 550: similar to he-400 (very flat EQ, not enough bass)

Denon AH-D600: very bassy (maybe ever so slightly too much) but better than Ultrasone, mids slightly too recessed, nice highs, very wide soundstage, mic, comfortable ear pads, too loose fitting on the head.

Sennheiser Momentum: probably the best contender so far, perfect sound for me (balanced sound with accentuated bass, good sub bass, fun), light, stylish, mic, on ear design uncomfortable after long sessions, narrower soundstage but still decent, more portable.

Basically I want a true circumaural Momentum. Is there a way to change the ear pads? Otherwise bring on other suggestions. Many thanks.

May 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #28,697 of 29,490
Greetings everyone.

I currently have DT 990 Pro's, powered by a Xonar DG sound card. ($30 thing)

I work at Best Buy, so my cost for any headphones from there is Cost + 5%. (Which is a very nice discount for headphones).

I'm debating between Astro A40's or a real pair of "headphones". I'll probably buy a Xonar Essence STX sound card as well (Or just a Xonar DSX, $60 vs $190. 107dB vs 124dB though). Astro's run at 104dB.

I'm mainly a gamer, and I'm basically wondering if the sound quality of A40's vs a comparable $300 pair of headphones is..well, a large difference.

I'm looking for headphones that would be good with noise cancellation/sound isolation as well. Closed, able to use in a library.

May 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #28,699 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings everyone.

I currently have DT 990 Pro's, powered by a Xonar DG sound card. ($30 thing)

I work at Best Buy, so my cost for any headphones from there is Cost + 5%. (Which is a very nice discount for headphones).

I'm debating between Astro A40's or a real pair of "headphones". I'll probably buy a Xonar Essence STX sound card as well (Or just a Xonar DSX, $60 vs $190. 107dB vs 124dB though). Astro's run at 104dB.

I'm mainly a gamer, and I'm basically wondering if the sound quality of A40's vs a comparable $300 pair of headphones is..well, a large difference.

I'm looking for headphones that would be good with noise cancellation/sound isolation as well. Closed, able to use in a library.

Yes, there would be an absolutely huge difference. if you want some headphones for gaming, check this page:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-17-13-skullcandy-plyr-1-added

May 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #28,700 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a question if anyone can answer, how much is a new Denon D2000 worth in EU?
I can get it for ~ 320 euros, but i don't think it's worth it...

Can only tell you that in the U.S. a very good new one is listed on amazon for $320.

A new one for $415 would be an excellent buy for this discontinued and very popular can.

May 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #28,702 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you looking for open or closed headphones? And are you looking for bass emphasis? I haven't heard them, but I understand the IE8s have some bass emphasis.

Yes, I would prefer some good bass. Would the Beyer DT990's 250OHM fit my preferences? don't know too many HP brands out there. Some open/closed HP recommendations would be nice! Thanks for the response

Btw, I recently purchased a pair of DT1350's, I like the SQ, Isolation and Bass, but the earpads kills me after 1-2 hours. Does the comfort problem ever go away? 

May 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #28,703 of 29,490
I took the plunge. I have an ATH-M50 on my head right now.

The sub-bass is great. The regular bass is *almost* there. I'm thinking... should I get an E6 and run it on EQ 2 (I'm already using Foobar2000 + Real Bass Exciter) or should I return it while I still can and get the ATH Pro700 MK2 ? 

I'm really digging the comfort of the M50's and the sound is detailed and crisp. I would just love it if it had more bass, although what bass it does have is good (not spectacular like I want it).

May 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #28,704 of 29,490
So, I got Sennheiser HD 598 few days ago and I will get FiiO e17 amp few days later. These are awesome, but I immediately noticed that I need also closed headphones for day time use, studying etc. I was thinking going for little cheaper than HD 598. 

I was thinking of ATH-M50, and I started to search headphones in same price category. I found AKG K-550. Friend recommended K 273 and even more cheaper K-272 HD. Isolation is of course quite important. Sound does not have to be similar to HD 598. I actually would like to have them little more bass heavy than my HD 598 so I can use them with different kind of music and for more immersion in games. DT-770 lands to this category also, but from what I hear they might be too bass heavy for my music taste and for gaming.

Any thoughts?

May 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #28,705 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Can only tell you that in the U.S. a very good new one is listed on amazon for $320.

A new one for $415 would be an excellent buy for this discontinued and very popular can.

So is it worth it? It's ~425$ but it is new.

If you like the sound signature--yes.  This can has been discontinued for about a year and there is nothing like it on the current market.  Read more here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

May 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #28,706 of 29,490
Quote:
If you like the sound signature--yes.  This can has been discontinued for about a year and there is nothing like it on the current market.  Read more here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Hmm interesting they'r listed as the best bang for buck at 349$. So i guess they are a little worse bang for buck at 425 but not by much.

May 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #28,708 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm interesting they'r listed as the best bang for buck at 349$. So i guess they are a little worse bang for buck at 425 but not by much.

Personally I wouldn't go for it, seeing as the d2ks used to retail for under 300. The d2k also has rather poor build quality compared to many others in this price range.

Have you heard them?

BTW build quality seems to have improved over their production cycle.  There was a problem with the screws in a number of cases.  I will add that these are designed as stay at home headphones for adults.  If you treat them with reasonable care in that context, you should not have a problem.

May 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #28,709 of 29,490
Quote:
Personally I wouldn't go for it, seeing as the d2ks used to retail for under 300. The d2k also has rather poor build quality compared to many others in this price range.

Yeah i also saw some threads that said they were under 300, that's why i asked if it is worth it.

I want to decide between Akg K550, DT770 Pro (at 250$ each) and Denon D2000 for some gaming and i want something closed mostly because i like to stay up at night and don't like to disturb my room-mate and i also hate outside noises when i play.

I already have my perfect cans for music, Grado SR80i so i wanted something closed with a good soundstage and these were the ones i found that are best.

But i really don't know what to get.

Quote:
Have you heard them?

BTW build quality seems to have improved over their production cycle.  There was a problem with the screws in a number of cases.  I will add that these are designed as stay at home headphones for adults.  If you treat them with reasonable care in that context, you should not have a problem.

Heh i won't have a problem with that, i purchased a Senn HD 380 Pro 2 or 3 years ago, they look like new, the only thing they have is a small paint-scratch at the top, but only the writing not the plastic.

May 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #28,710 of 29,490
Quote:

Yeah i also saw some threads that said they were under 300, that's why i asked if it is worth it.

I want to decide between Akg K550, DT770 Pro (at 250$ each) and Denon D2000 for some gaming and i want something closed mostly because i like to stay up at night and don't like to disturb my room-mate and i also hate outside noises when i play.

I already have my perfect cans for music, Grado SR80i so i wanted something closed with a good soundstage and these were the ones i found that are best.

But i really don't know what to get.

A900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back