++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #27,976 of 29,490
hello again, i had a simple question and was wondering. would an headphone amplifier benefit the sennheiser momentum headphones at all? people say they do not need an amp to be driven like other high end headphones but i just wanted to know if using one would still increase my music quality. if so i was thinkinh about the fiio E17. if it does benefit (let's say it does) how does it work, plug headphones into the amp and plug the amp into my laptop via a USB? and would i have to buy the part sepertately or would it come with the required usb?

May 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #27,977 of 29,490
hello again, i had a simple question and was wondering. would an headphone amplifier benefit the sennheiser momentum headphones at all? people say they do not need an amp to be driven like other high end headphones but i just wanted to know if using one would still increase my music quality. if so i was thinkinh about the fiio E17. if it does benefit (let's say it does) how does it work, plug headphones into the amp and plug the amp into my laptop via a USB? and would i have to buy the part sepertately or would it come with the required usb?

This particular thread is for full-sized headphones. You'll want to ask that question in the amp forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps

May 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #27,978 of 29,490
Hello, everyone. First post, but I've lurked here for quite a while. I'm looking for a pair of headphones in the 0-1500SEK range as priced in Sweden (that translates to headphones priced at 0-150USD in the States, adjusted for product markup). I don't have an amp or any accessories, so all I have is my iPod Classic to plug into (or sometimes the laptop). I'm considering getting a Fiio after the headphone pair.

What I'd like out of these is clarity above all. When I listen actively I love trying to pick out a melody or instrument in the song'd background and paying attention to those, and I enjoy hearing the echoes or falloff of an instrument. Though not a basshead, I'm not very willing to sacrifice a lot of lower range power for this - I found both the AKG K271 and K550 sounding thin. I'm using in-ears right now, so I don't mind a small soundstage, but it should be pretty decent if possible. I'd rather have rolling, warm bass over punch-your-face bass. I'll mainly be keeping this at home, but I'll definitely be carrying it out a few times, so portability is a plus. Closed back required.

My taste in music is fairly eclectic. I do listen to a lot of electronic music, trance and techno included, but overall, I tend to stick to things with a lot of "air" and layering of instruments. But being eclectic, the headphones should work equally well for indie rock and classical as it should the synthetic stuff. Some songs to demonstrate what I mean.

DJ Orkidea - Bye Bye Beautiful
Welcome to the New Extreme
Decemberists - Crane Wife 3

I'm considering the ATH-M50 right now, which is on the higher end of my price range (1350SEK) but seems pretty good and has some of what I need. Other suggestions welcome.

May 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #27,979 of 29,490
Not sure of the price in Sweden, but you might also consider the Creative Aurvana Live!

It's a very well reviewed and highly recommended headphone in the sub-$100 closed range.

review

Also, OT, but one of my favorite bands these days is from Sweden.

May 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #27,980 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first quality headphone(have the bose ae2 but do not satisfy). I love listening to rap, hip-hop, and alternative (coldplay, imagine dragons, etc.) Ive limited my choices to the ATH M50, ATH PRO700MK2, and ATH WS77. I would prefer the over ear style but the on ear is fine. I really want the headphone to have great mids and highs and a refined, strong bass that doesn't interfere with other frequencies badly. I would be using the headphones on-the-go and at home so portability is another deciding factor. I would really appreciate a reply as soon as possible since i have to decide and purchase them tonight. Many thanks

May 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #27,981 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first quality headphone(have the bose ae2 but do not satisfy). I love listening to rap, hip-hop, and alternative (coldplay, imagine dragons, etc.) Ive limited my choices to the ATH M50, ATH PRO700MK2, and ATH WS77. I would prefer the over ear style but the on ear is fine. I really want the headphone to have great mids and highs and a refined, strong bass that doesn't interfere with other frequencies badly. I would be using the headphones on-the-go and at home so portability is another deciding factor. I would really appreciate a reply as soon as possible since i have to decide and purchase them tonight. Many thanks

Welcome. What's your budget? Will you be using an amp?

May 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #27,983 of 29,490
Hi im new to this. Can you tell me which headphone is better DT770 80 ohms or A900x?
I listen to wide variety of music Metal,Rap.Reggae,Pop and Christian music.I also dont plan on getting a amp either(possibly an E6). My source is walkman z series if this helps(I love it! when its not glitchy).
Could you also tell me how they compare to HFI-780 ultrasones(i own a pair).
Im looking for headphones that are bassy,comfy and have good sound.

Thank you very much.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #27,985 of 29,490
Quote:

Just so you know, the ATH-M50s are known for having slightly recessed mids.

Quote:
Not sure of the price in Sweden, but you might also consider the Creative Aurvana Live!

It's a very well reviewed and highly recommended headphone in the sub-$100 closed range.

review

Also, OT, but one of my favorite bands these days is from Sweden.

It looks nice, and the pricetag is friendly. Unfortunately, it does look pretty fragile, so I'd be worried about breaking it if I got it.

Anyone have some other suggestions?

May 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #27,986 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't think of any closed cans that meet your requirements and are not very, very expensive.  The Sony MDR 7520 is very good, but it does not have the sound signature that you seek.  The Audio Technica ATH-W1000X and ATH-A900X are also good, but not exactly your sound signature.

Again KG Jag, thanks for your response. The above headphones are out of my current price range though. I think for the moment I'm going to go with a set of the Sony MDR-V6's. Any experience of the MDR-V6's? From what I've read they're not too expensive, have great portability, sound quality and are easily driven for their price. I'm going to hold out and eventually get a set of open headphones with my eyes set on a pair of Beyerdynamics. Either the DT880's/990's. Thanks for your help

May 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #27,987 of 29,490
Hi, I have a few inquiries. I've been pretty obsessed and anxious about purchasing headphones lately. I actually tried to cancel my order at one point because my anxiety got the best of me. I've been reading headphone reviews all day. I'm looking for a little input. I just ordered sennheiser amperior headphones, because I basically want a better all purpose headphone. I have junky beat up headphones that I use all the time (the bose AE2), they're my only headphones; my main goal is to replace them and only use my old ones for running. They've served me well, but I'm just wishing they had a better sound. The amperior headphones were what I got instead of V-Moda M100, DT 770 LE, AKG 550, and Sennheiser Momentum. Not really hoping to return my headphones I just ordered before I at least try them, although I'd like to feel like I made the right decision, because right now I'm wondering if full size headphones could have been a better option. I got a good deal on the sennheiser amperior headphones for like 220 dollars. I mainly listen to metal and shoegaze type stuff. I mean metal like super distorted and compressed death metal and black metal, recorded with an answering machine. My budget is under 400 dollars, and I want unamplified headphones because amps don't sound right for me and are too expensive. If I were to get a headphone like the beyerdynamic headphone, then I would have enough money for an amp under 200 dollars; would a setup like that sound better than what I just purchased, or will I probably be happy with my headphones I just ordered and I'm over thinking it?

May 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #27,989 of 29,490

Hi im new to this. Can you tell me which headphone is better DT770 80 ohms or A900x?
I listen to wide variety of music Metal,Rap.Reggae,Pop and Christian music.I also dont plan on getting a amp either(possibly an E6). My source is walkman z series if this helps(I love it! when its not glitchy).
Could you also tell me how they compare to HFI-780 ultrasones(i own a pair).
Im looking for headphones that are bassy,comfy and have good sound.

First, I really feel like the DT770s have to have an amp. The A900xs you could get by without one.

The DT770s have more bass to me than the A900x. Both have more clarity than the 780s you have, and the 780s have more mid presence than each. If you like the bass you get from the 780s, I'd go with the DT770s.

May 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #27,990 of 29,490
Quote:
First, I really feel like the DT770s have to have an amp. The A900xs you could get by without one.

The DT770s have more bass to me than the A900x. Both have more clarity than the 780s you have, and the 780s have more mid presence than each. If you like the bass you get from the 780s, I'd go with the DT770s.

So if I were to go with DT770 would a E6 work great or would I need a E11? Are their any other closed headphones you recommend that are similar to DT770? Thank you for answering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back