++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #27,946 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which full size open circumaural headphones to buy. I mainly listen to classical music, and the headphones should sound good with acoustic instruments like the harpsichord, violin etc. My budget is around £300 - £350, so I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser HD-600s and the Beyerdynamics DT-880 600ohm. I'll be using the headphones with an Epiphany EHP-02D DAC/Amp http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Am not familiar with your DAC/amp.  You'll have to check with them or other owners with regard to what it can drive and drive well.

Speaking strictly to headphones, your two choices are very good ones.  The Senn will be the easier of the two to drive.  However, the DT 880 is available in (almost as good) 250 Ohm flavors, if the 600 Ohm is too much for your equipment.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #27,947 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie from the other side of the world - a European hailing from Malta, right in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea.

First of all, a very well done to everyone here.. I've been reading your contributions for hours, and it's amazing how you're ready to share your wealth of information!! - Keep it up!! 
biggrin.gif

Now, I would seriously appreciate some help on an issue that I've been trying to solve for days.

Basically I bought this new micro-system - Denon RCD-M39DAB.  I bought it mainly because it has DAB (recently launched in Malta), has 'equalizer' (-/+10 Treble and Bass), and because it fit my budget.

I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-XD200, and was considering improving the setup by buying a Fiio e6 amp with the Denon. But are these amps more aimed to use with small mp3 players or would it still make a significant difference with a micro system?

Hope you get a good answer, but that is not a full sized headphone recommendation question, which is what this thread covers.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #27,948 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some open back headphones that are good for acoustic and blues music but also very good for movies. I'd love a big soundstage. Considering the HD558's at the moment and thinking about doing the foam mod. No places where i can test out headphones near me so I can only go on what you guys say. Price range from $100-$200 and needs to be able to be shipped to australia.

The Senn is a good choice.  So are the even more efficient ATH-AD900 (+/- "X").

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #27,949 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for some open back headphones that are good for acoustic and blues music but also very good for movies. I'd love a big soundstage. Considering the HD558's at the moment and thinking about doing the foam mod. No places where i can test out headphones near me so I can only go on what you guys say. Price range from $100-$200 and needs to be able to be shipped to australia.

The HD558 are said to have amazing soundstage for the price, but they are missing alot of detail. Try to get Grados, SR60 , SR80, SR125 and SR225 ! They all have a different sound, but they similar
smily_headphones1.gif

The Grados are excellent choices for the music side.  However, they have a small sound stage (sitting with the band sound sigature) and are not so good for movies.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #27,950 of 29,490
Quote:
Really in need of help now.

I'm trying to find the best headphone for me (under $300)

Stuck between these:
1. ATH-AD900X
2. Beyerdynamic DT880
3. V-Moda M-100
4. AKG Q701

Which one of those has the most detail and clarity? And the best 'bang for your buck' ?

The Q701, but...

your answer may be different if:

You don't have an amp.

You did like bass emphasized cans.

You prefer a different sound signature.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #27,951 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Wait, so you haven't actually heard the cans you adamantly recommended? 
blink.gif

Never said I did, but I have done plenty of research as well as comparisons to the pair I have tried (M-80's). Would you like a cookie?

M80 and M100 are completely different. One thing I learned real quick when I join here was to not speak about items I didn't have experience with. Probably best to give advice that you can actually stand by. Other users coming to this thread are reliant on people giving them educated feedback. I'm sure you'll have another amusing response to this.

Quote:
Hey guys, I made a new thread to ask this question a few days ago because apparently I'm blind and completely missed this one. Anyway, since I didn't get a response there I'm hoping I will here.

I'm in the market for an open full size headphone for home theater and gaming use. I'd love it if it sounded great when listening to music as well but that is a secondary and less important concern (I listen to rock, pop, and electronic stuff mostly). Above all the most important thing I'm looking for here is comfort. I want something that I could have on my head for 8 hours and not be bothered by it should I decide on some lazy Sunday that all I want to do is play videogames and watch movies. I recently sold a pair of Ultrasone cans simply because they started to weigh on my head and hurt my neck after a few hours (they also didn't play terribly well with my glasses (by the way I wear glasses so, take that into consideration I suppose)).

My setup isn't terribly sophisticated. I'm running the optical out from my PC's motherboard to my AVR (Pioneer VSX-821k) and just using the headphone out on that for now. Eventually I'm going to invest in a dedicated DAC/amp for my headphones but it's not in the cards in the near future. I've spotted a few Astro Mixamp Pro's on eBay in the $80 range so I MAY grab one of those (for Dolby headphone decoding) and connect it to the PC via TOSLINK and either go to the AVR or straight to the headphones from there, pending on if I need more amping.

My budget is set at no more than $200, and the lower the better as I'd really quite like to stay at around $150. Current contenders are Sennheiser's HD 558 (which I'd likely mod to bring them closer to a 598 sound signature) which I can get factory refurbished for about $110, Audio Technica's AD-900 which goes for about $170, and Beyerdynamic's DT 990 Pro 250 ohm which go for $200 (though I'm concerned I can't amp these properly). I am of course open to other suggestions if I've overlooked another solid contender.

Appreciate any help you all can give me. (And yes, I've read Envy's gaming headphone guide, it's basically what got me to where I am in my decision)

I think you're on the right track with the HD 558. Stepping up to the warm HD 598 isn't a bad idea and they can generally be found for around $175 refurbished. Both are also very nice for gaming (positional accuracy is good) and all around use. You can cross the DT 990 Pro off of your list. It is a good choice for what you want (better than the 880), but your budget doesn't allow you to power these where they need to be.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #27,952 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure I have a recommendation, but I have some things worth thinking about. I wear glasses as well and I find that the main issue with my personal pair is that the extend too far passed my ears to fit inside the Sennheiser oval cup shape but they fit very well in the Beyerdynamic circular cup. This all depends on your type of glasses and your head shape. I also had issues with the ATH-A900X fitting well with glasses (worse than the Senns) and I think they are similar in fit (if not exactly the same) to the AD900's you mentioned.

Also, is there any reason you are looking at the DT990's more than that DT880's?

That's very good information to have and I'll keep it in mind when making my decision, thank you. I'm not sure if it would be an issue as my glasses don't stick too far out past my earlobe (1/4"-1/2" maybe?). I am replacing them soon though, so good to future proof I suppose 
smile.gif
. If it helps I auditioned a pair of HD-650s once and didn't find them to be a problem. I did have a problem with my Ultrasone's however in that they were so shallow that my ears pressed against the cloth that covers the drivers which in turn put pressure against my glasses and became unbearably uncomfortable after a couple hours. I have the same problem with my V-Moda M80s right now as well, which sucks because I'm absolutely in love with them.

As for the 990 vs 880 it basically comes down to price and soundstage. The cheapest 880's I've found are $240 which puts them 20% beyond my maximum budget. My understanding is the 990's have a more open soundstage as well due to being open, as opposed to the semi-open 880.

Quote:
I think you're on the right track with the HD 558. Stepping up to the warm HD 598 isn't a bad idea and they can generally be found for around $175 refurbished. Both are also very nice for gaming (positional accuracy is good) and all around use. You can cross the DT 990 Pro off of your list. It is a good choice for what you want (better than the 880), but your budget doesn't allow you to power these where they need to be.

Ahh, I was worried about that with the 990. Shame I can't find the 32ohm version in my price range. Hmm, well this is getting interesting. 558 and AD900 may not play well with glasses and I can't do the 990 justice.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #27,953 of 29,490
So I'm looking for headphones around the $200 - $300 range. (Preferably Closed back)
Genres I listen to often:
- Electronic
- DnB
- Chillstep? (not really sure if its a genre)
- Classical (work music)

Genres I listen to sometimes:
- Video Game Music (chiptunes + full on songs)
- Rock
- RnB
- Dubstep

I have the ATH-M50 already and they do the job well. I'm just looking for a pair of headphones that'll hopefully deliver more powerful bass however. I'm considering the Pro 900, DT 770, or the HFI 780 if I really need to. Will also be getting a Fiio E11. Suggestions?

EDIT: Considering the Mad Dogs or even a used pair of D600.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #27,954 of 29,490
DT 770 will be fine or even better Mad Dog + Leather ALPHA Pads + Comfort Strap

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #27,956 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie from the other side of the world - a European hailing from Malta, right in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea.

First of all, a very well done to everyone here.. I've been reading your contributions for hours, and it's amazing how you're ready to share your wealth of information!! - Keep it up!! 
biggrin.gif

Now, I would seriously appreciate some help on an issue that I've been trying to solve for days.

Basically I bought this new micro-system - Denon RCD-M39DAB.  I bought it mainly because it has DAB (recently launched in Malta), has 'equalizer' (-/+10 Treble and Bass), and because it fit my budget.

I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-XD200, and was considering improving the setup by buying a Fiio e6 amp with the Denon. But are these amps more aimed to use with small mp3 players or would it still make a significant difference with a micro system?

Off topic, but my wife and I are US citizens that have considered ex-patriating to Malta. Nice to "meet" someone from there.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #27,957 of 29,490
That's very good information to have and I'll keep it in mind when making my decision, thank you. I'm not sure if it would be an issue as my glasses don't stick too far out past my earlobe (1/4"-1/2" maybe?). I am replacing them soon though, so good to future proof I suppose 
smile.gif

Ahh, I was worried about that with the 990. Shame I can't find the 32ohm version in my price range. Hmm, well this is getting interesting. 558 and AD900 may not play well with glasses and I can't do the 990 justice.

Comfort, like anything else here, is a personal thing. Just because one person is experiencing it doesn't mean you will. Try the 558 out and make your own decision. I think it will work fine for you.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #27,958 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones between $200-$350. Don't need to be portable, since from what I understand open cans sound more natural and clear than closed ones. I like songs from all the genres, but I'm predominately a classic rock guy. For instance, here are some songs I would love to sound great on my headphones:
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Baba O'Riley - The Who
There She Goes - The La's
Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin
Dancing with the Moonlit Knight - Genesis
Perth - Bon Iver

It would be great if the headphones are versatile so they can make stuff like MGMT, Depeche Mode, or Michael Jackson sound good too, but but the priority is basically stuff like Zeppelin. It's ok if the phones need to be amped, if they do i'll probably buy like a ~$100 amp. Some cans that have piqued my interest are:
DT 880 Pro (heard they had good detail and flat response)
Q701 (heard they have good detail but lack some bass)
sr325is (heard they're great for rock, but can be a bit harsh)
Hifiman HE-400 (a bit expensive, but if they're really worth the extra $ I'd consider it)

Right now I listen to music on my m-audio bx5a monitors (speakers). They have great clarity and quick bass, but I want some good headphones to give me some deeper bass. So I really want clarity and detail (without being too peircing/harsh/bright) and deep, impactful, but not overpowering, bass. 

Thanks for reading my wordy post, I'd really appreciate your input! :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #27,959 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones between $200-$350. Don't need to be portable, since from what I understand open cans sound more natural and clear than closed ones. I like songs from all the genres, but I'm predominately a classic rock guy. For instance, here are some songs I would love to sound great on my headphones:
Baba O'Riley - The Who
Perth - Bon Iver

It would be great if the headphones are versatile so they can make stuff like MGMT, Depeche Mode, or Michael Jackson sound good too, but but the priority is basically stuff like Zeppelin. It's ok if the phones need to be amped, if they do i'll probably buy like a ~$100 amp. Some cans that have piqued my interest are:
Hifiman HE-400 (a bit expensive, but if they're really worth the extra $ I'd consider it)

Right now I listen to music on my m-audio bx5a monitors (speakers). They have great clarity and quick bass, but I want some good headphones to give me some deeper bass. So I really want clarity and detail (without being too peircing/harsh/bright) and deep, impactful, but not overpowering, bass. 

Wordy is good. The more info you give, the better the feedback will be. You've picked some good ones there. I have not heard the SR325IS or the HE-400, but I can give you some feedback on the others.

The DT 880 Pro is a fairly neutral and flat can with a very nice soundstage. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all for what you're looking at. The Q701 is an airy can with lots of detail and a super soundstage. Some people have cited the Q701 lacks some bass and there is some truth to it, but it's a sound I prefer. I don't think the bright Q701 is what you're looking for. I would add the K702 65th Anniversary to your short list. It's basically a much warmer Q701 and can be found in your budget with a little shopping.

Anything you or I have mentioned, it's going to require an amp. If your budget is around $100, look into the E09K or Mangi.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #27,960 of 29,490
Quote:
Baba O'Riley - The Who
Perth - Bon Iver

You don't mention the source of your music, but assuming it's of quality and there are no DAC issues...

Get the Alessandro MS-2 (less bright sibling of the Grado SR 325is) if you want to avoid amp issues.  Both of these cans will rock your world.

If you get a $100 amp, I'd go with the Schiit Magni (based on research and owning the Asgard 1).  Then get the Senn HD 600 (very neutral), HD 650 (mid bass hump) or DT 880 600 Ohm version (the 250 Ohm Pro version is not too far below it).  Read about these last three cans here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

The Q 701 will be too ethereal for your needs.  The HE 400 is a quality can, but its mids aren't quite what they should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back