++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #27,991 of 29,490
I found the Beyer DT770 80ohm for roughly the same price as the ATH M50 - that is, around 1400SEK or 220USD. Do you guys think this is better value?

I like what I'm hearing about the DT770s, but I personally dislike the design and am worried about the artificiality and apparently grating trebles. I don't have any opportunity to try either the m50 or the dt770 out, so really, I'm going to have to trust someone experienced.

My budget, criteria etc. are in the previous page.

May 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #27,992 of 29,490
Quote:
Again KG Jag, thanks for your response. The above headphones are out of my current price range though. I think for the moment I'm going to go with a set of the Sony MDR-V6's. Any experience of the MDR-V6's? From what I've read they're not too expensive, have great portability, sound quality and are easily driven for their price. I'm going to hold out and eventually get a set of open headphones with my eyes set on a pair of Beyerdynamics. Either the DT880's/990's. Thanks for your help

I know I'll get some flak for this, but the V6 is my favorite can under $100. It's a great way to go.

May 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #27,993 of 29,490
Quote:
I found the Beyer DT770 80ohm for roughly the same price as the ATH M50 - that is, around 1400SEK or 220USD. Do you guys think this is better value?

I like what I'm hearing about the DT770s, but I personally dislike the design and am worried about the artificiality and apparently grating trebles. I don't have any opportunity to try either the m50 or the dt770 out, so really, I'm going to have to trust someone experienced.

My budget, criteria etc. are in the previous page.

If you're caught between those two, the DT 770 is the clear winner. I think it sounds better through the entire frequency and is more comfortable. Only thing is you really need am amp on it to make it sing.

May 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #27,995 of 29,490
Following on from my earlier post I have decided to take the plunge and get a pair of SR225i's.  I really enjoy the sound of my SR60's and would rather stick with Grado.  I found it at a very good price...over £100 cheaper than Amazon charge.  It's ridiculous how expensive Grado's are in the UK compared to the States.  Anyway looking forward to the SR225i's.  I'm sure they will be great.

May 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #27,996 of 29,490
Hi all, new user here, looking for a recommendation.

I have the ATH M50s, but I'm looking for some open cans. I've read the guides here (and lots of other stuff online), so I'm just asking if anyone has any other good suggestions for $150 than the AD900s (NOT the AD900X).

Thanks!

May 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #27,997 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, new user here, looking for a recommendation.

I have the ATH M50s, but I'm looking for some open cans. I've read the guides here (and lots of other stuff online), so I'm just asking if anyone has any other good suggestions for $150 than the AD900s (NOT the AD900X).

Thanks!

Welcome to Head-Fi and we are not responsible for what happens next :) 

Is that $150 around $150 or is $150 your max?? 

Here are some quick favorites:

DT990/250 Pro not Premium Can be had around your price on eBay no problem! V shaped sound sig and stupid comfortable
HD598 (used) Very comfortable and neutral with a slick sound midrange
DT440 & DT860 used Both are great all arounders with the 860's being the better can but you'll have to find them used to be around $150

The only ones you'll need and amp with are the DT990's and HD598's. But that can be had for for really cheap. $40-$60 can do you right in regards of little amps that will give you that little extra something. 

Good Luck!!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #27,998 of 29,490
So if I were to go with DT770 would a E6 work great or would I need a E11? Are their any other closed headphones you recommend that are similar to DT770? Thank you for answering.

I don't know of any closed headphones in that price range that are similar to the DT770. The V-Moda Crossfade LP2 might be comparable, but I have not heard them. Someone else might have a suggestion.

The E11 is considered to be a better amp than the E6. If you can afford to wait and save for it, would be worthwhile since you are getting a nice set of headphones. Or, since you are going to get an amp, save the money and get the DT770 Pro 250 ohm for $179 from Amazon or $169 from B&H Photo instead of the 80 ohm. That would make up most of the difference over the Fiio E6/E11.

May 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #27,999 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Again KG Jag, thanks for your response. The above headphones are out of my current price range though. I think for the moment I'm going to go with a set of the Sony MDR-V6's. Any experience of the MDR-V6's? From what I've read they're not too expensive, have great portability, sound quality and are easily driven for their price. I'm going to hold out and eventually get a set of open headphones with my eyes set on a pair of Beyerdynamics. Either the DT880's/990's. Thanks for your help

I know I'll get some flak for this, but the V6 is my favorite can under $100. It's a great way to go.

No flak really.  I just think that the newer Sony MDR 7506 is a better can, especially at about $88 from Amazon.

May 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #28,000 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend headphones under $800 that are different than DT 990-600s?

I'm looking for something that is very comfortable, with great bass and especially midrange, and smooth highs. In other words, they can't have the steep V-shape.

Currently I only have the HE-400s or 500s in my sight.

May 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #28,001 of 29,490
Quote:
No flak really.  I just think that the newer Sony MDR 7506 is a better can, especially at about $88 from Amazon.

Finally something I'm an "expert" on! Second KG Jag's opinion here. I love/d my v6. But of the two, the 7506 is better. But then the 7506 is still more expensive, isn't it?

May 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #28,002 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone recommend headphones under $800 that are different than DT 990-600s?

I'm looking for something that is very comfortable, with great bass and especially midrange, and smooth highs. In other words, they can't have the steep V-shape.

Currently I only have the HE-400s or 500s in my sight.

Neither of those has a "V' shaped EQ, but then your narrative didn't describe that either.

The HE 500 are pure neutral goodness, with everything being there that should and nothing that shouldn't.  The only knocks I have for the HD 500 is that they a bit heavy; reguire a good amp with decent power and soundstage, while good, could be improved.  The HE 500 is the day to day best can for the money and the best can period in your price range.

May 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #28,003 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Finally something I'm an "expert" on! Second KG Jag's opinion here. I love/d my v6. But of the two, the 7506 is better. But then the 7506 is still more expensive, isn't it?

Yup--the current price spread at Amazon is about $20.

May 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #28,004 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is that $150 around $150 or is $150 your max?? 

DT990/250 Pro not Premium Can be had around your price on eBay no problem! V shaped sound sig and stupid comfortable
HD598 (used) Very comfortable and neutral with a slick sound midrange
DT440 & DT860 used Both are great all arounders with the 860's being the better can but you'll have to find them used to be around $150

Thanks for the reply!  I had started with a budget around $100, then realized after a little listening that I would have to put down a minimum of $150 to get something my ears would really like.  Coming to a place like this I was expecting people to try to talk me into spending more. I've been reading up on the BDs, and I'll do more research on those and the Senns tomorrow. Thanks for giving more stuff to read up on. 
biggrin.gif
   One problem, though, is I don't know where I could go to give these (or the AD900s for that matter) a listen.

The only ones you'll need and amp with are the DT990's and HD598's. But that can be had for for really cheap. $40-$60 can do you right in regards of little amps that will give you that little extra something. 

I was planning on getting a Fiio E6 or E11 for my portable.  Are you also suggesting using it for home listening?

Welcome to Head-Fi and we are not responsible for what happens next :) 

Good Luck!!

Honestly, I'm not really an audiophile, and I never thought I would spend this much on headphones.  I thought for the longest time that I just needed some earbuds on the go, and a decent set of cans at home.  But with the reading and listening I've been doing lately, I'm beginning to see how it wouldn't be entirely crazy to have as many as a dozen sets to select from.

You people are dangerous!

wink.gif

May 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #28,005 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new and I'm here for advice.
I live in a place where you cannot listen cans without buying them (from internet) and get them.
So far I've brought four of them:

AKG K-702
AKG K-242HD
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (<- mobile)

I use them with decent Xonar Essence One (nothing special but still better than nothing) except for DT-1350 (that goes straight to my walkman).

I love my K-702... I find K-242HD nothing special (definitely less amusing) and I'm somewhat disappointed from DT770 (something sound ok, I like Adele but the rest in an awful mess with too much bass and no clarity).
Just for comparison I love how DT-1350 sounds (but they are uncomfortable at best)... so the question is:

What kind of "head" I am and what could amuse my ears ?

Sorry for my english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back