++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #27,961 of 29,490
Wordy is good. The more info you give, the better the feedback will be. You've picked some good ones there. I have not heard the SR325IS or the HE-400, but I can give you some feedback on the others.

The DT 880 Pro is a fairly neutral and flat can with a very nice soundstage. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all for what you're looking at. The Q701 is an airy can with lots of detail and a super soundstage. Some people have cited the Q701 lacks some bass and there is some truth to it, but it's a sound I prefer. I don't think the bright Q701 is what you're looking for. I would add the K702 65th Anniversary to your short list. It's basically a much warmer Q701 and can be found in your budget with a little shopping.

Anything you or I have mentioned, it's going to require an amp. If your budget is around $100, look into the E09K or Mangi.

Thanks for the response! Would you say the K702 65th or the DT 880 has better bass punch? and would you say the K702 65th's are worth the extra $ over the DT 880's (if so, why)?

also, i should have mentioned that the amp needs to have a built in DAC, based on that, what ~$100 amp/dac would you suggest?

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #27,962 of 29,490
Quote:
You don't mention the source of your music, but assuming it's of quality and there are no DAC issues...

Get the Alessandro MS-2 (less bright sibling of the Grado SR 325is) if you want to avoid amp issues.  Both of these cans will rock your world.

If you get a $100 amp, I'd go with the Schiit Magni (based on research and owning the Asgard 1).  Then get the Senn HD 600 (very neutral), HD 650 (mid bass hump) or DT 880 600 Ohm version (the 250 Ohm Pro version is not too far below it).  Read about these last three cans here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

The Q 701 will be too ethereal for your needs.  The HE 400 is a quality can, but its mids aren't quite what they should be.

Sorry about that, source is foobar2000 flac. I use my e-mu 0204 dac for my bx5a's, but i would like a new amp/dac specifically for headphones. Of the the MS-2, hd 600, 650, and dt 880, which do you think excels most in detail, clarity, and deep, punchy bass?

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #27,963 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones between $200-$350. Don't need to be portable, since from what I understand open cans sound more natural and clear than closed ones. I like songs from all the genres, but I'm predominately a classic rock guy. For instance, here are some songs I would love to sound great on my headphones:
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Baba O'Riley - The Who
There She Goes - The La's
Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin
Dancing with the Moonlit Knight - Genesis
Perth - Bon Iver

It would be great if the headphones are versatile so they can make stuff like MGMT, Depeche Mode, or Michael Jackson sound good too, but but the priority is basically stuff like Zeppelin. It's ok if the phones need to be amped, if they do i'll probably buy like a ~$100 amp. Some cans that have piqued my interest are:
DT 880 Pro (heard they had good detail and flat response)
Q701 (heard they have good detail but lack some bass)
sr325is (heard they're great for rock, but can be a bit harsh)
Hifiman HE-400 (a bit expensive, but if they're really worth the extra $ I'd consider it)

Right now I listen to music on my m-audio bx5a monitors (speakers). They have great clarity and quick bass, but I want some good headphones to give me some deeper bass. So I really want clarity and detail (without being too peircing/harsh/bright) and deep, impactful, but not overpowering, bass. 

Thanks for reading my wordy post, I'd really appreciate your input! :)

I haven't heard the SR325i, but I own the SR225i. The SR225i are considered a little less bright. I find the Grado transient response remarkable for all kinds of rock, and Jimmy Page's guitar sounds awesome. For instance, I love listening to How the West Was Won on my Grados. The DT880 Pros are nice sounding--very detailed--I would definitely consider them an equivalent class of headphone, but the mids are stronger on the SR225i, making most guitar sound better to me. And the SR225i are much easier to drive. The DT880s do extend deeper in bass, but I don't find I miss that for rock. Particuarly classic rock which doesn't have a lot of sub bass content.

Not everyone likes Grados, but there are many of us who have an absolutely love affair with them for rock. It's worth trying them and then whatever your other main choice would be.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #27,964 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You don't mention the source of your music, but assuming it's of quality and there are no DAC issues...

Get the Alessandro MS-2 (less bright sibling of the Grado SR 325is) if you want to avoid amp issues.  Both of these cans will rock your world.

If you get a $100 amp, I'd go with the Schiit Magni (based on research and owning the Asgard 1).  Then get the Senn HD 600 (very neutral), HD 650 (mid bass hump) or DT 880 600 Ohm version (the 250 Ohm Pro version is not too far below it).  Read about these last three cans here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

The Q 701 will be too ethereal for your needs.  The HE 400 is a quality can, but its mids aren't quite what they should be.

Sorry about that, source is foobar2000 flac. I use my e-mu 0204 dac for my bx5a's, but i would like a new amp/dac specifically for headphones. Of the the MS-2, hd 600, 650, and dt 880, which do you think excels most in detail, clarity, and deep, punchy bass?

None excells significantly above the others in those categories.  It's more like picking between flavors of ice cream.  The DT 880 has the best bass extension (especially the 600 Ohm version), but the HD 650 has the most quanity of bass.  The HD 650 has the least detail and clarity, but many love its smooth tone and mid bass hump.  The MS-2 puts you on stage with the band, which the others don't.  The HD 600 is the best of this group in delivering the music exactly as it was recorded.  The HD 600 and DT 880 are the most versatile.  Truth be told, I could live very happily with any of them listening to classic rock, blues and real country music.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #27,965 of 29,490
What would the 600s bass be comparable too?

None excells significantly above the others in those categories.  It's more like picking between flavors of ice cream.  The DT 880 has the best bass extension (especially the 600 Ohm version), but the HD 650 has the most quanity of bass.  The HD 650 has the least detail and clarity, but many love its smooth tone and mid bass hump.  The MS-2 puts you on stage with the band, which the others don't.  The HD 600 is the best of this group in delivering the music exactly as it was recorded.  The HD 600 and DT 880 are the most versatile.  Truth be told, I could live very happily with any of them listening to classic rock, blues and real country music.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #27,966 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What would the 600s bass be comparable too?

The HD 580 with the HD 650 cable--but that probably won't help you very much.

It's just neutral and balanced with the rest of its sound signature.  I also found that, like the rest of its sound signature, the bass of the HD 600 scales up with better amps and by using quality after market cables (which usually don't come cheap).

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #27,967 of 29,490

For classic rock, blues and acoustic music, what open headphone in the $100-150 price range would you recommend? Im thinking something like the hd558???

May 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #27,968 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

For classic rock, blues and acoustic music, what open headphone in the $100-150 price range would you recommend? Im thinking something like the hd558???

That's a good choice.  I also like the Grado SR 125i--another flavor of ice cream.

May 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #27,969 of 29,490
Quote:
Wait, so you haven't actually heard the cans you adamantly recommended? 
blink.gif

Quote:
Never said I did, but I have done plenty of research as well as comparisons to the pair I have tried (M-80's). Would you like a cookie?

Please don't recommend equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself.

May 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #27,971 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
That's a good choice.  I also like the Grado SR 125i--another flavor of ice cream.

Thanks for the reply? What about the hd558s did you like??? Also, if you did the mod, how did it improve the sound?

The HD 558 is a good all arrounder.  It does most everything, except emphasized bass, well in the context of its price class.  Of course I got mine before the Senn MAP--so it was a very good deal back then.

I never did the mod.  I also have the HD 598, so I saw little point in making the 558 a knock of of it.  Plus, I did not want to invalidate my warranty.

May 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #27,972 of 29,490
Have about 1500 to spend. I am definitely looking at the HD800s. I use a Denon 2112CI receiver with good inputs and power. Some people seem to comment on the upper range of this headphone. Are these mostly people who like their music toned down a tad at the upper end?  I just want some damn fine headphones with a nice soundstage.

I have some Etymotics and Beyer DT1350s atm and they are both good but want that next step in soundstage and design. A little realistic treble doesn't really scare me unless the bass is super weak. If the bass is as decent or better in the sub-regions as my DT1350s, which can pound some decent bass at 20Hz for small drivers with my amp, then I'd probably be good.

Does anybody think they will be replacing these as it seems all a replacement would really do is sound slightly different at this point?

May 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #27,973 of 29,490
Quote:
Have about 1500 to spend. I am definitely looking at the HD800s. I use a Denon 2112CI receiver with good inputs and power. Some people seem to comment on the upper range of this headphone. Are these mostly people who like their music toned down a tad at the upper end?  I just want some damn fine headphones with a nice soundstage.

I have some Etymotics and Beyer DT1350s atm and they are both good but want that next step in soundstage and design. A little realistic treble doesn't really scare me unless the bass is super weak. If the bass is as decent or better in the sub-regions as my DT1350s, which can pound some decent bass at 20Hz for small drivers with my amp, then I'd probably be good.

Does anybody think they will be replacing these as it seems all a replacement would really do is sound slightly different at this point?

You need to post this in the Summit-Fi section of the forum--as I understand that you are interested in cans priced north of $1,000.

May 1, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #27,974 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

After consideration in my previous posts (budget and brand wise) I decided to go for the Audio Technica headphones. As I explained I can't get the much appreciated AD700 because in Bulgaria they cost 250 USD. So, I am between the below models:

ATH-M30
ATH-T500
ATH-AD300

They have 10-20 dollars difference in the price over here. the AD300 being the most expensive. Nevertheless, I am leaning more towards them although they have been discontinued. Althought the M30s have the cool 3.5mm jack with metal before it and a protective wrap around the cord which i find useful. I know that there are not many people around here with these models but I would be grateful for a tip or two regarding which one to choose. I would like to try an open-backed can as I would like to get a little bit of soundstage, since I will be using them for gaming (mainly) and music (not that much since I listen from my speakers more).

As mentioned before I use a DIY headphone amp/dac connected to the PC via USB. I listen to FLAC and 320Kbps.

Thanks in advance.

hey, guys just to bump this post again. i am thinking of getting a antlion modmic - http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic. this thing attaches to any headphone making it perfect for gaming when u need to speak. i read that the quality is also very good. i am worried though that if i go for the on-ear AD300, the noise leak might hit the mic as well.

May 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #27,975 of 29,490

Given ur ety comments maybe take a look at custom iems? CIEM dont have bass probs at summit$$

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-26-reviews-um-pp6-added-3-12-13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back