++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #27,826 of 29,490
I'm new here and I was really considering the CAL! as my first good pair of headphones (currently using Skullcandy).
The CAL! seems to have everything I'm looking for, they are (according to my research, I have no experience :p)
-100$ or less
-Closed+Circumaural
-Warm sound signature, while remaining clear throughout the mids and highs
-Comfortable
-Great Soundstage
-Easy on the eyes :D

However I was wondering a few things like
-How well they work unamped of my hp dv6 laptop
-How durable they are
-And finally, how well they compare to the Citiscape Uptown and M50s (I listen to mainly rap and hip hop)

Thanks for any suggestions! (sorry if this is has been written down somewhere else)

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #27,827 of 29,490
Quote:
The SRH440 isnt a terrible way to go. The venerable MDR-V6 and CAL! are ones you should probably check out as well. Every single one of these have cords that give you some slight portability issues, but it can be managed. Stay far far away from the HD280.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the CAL now, but I'll also look into the MDR-V6 and the Schure. Any thoughts on the Senn PX 200-II? I'm only thinking about them because they seem more compact than these three.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #27,830 of 29,490
Quote:
Personally, I've used Phillips' earbuds before and I didn't have a very pleasant experience. I don't find them up to the mark in terms of after sales services (At least in my country). I'll consider JVC HA-S400 though. Thanks! :)
Btw, check my previous reply, I have short listed some headphones but am not sure which one to pick. :|

Of the cans mentioned in your messages, I have the CAL!, the Cityscape Downtown, and the HA-S400.  I also have the Sennheiser HD-238.  If the HD-239 is similar, it is an open design, and it would not work well for use on public transportation.  Tyll Hertsens has it on his wall of fame as an excellent office phone.  I find the CAL! to have the best sound of all three (and better sound than even the open Sennheiser HD-238), but also to be the least portable: long cable, least isolation, and possibly most fragile construction.  The Cityscape Downtown is designed for use, well, downtown in a city.  It has excellent isolation and good sound.  Unfortunately, only you can decide whether it has the balance of convenience and sound that you can accept. I can only tell you that is my go-to can for travel use.  If you can afford the CAL! and will use your can mostly inside or on quiet walks, that would be a great choice.  The HA-S400 will give you the best efficiency and sound that is more intimate and mid-centric than the CAL!'s, with more detail and dynamic contrast than the Cityscape Downtown. The Cityscape Downtown is also, to me, very comfortable and has a microphone for your cellphone.  In the U.S. at least, the CAL! is also more expensive than the Cityscape Downtown and the HA-S400.  Good luck on your choice!

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #27,832 of 29,490
Can anyone help me with deciding what headset to buy? I mainly listen to rock/metal. I would prefer an over-ear design and one who does not have to be with an amp to work well. Any price. Thanks

What's your budget?
Where/how do you plan on using these can?
What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #27,833 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
It's good for a closed can in its price range.  It's inferior to quality open cans tho buy at cost about $100.  If you want good sound stage anywhere close to your budget, you have to get an open or semi-open can.

Do you know any good semi-open cans that cost about $80 and are just as good as the CAL! if not better?

No--absent a closeout sale.

In fact I don't know any can better than the CAL! at that price, unless there are very specific factors that the CAL! will not satisfy.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #27,834 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on 2 quick searches, the Denon AH-D1001 (which is the same Fostex made can as the CAL) is selling for $130 on ebay from Italy, or $200 on Amazon (again, only 1 seller since they're discontinued), I'd put the value somewhere in the middle.

So they're worth $165... Hmm, that's a really good purchase for €65,- ($85) than!

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #27,835 of 29,490
Hello, I would like some assistance finding a new headset. This is my first time looking for a quality headset, so some of the specifics are new to me. Most of the time I would just get a random $30 headset from a random store.

Basically, I am looking for something with a closed back and good noise cancellation. I travel on the bus to work, so I would like to block out that noise, and not annoy other passengers with my music. I wear glasses, the arms are small and thin, so something that fits good while wearing glasses would be ideal. 

I also would like something with a very durable cord, especially by the jack, which is where my previous headsets would break at, as I do a good amount of walking.

I will be using a 5th gen Ipod (Model: A1136 EMC: 2065) for all of my music and an occasional audio book. I listen to a number of different music genres, mostly death metal (Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, Amon Amarth), Symphonic Metal (Epica, After Forever, Therion), Ska (Leningrad) Metal/Heavy (King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, HammerFall) among other things.

The format/bit rate of the music is a bit of a mess, mostly mp3 at 96 to 360 kbps; I have not really bothered with format/bit rate up until now.

I do not have an amplifier, but if one is recommended, I may consider getting one.

My budget is a little up in the air at the moment, but I probably would not want to go over $400 USD.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #27,836 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I would like some assistance finding a new headset. This is my first time looking for a quality headset, so some of the specifics are new to me. Most of the time I would just get a random $30 headset from a random store.

Basically, I am looking for something with a closed back and good noise cancellation. I travel on the bus to work, so I would like to block out that noise, and not annoy other passengers with my music. I wear glasses, the arms are small and thin, so something that fits good while wearing glasses would be ideal. 

I also would like something with a very durable cord, especially by the jack, which is where my previous headsets would break at, as I do a good amount of walking.

I will be using a 5th gen Ipod (Model: A1136 EMC: 2065) for all of my music and an occasional audio book. I listen to a number of different music genres, mostly death metal (Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, Amon Amarth), Symphonic Metal (Epica, After Forever, Therion), Ska (Leningrad) Metal/Heavy (King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, HammerFall) among other things.

The format/bit rate of the music is a bit of a mess, mostly mp3 at 96 to 360 kbps; I have not really bothered with format/bit rate up until now.

I do not have an amplifier, but if one is recommended, I may consider getting one.

My budget is a little up in the air at the moment, but I probably would not want to go over $400 USD.

Welcome! So you're looking for a closed-back headphone that is portable. Your budget covers a lot of ground and the usual suspects show up here.
  1. Sennheiser Momentum
  2. V-Moda Crossfade M100
  3. Sony MDR-1R
  4. Logitech UE 6000

All of these are extremely efficient and are designed to sound great without an amp, which will help you remain portable. All of these have also shown up on InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame, so that helps vouch for them. Check out their reviews for more info. My personal recommendation is the MDR-1R as it works well with all genres and is the most comfortable of the group by far for me, but you should try all of them out to see what fits you better.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #27,837 of 29,490
What's your budget?
Where/how do you plan on using these can?
What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

Under 500$ budget
I will probaly use Them in an idevice.
Closed cans prefferably
Listen to rock/metal, i dont know the bit/format rate
No amp

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #27,838 of 29,490
I am reposting because I am looking for a good pair of high-impedance headphones....so I figured out high impedance = full size headphones. Current pair is only 32 ohm seinnheiser PX200. Yes low impedance but really pretty clear & good for the price & durability. It wont break! Any headphones with over 100 ohm and wide frequency like at least 10-30000? Must it have large output power too like 500 to 1000? How about db...what is that?

I went to headphone store and was recommend AKG HD 272 or 242.
With cheap fiio  amp quality is sooooo different an crystal clear....just a bit lack of bass,punch and clarity loudness like sein 200 PX but good!
What do you guys think? Or should I hit on other brands' studio headphones?
Salesman told me not to get headphones for mixing and Dj-ing type as the range is pretty flat.
Located in Singapore.
Budget is USD 200 to 250 hopefully.

Usage is only for appreciating original recording's music with a loud clear vocals,music effects & original soundstage.
For travelling purpose too but not when walking under the sun.

Also, for high impedance headphones, what kind of amp should I be getting? I hope not to get bulky amp due to frequent usage and moving around. Any thread can recommend me?

AKG, seinheiser, Sony, Bose which is good?
I was very tempted to get ultrasone but I think the frequency & impedance rate is pretty much like my current can.
Help please ^____^ Appreciated Thanks!

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #27,839 of 29,490
Music genre I listen to: Soft rock, Jpop, Acoustic,Hip-hop/R&B
Considering to get Sony Xperia . But still listening to my portable CD walkman so may or may not sell off my CDs.
Reason: Either there's something wrong with my Samsung MP3 smartphone or the music is just not good enough!
Must I get an AMP? But I am so fussy wiith the specs haha I dont know what to do.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #27,840 of 29,490
Hey guys, i'm looking around for a pair of headphones with alot of emphasis on the soundstage and clarity, and would prefer it be an open headphone. The budget is under or around 80$. It would be also really nice if these were mobile, but not a requirment.
Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back