++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #27,346 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The more balanced CAL! is superior to the M50.  If you want more bass at the expense of recessed mids and a less balanced sound signature, go with the M50.

Within your budget, you can get a different sound signature from the CAL!, but you will essentially be going sideways in sound quality.  My advice is to either increase your budget or keep what you have until you can.

If i increase my budget what would you recommend me?

That depends on the amount of increase.

BTW--if you are looking for bass heavy cans, I am not the person to provide you with a recommendation.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #27,348 of 29,490
Hey, which should I pick out of these?

Sony MDR-V6

Superlux HD668B

JVC HA-S500

Audio Technica ATH-M50 (taking into account this is one is probably beyond my price range anyway)

I'll be running them unamped off my iPod Classic, and I'm looking for a clear, neutral sound which can handle a multitude of genres ranging between post-hardcore, shoegaze, hip hop, UK Garage, dark ambient, dubstep, post rock, indie, etc. Alongside sound quality, the other main thing I'm looking for is a strong build quality. So far the Sonys seem to be the best choice but I wasn't sure how they sound in terms of clarity, atmosphere and depth and how they sound compared to the others. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere local I can go to to test these out myself.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #27,349 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi-ers!

I've been spending endless hours reading reviews and other forum posts, but haven't managed to decide on anything yet. I could really use some guidance!

For my 30th birthday I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones (plus perhaps required equipment) for home listening. My budget is up to $1,000, but flexible. I will be mostly listening to music at my desk from a computer, where I have no other audio equipment. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR XD-100 cans, but their pads are crumbling and I'd like to upgrade! I have a good ear and am sure I will enjoy higher quality sound.

* I have room on the desk for one or two pieces of equipment (e.g. an amp), nothing too large. I'd love recommendations for a set of equipment that would work well together at the vicinity of my budget.
* I listen mostly to progressive rock from the 60's and 70's, such as King Crimson, Yes and Camel. Also various other typs of music, including modern electrical music and classical music.
* I like detail. I dislike heavy bass and shrill highs.
* I live in Israel, so esoteric equipment can be harder to get. My father will be returning from a trip to the US in about a month, so I can have him bring stuff with him, as long as it isn't too large, heavy or fragile.
* I also sometimes use headphones when viewing movies in the living room, and need a long cable for this, at least 7-8 feet. Being able to use the headphones for this would be a plus.

Kind regards!

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #27,350 of 29,490
Quote:

Sony MDR-V6

Superlux HD668B

JVC HA-S500

Audio Technica ATH-M50 (taking into account this is one is probably beyond my price range anyway)

I'll be running them unamped off my iPod Classic, and I'm looking for a clear, neutral sound which can handle a multitude of genres ranging between post-hardcore, shoegaze, hip hop, UK Garage, dark ambient, dubstep, post rock, indie, etc. Alongside sound quality, the other main thing I'm looking for is a strong build quality. So far the Sonys seem to be the best choice but I wasn't sure how they sound in terms of clarity, atmosphere and depth and how they sound compared to the others. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere local I can go to to test these out myself.

For my money in that price range, nothing beats a good old fashion V6.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #27,351 of 29,490
Hi all new here :) , I am currently looking for some new headphones to upgrade from the AD700. I mainly listen to rock/metal etc but also wear them sometimes for movies and games the most i want too spend is around 400-500 dollars range, so far i have my eye on the HE-400 or the AD900X. If needed to i will buy an DAC/Amp later :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #27,352 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi-ers!

I've been spending endless hours reading reviews and other forum posts, but haven't managed to decide on anything yet. I could really use some guidance!

For my 30th birthday I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones (plus perhaps required equipment) for home listening. My budget is up to $1,000, but flexible. I will be mostly listening to music at my desk from a computer, where I have no other audio equipment. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR XD-100 cans, but their pads are crumbling and I'd like to upgrade! I have a good ear and am sure I will enjoy higher quality sound.

* I have room on the desk for one or two pieces of equipment (e.g. an amp), nothing too large. I'd love recommendations for a set of equipment that would work well together at the vicinity of my budget.
* I listen mostly to progressive rock from the 60's and 70's, such as King Crimson, Yes and Camel. Also various other typs of music, including modern electrical music and classical music.
* I live in Israel, so esoteric equipment can be harder to get. My father will be returning from a trip to the US in about a month, so I can have him bring stuff with him, as long as it isn't too large, heavy or fragile.
* I also sometimes use headphones when viewing movies in the living room, and need a long cable for this, at least 7-8 feet. Being able to use the headphones for this would be a plus.

Kind regards!

That's a nice budget to for a first setup. I'd recommend putting most of that towards a headphone and getting a HE-500 ($700) and an NFB-15.32 (about $260 shipped) or similar dac/amp combo.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #27,353 of 29,490
Guys,

A Sennheiser HD700 for movies and music (hip-hop, rap, instrumental, jazz) it is a good option?

I like bass on musics, and i want a good fidelity in effects reproduction...

I never heard the HD700, but a friend came with one of them by half-price of market

I think could be a good option.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #27,354 of 29,490
Quote:
@KG JAG: Do you have another advice for me? I like the shr840 and trying to find more cans

The 840 is a nice can.  It folds up and has a removable cable.  However, in terns of sound quality, it is not enough above the CAL! to justify the money spent.

In terms of sound quality, your next level will include Shure SRH 940, AKG Q701, Audio Technica ATH-AD900, DT 880 Pro, Grado SR 225i and Senn HD 558 & 598.  That is not to say that each of these will meet your needs or requirements

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #27,355 of 29,490
Quote:

Sony MDR-V6

Superlux HD668B

JVC HA-S500

I agree with a selection of the Sony, but would go with either the very efficient MDR-7510 or cheaper but less efficient (test it with your iPod first) MDR-7506.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #27,356 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi-ers!

Kind regards!

That's a nice budget to for a first setup. I'd recommend putting most of that towards a headphone and getting a HE-500 ($700) and an NFB-15.32 (about $260 shipped) or similar dac/amp combo.

Not a bad start.  Complete it by throwing in a Mogami Gold EXT 10 Headphone Extension Cable or something similar.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #27,357 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all new here :) , I am currently looking for some new headphones to upgrade from the AD700. I mainly listen to rock/metal etc but also wear them sometimes for movies and games the most i want too spend is around 400-500 dollars range, so far i have my eye on the HE-400 or the AD900X. If needed to i will buy an DAC/Amp later :)

The ortho HE 400 has a sensitivity rating of 92.5 dB--so I wouldn't buy it without a decent amp.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #27,358 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys,

A Sennheiser HD700 for movies and music (hip-hop, rap, instrumental, jazz) it is a good option?

I like bass on musics, and i want a good fidelity in effects reproduction...

I never heard the HD700, but a friend came with one of them by half-price of market

I think could be a good option.

It's often viewed as the black sheep of the Senn family.  Maybe this will help you decide:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HD700

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #27,359 of 29,490
[size=12pt]Hi Head-Fi Community,[/size]

[size=12.0pt]I’m Ken, 29 years old, from Manila, Philippines. I’m new here and I’m a Headphone/Earphone newbie; I wish I could spend more time to learn more about them because I am very passionate about music (& guitars too [/size][size=12.0pt]J[/size][size=12.0pt]), but I simply don’t have the time/resources for now.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]So I need your advice on my first set of decent Headphones/Earphones that I will be getting ASAP.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I bought my first (decent?) Headphone last year on Amazon, it’s an AKG K540 ($105+shipping), and unfortunately, within 4 months, it already needs repair. The headphone arc(?) snapped and split due to the thinness, brittleness of the plastic and my constant use. Since I’m in the Philippines, it’s hard to get a repair/replacement and the local AKG Distributor says there’s no international warranty and they can’t repair it (could you also recommend repair options?).[/size]
[size=12.0pt]So, I’m planning to buy 3 “New” (or “Used”) Head/Earphones ASAP:[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) Headphone ($200 price max) – this will be my main. Home and Office use.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) In-Earphone ($100 price max) – will be used for travel/commute/outdoors. It's hot here and difficult to commute so I guess In-ear is cooler, lighter, and more durable for travel/outdoors.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) Sports In-Earphone ($100 price max) – I want to start being healthy this year [/size][size=12.0pt]J[/size][size=12.0pt].[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I listen mostly to Progressive Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X), Guitar Instrumentals (Marco Sfogli, Andy James), Blues Rock (Led Zep, Joe Bonamassa), Melodic Hard Rock (Mr. Big, Journey), and Motion Picture/Epic Music (Hans Zimmer etc…) to name a few of my genre and taste.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Could you please recommend me what you think are the best HP/EP for my price range and preferences? I’m a serious music/audio listener but that’s what I can afford considering my location and work. Where I’m from, it’s hard to test due to the limited options/stocks; let alone buy one because the prices are inflated ridiculously – that’s why I chose to buy online but risk the repair and warranty.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I’m looking for:[/size]
[size=12.0pt]1.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Audio Quality[/size]
[size=12.0pt]2.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Comfort[/size]
[size=12.0pt]3.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Durability[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I could go for recommendations beyond my price range above, but I think if it’s too expensive, I may have to buy in “Used” condition. Do you recommend buying “Used”?[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I have a friend whose business is shipping from the US to Phil so I have no problems buying online from the US since I get discounts from her.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I really appreciate your taking the time to help, and make the audiophile community a better world.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Thanks for your time and help.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Sincerely,[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Ken[/size]

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #27,360 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=12pt]Hi Head-Fi Community,[/size]

[size=12.0pt]I’m Ken, 29 years old, from Manila, Philippines. I’m new here and I’m a Headphone/Earphone newbie; I wish I could spend more time to learn more about them because I am very passionate about music (& guitars too [/size][size=12.0pt]J[/size][size=12.0pt]), but I simply don’t have the time/resources for now.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]So I need your advice on my first set of decent Headphones/Earphones that I will be getting ASAP.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I bought my first (decent?) Headphone last year on Amazon, it’s an AKG K540 ($105+shipping), and unfortunately, within 4 months, it already needs repair. The headphone arc(?) snapped and split due to the thinness, brittleness of the plastic and my constant use. Since I’m in the Philippines, it’s hard to get a repair/replacement and the local AKG Distributor says there’s no international warranty and they can’t repair it (could you also recommend repair options?).[/size]
[size=12.0pt]So, I’m planning to buy 3 “New” (or “Used”) Head/Earphones ASAP:[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) Headphone ($200 price max) – this will be my main. Home and Office use.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) In-Earphone ($100 price max) – will be used for travel/commute/outdoors. It's hot here and difficult to commute so I guess In-ear is cooler, lighter, and more durable for travel/outdoors.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]·         [/size][size=12.0pt]1 (one) Sports In-Earphone ($100 price max) – I want to start being healthy this year [/size][size=12.0pt]J[/size][size=12.0pt].[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I listen mostly to Progressive Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X), Guitar Instrumentals (Marco Sfogli, Andy James), Blues Rock (Led Zep, Joe Bonamassa), Melodic Hard Rock (Mr. Big, Journey), and Motion Picture/Epic Music (Hans Zimmer etc…) to name a few of my genre and taste.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Could you please recommend me what you think are the best HP/EP for my price range and preferences? I’m a serious music/audio listener but that’s what I can afford considering my location and work. Where I’m from, it’s hard to test due to the limited options/stocks; let alone buy one because the prices are inflated ridiculously – that’s why I chose to buy online but risk the repair and warranty.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I’m looking for:[/size]
[size=12.0pt]1.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Audio Quality[/size]
[size=12.0pt]2.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Comfort[/size]
[size=12.0pt]3.      [/size][size=12.0pt]Durability[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I could go for recommendations beyond my price range above, but I think if it’s too expensive, I may have to buy in “Used” condition. Do you recommend buying “Used”?[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I have a friend whose business is shipping from the US to Phil so I have no problems buying online from the US since I get discounts from her.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I really appreciate your taking the time to help, and make the audiophile community a better world.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Thanks for your time and help.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Sincerely,[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Ken[/size]

With regard to your home headphone:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

With regard to the two IEM's:

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back