++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #27,361 of 29,490
Hi KG Jag,

Thanks for your reply! For my main (Home & Office) Headphone, I'm looking for:
  1. a Closed one.
  2. No amp will be used (for now 
    smily_headphones1.gif
    ; I will buy sometime Q3).
  3. Formats will be mainly MP3 (320kbps) and some FLACS.
  4. I listen mostly to my iPod, iPad and PC. I don't have a stereo system.
  5. I don't know how to explain the sound signature I'm looking for, but I want a good headphone (first of many 
    smily_headphones1.gif
    ) for Rock and Metal music.

I hope this helps you help me. :)

Newbie mistake on the IEM questions :); I will post them on the IEM Forum.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #27,362 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi KG Jag,

Thanks for your reply! For my main (Home & Office) Headphone, I'm looking for:
  1. a Closed one.
  2. No amp will be used (for now 
    smily_headphones1.gif
    ; I will buy sometime Q3).
  3. Formats will be mainly MP3 (320kbps) and some FLACS.
  4. I listen mostly to my iPod, iPad and PC. I don't have a stereo system.
  5. I don't know how to explain the sound signature I'm looking for, but I want a good headphone (first of many 
    smily_headphones1.gif
    ) for Rock and Metal music.

I hope this helps you help me. :)

Newbie mistake on the IEM questions :); I will post them on the IEM Forum.

Thanks.

Based on U.S. pricing--and no amp, consider the KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH 840, Logitech UE 6000, Sony MDR-7510 & MDR-V900HD.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #27,365 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on U.S. pricing--and no amp, consider the KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH 840, Logitech UE 6000, Sony MDR-7510 & MDR-V900HD.

Thanks for your time and help KG Jag! I'm getting both the Shure SRH840 and the KRK KNS84000! 
dt880smile.png
 I just called my local Shure distributor and they have it here for almost the same price (promo) online. I got the KRK on Amazon.

Looking forward to a great experience and more sonic adventures/explorations with the help from the good people of HeadFIdotOrg. 
beerchug.gif

Cheers,
Ken

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #27,366 of 29,490
That's a nice budget to for a first setup. I'd recommend putting most of that towards a headphone and getting a HE-500 ($700) and an NFB-15.32 (about $260 shipped) or similar dac/amp combo.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the recommendation!

Reading up a bit on the HE-500, I see some very enthusiastic reviews, and they sound like something I'd like. Thanks for the pointer!

I see that their impedance is relatively low, 38 Ohms. Is that made up for by high sensitivity? And does this mean that they can be driven reasonably well by a portable device (e.g. a MacBook Pro)?

Regarding DACs and amps, I could use some alternate recommendations, since what you recommend seems harder to find, especially here in Israel. Also, I read that the NFB-15.32 heats up considerably; it gets quite hot here during the summer, could that be a problem?

Thanks again!

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #27,367 of 29,490
Not a bad start.  Complete it by throwing in a Mogami Gold EXT 10 Headphone Extension Cable or something similar.

Ouch, that's a $100 cable! And at 25 feet, it's about twice as long as I need it to be. Finally, this (just the cable) won't be used for music listening, so quality doesn't have to be top-notch.

Any chance of a recommendation for a shorter, much cheaper, extension cable?

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #27,368 of 29,490
Um.... guys.......nice to meet all of you.......

well, I've got a really good question that I wanted to ask from you all, that is which headphones do you like by comparing these?? @@

1) Parrot Zik ( heard that if you would adjust the equalizer from the app, these will sound a lot better)

2) Sony MDR-1RBT

3) Logitech UE 9000

I would be glad if anyone can share some experiences as I would like to choose one of these

Thank You For Your Cooperation Guys!!!
etysmile.gif

1) Well, my budget i think the most is Parrot Zik ( cause It costs about RM1599 in my country and that's quite a lot of money)

2) well, I like to use these cans whenever I went out like strolling around the park, going to malls, and walking around before going into my college class xD

3) isolation?? well, I would prefer closed?? if it is meaning like over-the-ear headphones, I would like that

4) well, as I'm asian and also a college student, most I would hear is like j-pop,k-pop and also some of the newer english songs like exp, maroon 5, the wanted, one direction,backstreet boys.......but once in a while, classic pop and classical music from orchastra is also nice :) .........mp3/mp4?? @@

5) well, most of the time I would be using my SGS lll , and a couple of times from my old sony mp3 player.....amp?? I dont know much about them @@

6) signature?? not really sure what you mean @@

I know a lot of people likes wired headphones more, but for me, whenever i used wired ones, I would always entangled it or just press it due to my strap and I dont feel quite comfortable, so I would like to have wireless, even if it would sacrifice some quality >.<

I'm also open for suggestions to other bluetooth over-the-ear headphones that is the same or less than the price range from the parrot ziks

Have A Nice Day
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #27,370 of 29,490
Quote:
Ouch, that's a $100 cable! And at 25 feet, it's about twice as long as I need it to be. Finally, this (just the cable) won't be used for music listening, so quality doesn't have to be top-notch.

Any chance of a recommendation for a shorter, much cheaper, extension cable?

Check Monoprice or Radio Shack.

That or DIY one and get the exact length you want.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #27,371 of 29,490
Between ATH-M50 and DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) what headphone would you recommend me, to use on a pc to listen to the music and play videogames? Also, at the moment i have not an amp and i don't know when/if i'll buy it! Thanks a lot :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #27,372 of 29,490
DT770 would be my recommendation.  I demo'd both when I was looking for my first decent pair of headphones.

It won't run perfectly without an amp, but it will still sound good.  Couple it with a Xonar DG/DGX for your PC and you'd be great.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #27,375 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
That's a nice budget to for a first setup. I'd recommend putting most of that towards a headphone and getting a HE-500 ($700) and an NFB-15.32 (about $260 shipped) or similar dac/amp combo.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the recommendation!

Reading up a bit on the HE-500, I see some very enthusiastic reviews, and they sound like something I'd like. Thanks for the pointer!

I see that their impedance is relatively low, 38 Ohms. Is that made up for by high sensitivity? And does this mean that they can be driven reasonably well by a portable device (e.g. a MacBook Pro)?

To the contrary, the HE 500 is an ortho with very low sensitivity, rated at 89 dB.  An amp with some decent power is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back