++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #26,791 of 29,490
Quote:
Im torn between the Beyerdynamic DT770's, leaning towards the 80 ohm version of the 3 variants, and the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700mk2's for my uses;

Mixing live, danceable types of rock and metal + dubstep and related kinds of electronic music, as well as gaming, game audio mixing, and all around music enjoyment. As far as genre's/artists it boils down to people like buckethead, steve vai, satriani, john 5, eric johnson, Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, and techno like prodigy. 

Im very much leaning towards the ath-pro700mk2's for the DJ construction, removable cable, strong bass emphasis as well as clear mids and highs, as well as for the foldability/portability of them. I also like the high input poweer of the AT's, compared to the beyers.

Im looking at the beyers for the SQ and flat signature, and wide stage, but am discerned for the loose/laidback (not to be confused with lazy or bad) construction, the lack of removable cables and foldability, and the high impedance/isolation compared to the ATs.

Would anything be wrong with the AT's for what Im using them for?

The Beyers are much more comfortable, scale higher, but are not as portable. Do you prefer the boosted bass on the Pro700MK2? Both have more bass than neutral, but I think you would find the Beyers to be cleaner sounding (better instrument separation and transient speed).

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #26,792 of 29,490
Quote:

The Beyers are much more comfortable, scale higher, but are not as portable. Do you prefer the boosted bass on the Pro700MK2? Both have more bass than neutral, but I think you would find the Beyers to be cleaner sounding (better instrument separation and transient speed).

I do mildly prefer the boosted bass of the AT's, but the main thing attracting me to them is the difference in foldability, construction strength (how well they will last with a lot of wearing around the neck + mobile use) and volume conditions (isolation, impedance, max input power and sensitivity) and I dont mind trading the slightly less clean sound of the AT's for those benefits, if they are considerable over the beyers. Thanks for the insight!

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #26,793 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm really new to this and would need advice on how to progress.

this is my current set up: 
redface.gif

source: sansa clip zip (rock boxed) all flac files and a few 320 kbps

headphones: brainwavz hm3

amp: n/a

I'm getting a jvc ha-s500 in a week or two since they're cheap and i would like to compare the sq with my hm3 which i bought just a month ago. Anyways I have planned to do big upgrades (up to 500-700 $) at least every six months (it depends). I think this would allow me to enjoy what I buy without being stressed financially. 

I'm after the sound quality first and foremost, and I'm willing to compromise with isolation, portability,comfort and price to an extent. I can bear with a few discomforts as long as it does not cause outright pain. I don't mind not being able to use it outside in a crowd of people and need to just sit down as long as the sq is good.

Should I go for headphones? start it slow with an ath-m50, senn momentum or hd 25-i, akg k181 dj, brainwavz m5, m-80 or charge through with an hd 600 with a decent amp? These are all the phones I know for the moment so if anyone has other suggestions, I can do my research and it would help me make decisions.

Or should I find a better source player or an amp?

note: as for the budget though it's 500-700 i am still a very pragmatic person and would think twice about buying a lot of gear just to fit 700$. But I can make up to 100$ in between if I feel they're really good(hyped) stuff like the jvc ha-s500.

My music preferences: Opeth, Agalloch,Cynic, Gordian Knot, Symphony X, Dream theater,Ayreon, Pain of Salvation,Porcupine Tree,Riverside, LunaticSoul, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mono, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Yndi Halda, Kayo Dot, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Talk Talk, In The Woods, Ulver, Disillusion, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Blind Guardian, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Bark Psychosis, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk, Ash ra Tempel, The Samuel Jackson Five, Maybe She Will, Sphongle, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Quintessence, Negura Bunget, Enslaved, Orphaned Land, Johnny Cash, Tennesse Ernie Ford, Sarah Mclachlan, Cranberries, Everything But The Girl, Ephel Duath, Atheist, Augury, Nightwish and Korpiklaani.

Thank you very much I'm very happy to have discovered this community. :)

How portable does your rig need to be? $700 can buy an DT-880, HD 600, or HE-400 with a respectable desktop dac/amp combo. Those are a tier above the closed portables you mentioned in SQ.

If you're using the entire budget, I'd probably recommend a decent, low impedance headphone or iem for use with your Clip Zip and a separate rig for home use to get the most of your money. I started out with a Clip+ and TF10 and then bought an HD 580 and Audio GD NFB-12 for home use. Total cost = $550.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #26,794 of 29,490

I reposted this from a different thread I started. Didn't know this one was available.

Hope you can help me narrow down my potential picks as well as refine my thoughts. I'm a student so noise cancellation (active or passive) and minimal leakage are of importance. I also appreciate bass, but I'm not a basshead. Currently I have a set of TripleFi 10's that I'm in love with; they're damn near perfect. With a set of Comply tips I can't hear anything, even without music. (Note: This may hinder my choice because the TF10 is my isolation point of reference [near absolute]) Music is everything, alternative, rock, acoustic. Main artists are Dave Matthews, Umphrey's McGee, Jack's Mannequin, Big Gigantic, Marley, Glitch Mob, Kings of Leon, etc. In particular I love live albums. I need to feel Carter's drums in DMB @ Red Rocks '95!

I did quite a bit of research of the go-to $150 to $350 phones. I demo'd the UE 6000s from an Apple store because I like Ultimate Ears and they were spoken highly of by Tyll at Innerfidelity. I thought they were very, very nice. Good amount of bass (if not too much) but I thought it was refined and well managed. They just sounded 'right.' However, the drawbacks were the noise cancellation and leakage. I'm new at this, so it's all relative to me but I found both the active and passive NC to be very poor. Flipping the switch seemed to do little. Again, this is relative to in-ears and the QC15s that I tried at the (loud) Apple store; IEMs will always be quieter and my HW has shown me that Bose is the best in active NC. 

On a whim I also tried the Bose AE2i's at the store as well and was impressed. Great passive cancelling, very comfy, and they sounded great to my ears. I also tried the MDR1R at the Sony store and was stoked. Better noise cancelling than the UE6000s and similarly punchy.

Currently I am considering going back to the UE 6000s because they sounded good to me, and their sound quality is worth the $20 upcharge from the AE2i's. Maybe I'm asking too much in the leakage category. I have realized that I can probably live with it, though I dislike having to crank up the volume to get the loudness I like at which point they leak. An amp might be on the horizon. (I run my music out of either a desktop PC or an iPhone 4S, which I've heard is decently powerful compared to other mobile devices)

So, given my tastes and thought processes, what might you guys recommend? Stick with what I know I like? Preferably available from Headroom, or somewhere that allows demoing sans restock fees. I think I've narrowed it down to the UE6000 and the MDR1R.

Thanks,

Mat 

EDIT: I'm also considering the ATH-M50 and their noise cancelling equivalents because everyone from Cnet to Tyll to Amazon raves about their performance and value.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #26,795 of 29,490
@steve2151

I don't mind portability. Usually the songs I listen are quite long (about 8-20 mins average) so I prefer settling down and absorbing everything. I'll probably gonna get a cheapo iem for jogging / running. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look them up and find out what's best.

Also any more suggestions, advice is appreciated. 
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #26,796 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi would you please help me choose between the Audez'e LCD-2,Sennheiser hd 800 or the Hifiman HE-500.For Jazz,Soul,R&B,Blues.Thanks!

It depends on what sound signature you prefer.  The Senn is the best overall.  However, those who seek a darker sound and/or find the Senn to be too bright will prefer the LCD-2.

The HE-500 remains the best value.  At less than half the price of the Senn, some would prefer it over the LCD-2 because it is more neutral.  It's just not as good as the Senn.

Read about all three here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #26,797 of 29,490
Quote:
Im looking for new headphones again, it seems. For starters;

I started with AKG k271 mkii's and the right side went out, so I returned them. I really liked the accurate mids, the band comfort and the velour pads, and although good, they could have had better isolation.

Aftterwards, I went with Ultrasone HFI-780's after hearing about the construction, soundstage and SQ from reviews around here, and although really crystal, the bass was a tad bit muddier and the mids slightly more recessed than the AKG's. Now the left cup has gone out on them so Im retiring them as a home or other use phone after warrantying them. I also, despite other reviews, didnt mind the clamping force. It was noticeable when I got them for a few days, but the issue was gone after, although the band materials made them a bit slippery (I have long hair and intend to keep it).

Anyway, the main points Im looking for;

Accurate frequency response, most importantly in low frequencies. I dont want 1-note thumps, but distinct tones like I got from the AKG's. Big bonus if its not recessed as much as the AKG's however. Very sturdy, near DJ-quality construction is a big thing with me, and removable cables is good. Im also starting to side with cabling going to both cups separately, vs having a single side cable like both the AKG's and Ultrasone's. I also, if you couldnt tell, need closed back for the isolation. I already have a good pair of IEM's.

Price range is around 200, amazon with prime a big benefit, plus if I can warranty them through amazon cheaply. Some of my considerations;

P.S. What I get will be driven nearly exclusively through a Fiio e07k and 

FWIW, the music I typically listen to is the majority of what Buckethead performs, John 5, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert. These will also be used to mix when I record live performances; rock, dubstep, grunge, metal, danceable types of music

Fischer Audio FA-003 except for the max input power and lack of availability from retailors I trust.
Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm; easy to drive, neutral, bass emphasis and accurate, velour pads and good isolation. Just not sure on the construction
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 mk2; for the high input power, DJ construction, removable cables. Not sure based on bass, it may be too much from what I read in reviews, but relative to the AKG's and Ultrasone's, it may well be right what I need. Any input on this one?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated in advance

Ultrasone Pro 750, if you Fiio will drive them properly.

The DT 770, although big and very durable, has very recessed mids.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #26,798 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I listen to a lot of metal music, would prefer a closed headphone that does not require an amplifier. My budget is $200 anyone have some reccomendations?

You might want to go to a portable can, like the DT 1350--on sale here:

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/closeout-beyerdynamic-dt1350/

or Senn HD 25-1 II or refurbed Senn Amperior.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #26,799 of 29,490
Need a recommendation for a new set of cans. I listen to mostly metal/post-hardcore/rock/acoustic. Will be listening at home with a fiio e07k. I have a DT880 premium 250ohm that I really love, a DT990 pro 250ohm which I like, an HD25-1ii that I really love, and a Custom One Pro which I tolerate. My current iems are GR07 mk2. I guess I just want something different sounding.

Right now I've been thinking of the sr225i or the Q701. My only issue with the 225i is the comfort issue and that I could spend a bit more and get the 325i if they would be that much better. And the Q702 seem like too much of a sidestep from my 880s. I just want something that will have crisp highs, smooth mids maybe a little more upfront than the 880, and a tight punchy bass with good extension.

I'm looking to spend around 300 and preferably off of Amazon. Will go higher for better choices.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #26,800 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm really new to this and would need advice on how to progress.

this is my current set up: 
redface.gif

source: sansa clip zip (rock boxed) all flac files and a few 320 kbps

headphones: brainwavz hm3

amp: n/a

I'm getting a jvc ha-s500 in a week or two since they're cheap and i would like to compare the sq with my hm3 which i bought just a month ago. Anyways I have planned to do big upgrades (up to 500-700 $) at least every six months (it depends). I think this would allow me to enjoy what I buy without being stressed financially. 

I'm after the sound quality first and foremost, and I'm willing to compromise with isolation, portability,comfort and price to an extent. I can bear with a few discomforts as long as it does not cause outright pain. I don't mind not being able to use it outside in a crowd of people and need to just sit down as long as the sq is good.

Should I go for headphones? start it slow with an ath-m50, senn momentum or hd 25-i, akg k181 dj, brainwavz m5, m-80 or charge through with an hd 600 with a decent amp? These are all the phones I know for the moment so if anyone has other suggestions, I can do my research and it would help me make decisions.

Or should I find a better source player or an amp?

note: as for the budget though it's 500-700 i am still a very pragmatic person and would think twice about buying a lot of gear just to fit 700$. But I can make up to 100$ in between if I feel they're really good(hyped) stuff like the jvc ha-s500.

My music preferences: Opeth, Agalloch,Cynic, Gordian Knot, Symphony X, Dream theater,Ayreon, Pain of Salvation,Porcupine Tree,Riverside, LunaticSoul, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mono, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Yndi Halda, Kayo Dot, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Talk Talk, In The Woods, Ulver, Disillusion, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Blind Guardian, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Bark Psychosis, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk, Ash ra Tempel, The Samuel Jackson Five, Maybe She Will, Sphongle, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Quintessence, Negura Bunget, Enslaved, Orphaned Land, Johnny Cash, Tennesse Ernie Ford, Sarah Mclachlan, Cranberries, Everything But The Girl, Ephel Duath, Atheist, Augury, Nightwish and Korpiklaani.

Thank you very much I'm very happy to have discovered this community. :)

If you want to stay portable with not amp, your next step or is to outstanding portable cans like the DT 1350, Senn Amperior, Senn HD 25-1 II or Audio Technica ATHESW9A.  If you like Grado house sound, the efficient Grado RS-2i, RS-1i, PS-500 or Alessandro MS-Pro are worthy.

However, for most other options, I recommend upgrading your base system and adding an amp (or perhaps amp/dac) like the O2 or Asgard 2.

Were I you, my aim would "ultimately" (at least for now) be the HE-500 and an amp like the Asgard 2 solid state or EF-5 hybrid.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #26,801 of 29,490
Quote:

I would, and I do believe my Fiio would drive them, Im just not sure on Ultrasone since Im having customer service issues, and with them breaking this quick in. I really dont abuse them, so Im not sure.

I would really enjoy the 770's if it weren't for the non-SQ shortcomings relative to the AT's; isolation, portability, max input power (not sure if I may have blown out a side or 2 of various hp's from too much power, but I've had more luck in general with headphones that claim higher max power than not) which is why Im really leaning towards the ath-pro700mk2's.

It may be less sonically but I want to know if it would be better taking into consideration the portability, construction, removable plug, (Im guessing) higher input power, higher sensitivity, and higher isolation of the AT's.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #26,802 of 29,490
Hi everyone, I am relatively new here and am looking for some general guidance on which headphones I should purchase.
I currently own the AKG K450's and am looking to upgrade them to something more stylish and something a bit larger. I have been researching for months and still haven't found a set of headphones I am certain that I should buy.  I rather stupidly purchased the V-Moda Crossfades LP as I had heard no poor reviews about them.  I really liked them but when I cranked the volume up over 50%, the sound leakage was appalling, and I returned them.  Here is precisely what I am looking for, and I was wondering if you guys, who are professionals in comparison to me, have any suggestions:
-Upto around £200
-Little noise leakage at volumes of around 70-80%
-Stylish design, that would be wearable in public

I have done a lot of research and these are the headphones that I am currently considering to buy:
V-Moda LP2 (if there is less noise leakage)
AKG K550's
Sol Republic master tracks (I tried the tracks HD's in the apple store and liked them, but I would prefer something a little larger)
Monster Inspirations or Vektr (I know the Beats are AWFUL, but I'm unsure whether these are any good?)

I'm sorry I'm a bit of a headphone noob, but a reply would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #26,803 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I would, and I do believe my Fiio would drive them, Im just not sure on Ultrasone since Im having customer service issues, and with them breaking this quick in. I really dont abuse them, so Im not sure.

I would really enjoy the 770's if it weren't for the non-SQ shortcomings relative to the AT's; isolation, portability, max input power (not sure if I may have blown out a side or 2 of various hp's from too much power, but I've had more luck in general with headphones that claim higher max power than not) which is why Im really leaning towards the ath-pro700mk2's.

It may be less sonically but I want to know if it would be better taking into consideration the portability, construction, removable plug, (Im guessing) higher input power, higher sensitivity, and higher isolation of the AT's.

Except that the 750 is less efficient than the M50, it is superior in every other respect.  It has a removable cable; is more durable; better isolation; superior comfort (with velour pads); is more balanced in terms of sound; and comes in a storage case instead of a bag.  I have three Ultrasones, including the 780 & 750 and have had no problems and have broken none. 

You have mentioned two headphones of yours that have stopped working in a short period of time.  I suspect that that the way you use and treat them might be a factor.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #26,804 of 29,490
I haven't been following this post a lot, but I've got the Ultrasone PRO 750s, and I really like them. They also seem pretty dang well-contructed...so I don't know about breaking them. Maybe you got a defective set or something...

I've also had the Beyer-Dynamic DT 770, and they are super, super comfy and sound pretty good. I do think they are flat compared to the Ultrasones though. The PRO 750s have some of the most realistic sound I've ever heard. You could also try the Ultrasone HFI 780s, they are great too, and pretty cheap for high quality cans.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #26,805 of 29,490
Also, I don't find that I need an amp to drive the PRO 750s. I have a DAC amp on the way, and I'm sure it will improve quality, but they still sound great right out of my laptop, and are definitely loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back