++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #26,776 of 29,490
Quote:
I have not not heard the very expensive W5000.  Unfortunately it has generated reviews like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHW5000

Tyll doesn't like them either.

I was commenting purely on the soundstage. It's the most spacious sound of all the closed cans I've heard.

People dislike the W5000 for other reasons- incohesiveness, lack of treble/bass extension, resonance issues, nasal vocals are all common complaints from its naysayers- but I don't think anyone's ever denied its soundstage.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #26,777 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes--seriously.  I have never heard a sound stage anything like than of the Q 701 (and their K siblings) from a closed can.

Well, I do realize there's no perfect solution since one is open v/s a closed option, I'm simply looking for the closest possible comparison for the few times (generally in public or while traveling) that an open can, much less a HUGE open can is unacceptable or a huge hassle.  

I'm really not trying to argue and say 'oh there's SOMETHING that's exactly the same' so I hope I didn't come across that way.  Maybe if I simply said 'Hey what closed can would you recommend to a fan of the 701 series' and left it at that?

Alternatively to the Fostex query, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at some Etymotics buds, I hear good things about some of their new stuff in relation to the sound characteristics of the 701s.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #26,778 of 29,490
Quote:
Sony slave, I like your name. 

The v6 has it all for one low price. 15+ years of lasting from what my friend saw in a thread. Pretty comfortable to me, though I sweat after extended usage. As monitors, they do their job quite well and can be used for music of all genres.  Some people have said the v55 are a bit clampy. The v600 has a lot more bass than the v6.

Thank you but, I made a typo, I meant to put Sony MDR-ZX600 if this can accurize your assessment.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #26,779 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yes--seriously.  I have never heard a sound stage anything like than of the Q 701 (and their K siblings) from a closed can.

Well, I do realize there's no perfect solution since one is open v/s a closed option, I'm simply looking for the closest possible comparison for the few times (generally in public or while traveling) that an open can, much less a HUGE open can is unacceptable or a huge hassle.  

I'm really not trying to argue and say 'oh there's SOMETHING that's exactly the same' so I hope I didn't come across that way.  Maybe if I simply said 'Hey what closed can would you recommend to a fan of the 701 series' and left it at that?

Alternatively to the Fostex query, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at some Etymotics buds, I hear good things about some of their new stuff in relation to the sound characteristics of the 701s.

Fully understand the need for closed cans.  They just don't offer the open sound stage of the best or even better open and semi-open cans known for their sound stage.

The best closed sound stage I have heard so far is from a closed can is the $2,000 Fostex TH 900.  With regard to sound stage, it can't touch the $230 Q701.  Other good closed cans for sound stage (when properly amped) are the SRH 940 and discontinued D7000.  As I have said, I have not heard the W5000 (it was missing at the AT booth at the SxSW trade show).

With regard to IEM's, they are covered in another part of the forum.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #26,780 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I have not not heard the very expensive W5000.  Unfortunately it has generated reviews like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHW5000

Tyll doesn't like them either.

I was commenting purely on the soundstage. It's the most spacious sound of all the closed cans I've heard.

People dislike the W5000 for other reasons- incohesiveness, lack of treble/bass extension, resonance issues, nasal vocals are all common complaints from its naysayers- but I don't think anyone's ever denied its soundstage.

Sure...and my point is that even if this can has a large sound stage, it also has earned more than a few red flags from reviewers I respect.  So everyone should think twice and listen to it before buying one.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #26,781 of 29,490
Quote:
Fully understand the need for closed cans.  They just don't offer the open sound stage of the best or even better open and semi-open cans known for their sound stage.

The best closed sound stage I have heard so far is from a closed can is the $2,000 Fostex TH 900.  With regard to sound stage, it can't touch the $230 Q701.  Other good closed cans for sound stage (when properly amped) are the SRH 940 and discontinued D7000.  As I have said, I have not heard the W5000 (it was missing at the AT booth at the SxSW trade show).

With regard to IEM's, they are covered in another part of the forum.

Hey, now we're cooking with fire!
Based on a quick query the SRH940 sounds like they're worth exploring a bit, the Fostex are just a wee bit out of my price range!

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #26,782 of 29,490
i like the w5000 for heavenly choral music...great synergy with its "honkiness" :p

the 940 has a magnifying glass on the treble...
and the bass is less than present. 
great for acoustic music....guitar..piano...violins. 
basslurver stayaway pls.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #26,783 of 29,490
If I liked the sound of the DT990 except for the overly emphasised treble/highs which made listening with the DT990 too fatiguing for me way too fast would those headphones be a solid choice:
HiFiMAN HE-300
Sennheiser HD650 (would you say their current price ~350€ is justified?); also, can someone tell me how exactly I can spot the difference between the variants of the HD650.. is this a new one http://i.imgur.com/A2csUFt.jpg
Denon AH-D2000 

are there any other that I could add to my choice? They really shouldnt be much more expensive than 250€ or so. The Sennheiser are already out of my budget basically but if those are the perfect headphones for me I'd take them. 

Also I am just using a Xonar DG for now which might be changed to something else later. But seeing as it could power the DT990 do you think it'll work ok with the HD650?

An example of my prefered musical taste: https://soundcloud.com/moon_music

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #26,785 of 29,490
Im looking for new headphones again, it seems. For starters;

I started with AKG k271 mkii's and the right side went out, so I returned them. I really liked the accurate mids, the band comfort and the velour pads, and although good, they could have had better isolation.

Aftterwards, I went with Ultrasone HFI-780's after hearing about the construction, soundstage and SQ from reviews around here, and although really crystal, the bass was a tad bit muddier and the mids slightly more recessed than the AKG's. Now the left cup has gone out on them so Im retiring them as a home or other use phone after warrantying them. I also, despite other reviews, didnt mind the clamping force. It was noticeable when I got them for a few days, but the issue was gone after, although the band materials made them a bit slippery (I have long hair and intend to keep it).

Anyway, the main points Im looking for;

Accurate frequency response, most importantly in low frequencies. I dont want 1-note thumps, but distinct tones like I got from the AKG's. Big bonus if its not recessed as much as the AKG's however. Very sturdy, near DJ-quality construction is a big thing with me, and removable cables is good. Im also starting to side with cabling going to both cups separately, vs having a single side cable like both the AKG's and Ultrasone's. I also, if you couldnt tell, need closed back for the isolation. I already have a good pair of IEM's.

Price range is around 200, amazon with prime a big benefit, plus if I can warranty them through amazon cheaply. Some of my considerations;

P.S. What I get will be driven nearly exclusively through a Fiio e07k and 

FWIW, the music I typically listen to is the majority of what Buckethead performs, John 5, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert. These will also be used to mix when I record live performances; rock, dubstep, grunge, metal, danceable types of music

Fischer Audio FA-003 except for the max input power and lack of availability from retailors I trust.
Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm; easy to drive, neutral, bass emphasis and accurate, velour pads and good isolation. Just not sure on the construction
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 mk2; for the high input power, DJ construction, removable cables. Not sure based on bass, it may be too much from what I read in reviews, but relative to the AKG's and Ultrasone's, it may well be right what I need. Any input on this one?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated in advance

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #26,786 of 29,490
Hello my dear friends; 

I'm listening trance and electronic genres mostly. My previous headphone was AKG K-181 Dj. I've just sold it cause I couldn't listen it anymore due to it's too agressive highes. I was really afraid that they could make me deaf!!!

And now I'm looking for a new headphone. For me ofcourse clear and deep lows are really important but also it must has really high clearity with good instrument seperation. I don't like muffled and just one note bass sound.... and I really don't want to sibilince highes like in K-181. 

Now I'm in very big dilemma between tma-1 and m-80. Do you tihnk which one is more suitable for me. If you give me some ideas about them, I'll be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #26,787 of 29,490
Okay, I'm convinced! Thanks a bunch KG Jag, you're awesome :D

edit: found some B-Stock on amazon for 235 euro, worth it? Never heard this B-Stock before, so I'm wary. It said it comes with full 2 years warranty though.
Quote:
The HD 600 is in a class above the the HD 598 and others you are considering.  Read about it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HD600

You can check the "Deals Thread 2" in this section of the forum for the latest on the best price on the HD 600 in the States.  I think Razordogs may currently hold that title.

Especially when money is dear, don't spend it on something with which you won't be very happy not far down the line.  Save a bit more and get a quality and classic audiophile can.  Again, I'm not knocking the HD 598, but simply saying it's not enough of an upgrade on which to spend your hard earned money.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #26,788 of 29,490
Im torn between the Beyerdynamic DT770's, leaning towards the 80 ohm version of the 3 variants, and the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700mk2's for my uses;

Mixing live, danceable types of rock and metal + dubstep and related kinds of electronic music, as well as gaming, game audio mixing, and all around music enjoyment. As far as genre's/artists it boils down to people like buckethead, steve vai, satriani, john 5, eric johnson, Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, and techno like prodigy. 

Im very much leaning towards the ath-pro700mk2's for the DJ construction, removable cable, strong bass emphasis as well as clear mids and highs, as well as for the foldability/portability of them. I also like the high input poweer of the AT's, compared to the beyers.

Im looking at the beyers for the SQ and flat signature, and wide stage, but am discerned for the loose/laidback (not to be confused with lazy or bad) construction, the lack of removable cables and foldability, and the high impedance/isolation compared to the ATs.

Would anything be wrong with the AT's for what Im using them for?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #26,790 of 29,490
Hello, I'm really new to this and would need advice on how to progress.

this is my current set up: 
redface.gif

source: sansa clip zip (rock boxed) all flac files and a few 320 kbps

headphones: brainwavz hm3

amp: n/a

I'm getting a jvc ha-s500 in a week or two since they're cheap and i would like to compare the sq with my hm3 which i bought just a month ago. Anyways I have planned to do big upgrades (up to 500-700 $) at least every six months (it depends). I think this would allow me to enjoy what I buy without being stressed financially. 

I'm after the sound quality first and foremost, and I'm willing to compromise with isolation, portability,comfort and price to an extent. I can bear with a few discomforts as long as it does not cause outright pain. I don't mind not being able to use it outside in a crowd of people and need to just sit down as long as the sq is good.

Should I go for headphones? start it slow with an ath-m50, senn momentum or hd 25-i, akg k181 dj, brainwavz m5, m-80 or charge through with an hd 600 with a decent amp? These are all the phones I know for the moment so if anyone has other suggestions, I can do my research and it would help me make decisions.

Or should I find a better source player or an amp?

note: as for the budget though it's 500-700 i am still a very pragmatic person and would think twice about buying a lot of gear just to fit 700$. But I can make up to 100$ in between if I feel they're really good(hyped) stuff like the jvc ha-s500.

My music preferences: Opeth, Agalloch,Cynic, Gordian Knot, Symphony X, Dream theater,Ayreon, Pain of Salvation,Porcupine Tree,Riverside, LunaticSoul, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mono, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Yndi Halda, Kayo Dot, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Talk Talk, In The Woods, Ulver, Disillusion, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Blind Guardian, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Bark Psychosis, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk, Ash ra Tempel, The Samuel Jackson Five, Maybe She Will, Sphongle, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Quintessence, Negura Bunget, Enslaved, Orphaned Land, Johnny Cash, Tennesse Ernie Ford, Sarah Mclachlan, Cranberries, Everything But The Girl, Ephel Duath, Atheist, Augury, Nightwish and Korpiklaani.

Thank you very much I'm very happy to have discovered this community. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back