++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 30, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #26,701 of 29,490
Hi Guys, 

I have problem deciding between two headphones for my first set of high quality cans:

DT990 : 250 ohm is my only option. I've read so many good things about these cans, high quality with good build and comfort ideal for watching movies. Im more leaning towards these phones...

HD558: These are also very good cans but considering the little price difference with dt990 i would rather buy the beyerdynamics...

AMP: I dont have any amp and would like to use headphones mostly with a vaio laptop for movies and music. Im also going to use it with other portable devices so I cant deal with the clutter and added cost and complexion of another device. but all in all i may get an amp in future but right now for foreseeable future its out of question. so basicly no AMP.

So which one should I get?  I have no experince with any of these and cant audition them before buying but I've read that portable devices can drive the dt990s albeit the volume may not be enough. as long as the problem is just the volume and not quality Im fine with dt990. But if no amp will result in dt990 sound worse than hd558 then i have no choice but to buy hd558.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #26,702 of 29,490
Hi guys I like quality,effects & clarity so much that Im sticking to my discman to play original CDs.
I am currently using seinnheiser PX 200,which I feel quality is pretty good for the price sold.
However, I am doubting PX200 sound quality and wonder if theres even better headphones not so bulky if possible...that plays CDs from discman very very well?
Reason Im thinking of a change is because I doubt I can hear all the mixture of voices that strong with PX200.

I am looking at clarity and bass and music clarity with great effects from solo and mixed voice.

I also play concert DVD on my laptop and I like using headphones instead of speakers.
Those are original DVDs from Japan.

So yeah guys,,,,any good suggestion? I am looking at hopefully below 200-400. Help please!!

Music type: Rap/Hip-hop/soft rock
Type of headphone: portable & sealed over the ear/closed
Head size: small
Usage: Portable discman/laptop

Not looking at IEM,amp or any vintage models.

Or do u guys think PX200 is good enough for both potability and music effects?
Its clarity is one of the best I have come across.

Thanks!!

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #26,704 of 29,490
Hey,

I was wondering which of these headphones isolate outside noise (such as on buses or in crouds) the best?

Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown
beyerdynamic  DT 770 pro
beyerdynamic T70
ultrasone pro 750
ultrasone Signature Pro
Ultrasone Signature DJ
beyerdynamic T90
Beyerdynamic T70p
Philips Fidelio L1
shure sr840
akg k550
Sennheiser Momentum
audio technica ath anc7

I want something like the Sony MDR 1R but isolates so i don't hear as much outside noise (the denon ah d-2000 also look similar to these although i haven't tried them so don't know if they isolate better then the Sony MDR 1R.) Also the noise cancelling version is too expensive.

Also i know this is the wrong section but i dont want to start a new thread just for a simple question.
Do on ear headphones isolate at all? i am guessing not.
for example the Grado SR-80 or the Audio technica ath esw9? 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #26,705 of 29,490
I would like to buy a new pair of budget headphones, the highest price I think i could go would be £55.

I wear glasses, hence the comfort needs to be taken into consideration. I did have a pair of Bose AE2 that were a very comfortable fit as the ear pads were soft enogh to not press my glasses into my head.

The only other requirements would be:
as little noise leakage as possible (closed)
Over ear

Sound quality wise, i didnt actually think the bose ae2 was that good.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #26,706 of 29,490
Since most (if not all) of my listening would be at home, a portable amp would likely not be needed... I did a tiny bit of research and stumbled upon the Objective2. (Open source is always cool) How well would that pair with the DT880s? (particularly the 600Ohm version)

The Grados sound like  fun 'phones, but for now at least, I'd prefer to keep to something which would be a bit better all around.

Objective2 amp drives my DT880/600ohm to above 120 dB. My PEAK listening volume rarely goes above 105 dB (my average listening volume is at 80 dB-84dB). So that combo is loud enough for most. Their sound signature may be too revealing/unforgiving for some listener/albums though.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #26,707 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Guys, 

I have problem deciding between two headphones for my first set of high quality cans:

DT990 : 250 ohm is my only option. I've read so many good things about these cans, high quality with good build and comfort ideal for watching movies. Im more leaning towards these phones...

HD558: These are also very good cans but considering the little price difference with dt990 i would rather buy the beyerdynamics...

AMP: I dont have any amp and would like to use headphones mostly with a vaio laptop for movies and music. Im also going to use it with other portable devices so I cant deal with the clutter and added cost and complexion of another device. but all in all i may get an amp in future but right now for foreseeable future its out of question. so basicly no AMP.

So which one should I get?  I have no experince with any of these and cant audition them before buying but I've read that portable devices can drive the dt990s albeit the volume may not be enough. as long as the problem is just the volume and not quality Im fine with dt990. But if no amp will result in dt990 sound worse than hd558 then i have no choice but to buy hd558.

No amp for 250 ohm? You will need an amp for DT990. DT990 will have better imaging, detail, and extension, when properly amped. Look into small amps from Fiio. They are very cheap and will drive DT990 to a fair level.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #26,708 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,

I was wondering which of these headphones isolate outside noise (such as on buses or in crouds) the best?

Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown
beyerdynamic  DT 770 pro
beyerdynamic T70
ultrasone pro 750
ultrasone Signature Pro
Ultrasone Signature DJ
beyerdynamic T90
Beyerdynamic T70p
Philips Fidelio L1
shure sr840
akg k550
Sennheiser Momentum
audio technica ath anc7

I want something like the Sony MDR 1R but isolates so i don't hear as much outside noise (the denon ah d-2000 also look similar to these although i haven't tried them so don't know if they isolate better then the Sony MDR 1R.) Also the noise cancelling version is too expensive.

Also i know this is the wrong section but i dont want to start a new thread just for a simple question.
Do on ear headphones isolate at all? i am guessing not.
for example the Grado SR-80 or the Audio technica ath esw9? 

I would say try on-ear headphones like DT1350, Momentum, Amperior, and more. Drop K550 from the list too(they don't isolate much). Open back on ear like SR-80 will not, but others that I suggested like DT1350 and Amperior isolates almost as much as an IEM, which is very good.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #26,709 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys I like quality,effects & clarity so much that Im sticking to my discman to play original CDs.
I am currently using seinnheiser PX 200,which I feel quality is pretty good for the price sold.
However, I am doubting PX200 sound quality and wonder if theres even better headphones not so bulky if possible...that plays CDs from discman very very well?
Reason Im thinking of a change is because I doubt I can hear all the mixture of voices that strong with PX200.

I am looking at clarity and bass and music clarity with great effects from solo and mixed voice.

I also play concert DVD on my laptop and I like using headphones instead of speakers.
Those are original DVDs from Japan.

So yeah guys,,,,any good suggestion? I am looking at hopefully below 200-400. Help please!!

Music type: Rap/Hip-hop/soft rock
Type of headphone: portable & sealed over the ear/closed
Head size: small
Usage: Portable discman/laptop

Not looking at IEM,amp or any vintage models.

Or do u guys think PX200 is good enough for both potability and music effects?
Its clarity is one of the best I have come across.

Thanks!!

You did not mention your budget and your current portable can goes for about $50.  If you can afford it, the usually about $200 Sennheiser HD25-1 II is another can worth considering.

You should know that this section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:
[size=12.0pt]http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here[/size]

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #26,710 of 29,490
Quote:
I would like to buy a new pair of budget headphones, the highest price I think i could go would be £55.

I wear glasses, hence the comfort needs to be taken into consideration. I did have a pair of Bose AE2 that were a very comfortable fit as the ear pads were soft enogh to not press my glasses into my head.

The only other requirements would be:
as little noise leakage as possible (closed)
Over ear

Sound quality wise, i didnt actually think the bose ae2 was that good.

Your budget is very low and I can't think of full sized can with decent sound that fits your requirements.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Your best bet is probably a portable can.  This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:
[size=12.0pt]http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here[/size]

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #26,711 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Guys, 

Don't count on properly driving a 250 Ohm can if you only have on board sound from a laptop.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #26,713 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Don't count on properly driving a 250 Ohm can if you only have on board sound from a laptop.

Thanks man, so HD558 then...?

Although I really really like the dt990 :frowning2:

The 598 will probably work, but even it will work better with an amp or amp/dac.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #26,715 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The 598 will probably work, but even it will work better with an amp or amp/dac

I really wanted to get the dt990 hoping that without amp they will be better than hd558 without amp....

Has anyone tried these two without amp for comparison?

With onboard audio, the only way you can get definitive advice is from someone with the exact computer (or at least exact audio section) as yours.

If you check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread, the HD 558 is rated a "2", which means:

"(2) Denotes amp is not required, but one is recommended."

More specifically the HD 598 is a 50 Ohm can with a sensitivity rating of 112 dB. 

The DT 990 (including Pro) is a much less efficient 250 Ohms and only a 96 dB sensitivity rating.  It is rated a "3"

"(3) Denotes amp is required. Using these without an amp will leave much to be desired."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back