++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #26,731 of 29,490
Quote:
I would say try on-ear headphones like DT1350, Momentum, Amperior, and more. Drop K550 from the list too(they don't isolate much). Open back on ear like SR-80 will not, but others that I suggested like DT1350 and Amperior isolates almost as much as an IEM, which is very good.

I found after about 3-4 hours use of on-ear headphones are not comfort, so i would like over-ear so i can listen to them for like 8 hours. I tried the momentum but found there a bit bass heavy. Okay thanks for the suggestions, i read a lot of views on it and found they are very good if they fit properly but usually they dont.  Have you tried any of the others on the list that i can narrow down?

Does anyone else use any of those headphones? how good is the isolation, is it good enough for buses? 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #26,732 of 29,490
Quote:
I found after about 3-4 hours use of on-ear headphones are not comfort, so i would like over-ear so i can listen to them for like 8 hours. I tried the momentum but found there a bit bass heavy. Okay thanks for the suggestions, i read a lot of views on it and found they are very good if they fit properly but usually they dont.  Have you tried any of the others on the list that i can narrow down?

Does anyone else use any of those headphones? how good is the isolation, is it good enough for buses? 

For over-ear portables, try MDR-1R. They are very very comfortable and provide decent isolation. There also is a NC version, but it's expensive.

Quote:
Wrote Something pages back but never got a response.

I'm looking for some decent headphones that are bassy (coming from xb500) but also have clean crisp highs. These will usually be driven off a PC/laptop or my Nexus 4 phone. I want them to be portable enough to wear to the airport and on a flight and not look ridiculous. My budget is under $180 shipped with tax.

Please help as I'm ready to buy today.

Thank you

Try ATH-M50. Etymotic IEMs is not bassy at all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #26,733 of 29,490
Quote:
For over-ear portables, try MDR-1R. They are very very comfortable and provide decent isolation. There also is a NC version, but it's expensive.

Try ATH-M50. Etymotic IEMs is not bassy at all.

I have tried the MDR 1R and yes i agree, one of the most comfortable pair of headphones i tried. Although i disagree about the isolation part, i found i heard the people talking heaps over the top of the music i was listening too. I agree the NC was too expensive.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #26,734 of 29,490
Hiyaa guys.... So I got good ol' disease called upgrade-itish :D

My friend who lived in German said he could help me buy a headphone from amazon.de. As high as Euro compared to my country currency is, amazon price still lower than my country pricing.

So, here are my choices:
AKG K550, Senn HD598, Philips L1.
My price bracket is 200 Euro max (not that much, I know).

From what I read here, both K550 and HD598 had brighter sound, while L1 is more dark sounding. What shall I go for? Is it better to save up more for Philips X1 (the lowest price is about 240 Euro)? This review by Headfonia said X1 got similar sound to HD650(which I definitely can't afford, both for monetary issue and safety issue -- as in wife-to-be).

My current headphone is Goldring DR150, which I have told, has similar characteristic with Senn HD650. I said similar, as in dark sounding headphone with nice low-end. I like my DR150, the dark sound is very nice, it tamed those mainstream recording. Yes, I listen to mainstream record, thank you very much.
My music is very wide-spread: from classical to EDM, from jazz to metal, pop to traditional music, you named it. As long I like it, I listen to it, no matter the genre. So I guess I need wide bandwith headphone.

Advice me please? Thank you for your helps :D

ps: my current DAC/AMP is FiiO E10, but planning to upgrade to Aune T1 DAC/AMP, so I guess amplifier is not an issue?
ps 2: no beyer please, I can't stand the treble and scoped mid's, I love vocals on my music.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #26,735 of 29,490
The 598s are known to be some of the best sounding headphones for vocals out there. I'd suggest trying to read some of the appreciation thread for them, they're absolutely adored for vocals, and they are known to handle almost any genre you throw at it. They are known to have a very strong sound stage, and many say they are laid back, just not as much as the 650s (so they have a little more treble.) Also really comfortable. They are open back, so they leak everything.

Note: I have not owned the 598, I'm just repeating what a ton of people have said about them on the appreciation thread, so I'm taking their words for it.

edit: But they are not known to be bassy, so if that's important, they may not be the best choice.

edit2: Also, you won't really need much more than the E10s, those would work great with the 598s.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #26,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Hiyaa guys.... So I got good ol' disease called upgrade-itish
biggrin.gif

My friend who lived in German said he could help me buy a headphone from amazon.de. As high as Euro compared to my country currency is, amazon price still lower than my country pricing.

So, here are my choices:
AKG K550, Senn HD598, Philips L1.
My price bracket is 200 Euro max (not that much, I know).

From what I read here, both K550 and HD598 had brighter sound, while L1 is more dark sounding. What shall I go for? Is it better to save up more for Philips X1 (the lowest price is about 240 Euro)? This review by Headfonia said X1 got similar sound to HD650(which I definitely can't afford, both for monetary issue and safety issue -- as in wife-to-be).

My current headphone is Goldring DR150, which I have told, has similar characteristic with Senn HD650. I said similar, as in dark sounding headphone with nice low-end. I like my DR150, the dark sound is very nice, it tamed those mainstream recording. Yes, I listen to mainstream record, thank you very much.
My music is very wide-spread: from classical to EDM, from jazz to metal, pop to traditional music, you named it. As long I like it, I listen to it, no matter the genre. So I guess I need wide bandwith headphone.

Advice me please? Thank you for your helps
biggrin.gif

ps: my current DAC/AMP is FiiO E10, but planning to upgrade to Aune T1 DAC/AMP, so I guess amplifier is not an issue?
ps 2: no beyer please, I can't stand the treble and scoped mid's, I love vocals on my music.

Based on what I have read about the Goldring, I would be very tempted to wait until I had enough money saved to jump to the HD 600.  I'm not sure that the cans you have listed are enough of a step up from what you have in relation to the money you will have to spend.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #26,737 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 598s are known to be some of the best sounding headphones for vocals out there.
Note: I have not owned the 598, I'm just repeating what a ton of people have said about them on the appreciation thread, so I'm taking their words for it.

According to head-fi appreciation threads there are only about 1,493 best sounding headphones out there.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #26,739 of 29,490
Hey all, I've had my CALs for about a year now and I love them, but I want to upgrade. Looking to spend about $200.

I really enjoy the sound style of the CALs, but I think it's time for something a little more balanced. However, I've heard the ATH-M50s and those are too neutral for my tastes. My source is my sansa clip + as well as my desktop and laptop (realtek hd audio, onboard chip).

I've searched before on what is a good upgrade from the CALs, but couldn't really find a straight answer. I just want the upgrade to be substantial enough to warrant spending the money. Thanks

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #26,740 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I've had my CALs for about a year now and I love them, but I want to upgrade. Looking to spend about $200.

I really enjoy the sound style of the CALs, but I think it's time for something a little more balanced. However, I've heard the ATH-M50s and those are too neutral for my tastes. My source is my sansa clip + as well as my desktop and laptop (realtek hd audio, onboard chip).

I've searched before on what is a good upgrade from the CALs, but couldn't really find a straight answer. I just want the upgrade to be substantial enough to warrant spending the money. Thanks

I don't know about you, but to me the M50s felt like they had really recessed mids. I didn't like them that much at all...

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #26,743 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes, there are upgrades within your budget--and a good deal more if you are OK with open cans and/or have an amp.

The M50's are far from neutral, so I ask the following with some hesitation:  What sound signature that you are seeking?

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #26,744 of 29,490
I've been planning a new headphone purchase for the last 15months. I've gone back and forth on what I want to buy; and due to circumstances (computer dying, phone dying, camera dying) I've not had the money to support the purchase...
Headphones I've owned are:
Koss KSC-75 (first proper headphones, congested) from memory
Head-Direct RE2 (not enough bass, very middy, congested/not fast enough) from memory
Hifiman RE-ZERO (very much like these still, maybe not enough detail, not enough bass at times)
Hifiman RE-0 (too little bass (nice quality though), brilliant treble extension, really didn’t like them though)
Alessandro MS1 (nice quantity of bass not great quality though, not enough treble extension, very uncomfortable for long periods, I wish they were a little more fun)
Beyerdynamic DT880-600 (dislike the v-sound sig with most music, terrific treble, not enough bass, not fun enough) # I actually preferred a mates DT880-250

I've auditioned a few pairs:
AKG Q701 (I really liked these, almost perfect fitting bass, terrific treble, fun at times, lovely mids)
HD600 (far too dark for me :frowning2: )
HD598 (again too dark, not enough treble extension)
Fischer DBA-02 MKII (I really liked these as well, I felt at the time that they worked well next to the q701)

Source and Amp:
Some inherited audio-gd equipment (I feel this exacerbates the issues i have with the dt880, very neutral/almost analytical)
I'll be getting a e12 with whatever purchase i'll make.

I’ve strongly considered the Q701 for a while now, but constantly wonder whether they’ll A) be driven and work with my existing gear, B) a reasonable portable amp will be enough to drive them... Now there is a lot of talk about the Mad Dog cans, and I’m not sure anymore.

My budget is up to $400. I listen to a very wide variety of music, from classical (esp. piano solo), pop; but the focus would probably be on rock, jazz, and electronica.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #26,745 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been planning a new headphone purchase for the last 15months. I've gone back and forth on what I want to buy; and due to circumstances (computer dying, phone dying, camera dying) I've not had the money to support the purchase...
Headphones I've owned are:
koss ksc-75 (first proper headphones, congested) from memory

Head-Direct RE2 (not enough bass, very middy, congested/not fast enough) from memory
Hifiman RE-ZERO (very much like these still, maybe not enough detail, not enough bass at times)
Hifiman RE-0 (too little bass (nice quality though), brilliant treble extension, I feel they were more
Alessandro MS1 (nice quantity of bass not great quality though, not enough treble extension, very uncomfortable for long periods, I wish they were a little more fun)
Beyerdynamic DT880-600 (dislike the v-sound sig with most music, terrific treble, not enough bass, not fun enough) # I actually preferred a mates DT880-250

I've auditioned a few pairs:
AKG Q701 (I really liked these, almost perfect fitting bass, terrific treble, fun at times, lovely mids)
HD600 (far too dark for me :frowning2: )
HD598 (again too dark, not enough treble extension)
Fischer DBA-02 (I really liked these as well, I felt at the time that they worked well next to the q701)

Source and Amp:
Some inherited audio-gd equipment (I feel this exacerbates the issues i have with the dt880, very neutral/almost analytical)
I'll be getting a e12 with whatever purchase i'll make.

I’ve strongly considered the Q701 for a while now, but constantly wonder whether they’ll A) be driven and work with my existing gear, B) a reasonable portable amp will be enough to drive them... Now there is a lot of talk about the Mad Dog cans, and I’m not sure anymore.

Just looking at the Mad Dogs Frequency Response charts, there are dark, like the HD 650s. They get compared to the LCD-2s, which are also just like the 650s in darkness.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

as you can see, it starts off flat, and then it falls as it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back