++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #25,291 of 29,490
Quote:
The HE 500 is very neutral...and here's the great thing for me...they (treble, mids & bass) are all there.  Those who prefer a colored can, might be better off with the HE 400.  Be aware that there have been at least a couple versions (revisions) of the HE 400 and some say that the earlier one is darker that what came later.

Okay I see. I feel I will be suited to the HE400 with regards to sound and comfortability; being lighter than HE500. Although knowing me, I'll probably try both if I really like the HE400s to compare for myself. 

As a guide, I just got Ultrasone Pro 2900 and they have good bass, but lack warmth in midrange that HD650s have. As a result, I prefer HD650s. How do Hifimans and LCD2 compare with warmth as in HD650s? I think that's a big deal to me.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #25,292 of 29,490
The Momentum is not made for audiophiles.

And that's because a can whose sound is a bit more colored is generally not preferred by a typical audiophile?

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #25,293 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The HE 500 is very neutral...and here's the great thing for me...they (treble, mids & bass) are all there.  Those who prefer a colored can, might be better off with the HE 400.  Be aware that there have been at least a couple versions (revisions) of the HE 400 and some say that the earlier one is darker that what came later.

Okay I see. I feel I will be suited to the HE400 with regards to sound and comfortability; being lighter than HE500. Although knowing me, I'll probably try both if I really like the HE400s to compare for myself. 

As a guide, I just got Ultrasone Pro 2900 and they have good bass, but lack warmth in midrange that HD650s have. As a result, I prefer HD650s. How do Hifimans and LCD2 compare with warmth as in HD650s? I think that's a big deal to me.

Let's start with if you have not yet heard a high planar and coming something like the HD 650, you are in for a new experience.  Clarity and balance with everything present that should be is a start on how describe it.  For example you will get bass than runs deep, clear and true, but does not dominate the sound signature.  There is no mid bass hump and no need for one.  The LCD-2 is the warmer and darker choice.  The HE 500 provides more sparkle on the top end and overall presents an (even) more more balanced sound signature.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #25,294 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Momentum is not made for audiophiles.

And that's because a can whose sound is a bit more colored is generally not preferred by a typical audiophile?

Yes--but not 100% of the time.  If the sound is colored, it must be done well and for a purpose.  Important things to the sound cannot be lost in the process.  I guess the easiest way to understand the point is just to A/B the Amperior and Momentum.  The Amperior is made for the music.  The Momentum is made for the current market and taste preferences--which I do not meant in an entirely negative way.  Quaiity is maintained, while they sell out just a bit.  After all its probably closer to what more people want; just not more audiophiles. 

In the end you decide which you want.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #25,296 of 29,490
Hello all

I'm looking to upgrade from my current headphones Incipio F38 (FA-004 / Brainwavz HM3 rebrand) and I have a budget around $100-120 max. It needs to be closed with decent isolation, low/no leakage, and be decently comfortable.

I prefer a more balanced sound with maybe a slight emphasis in the mids. I like what I'm using right now except the highs could be better, I'd like less bass, and they aren't very comfortable after a while. This will mostly be used for music and pc games. I might get an amp in a few months but for now I'm using my laptop and phone outputs.

So far I've looked at:
Jaycar Pro Monitor (FA-003 rebrand)
KRK KNS 6400/8400
Koss DJ100

And I'm not sure what would be best or what else is out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #25,297 of 29,490
Yes--but not 100% of the time.  If the sound is colored, it must be done well and for a purpose.  Important things to the sound cannot be lost in the process.  I guess the easiest way to understand the point is just to A/B the Amperior and Momentum.  The Amperior is made for the music.  The Momentum is made for the current market and taste preferences--which I do not meant in an entirely negative way.  Quaiity is maintained, while they sell out just a bit.  After all its probably closer to what more people want; just not more audiophiles. 

In the end you decide which you want.

Cool. Well I went back again yesterday to try them again and I'm really enjoying what's coming out of them, but I really hate the cups. They just weren't comfortable to me. For the price and for the type of use they will be for (in the office), that's not a compromise I'm willing to make. That's the reason why I'm asking for someone to describe the sound. There's this lexicon everyone here shares here and I don't have a comfortable grasp on the terminology yet. When I do, I'll have an easier time describing what I'm looking for in future requests and recommendations. I'm just not a fan of being an uneducated buyer.

I'm gonna take your advice and try the Amperior as well so I can understand the comparison, but currently I want to search for a can that sounds close to the Momentum (warm? neutral? balanced? help?) and is a true circumaural headphone. (smiley face for me for using big words like "circumaural")

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #25,298 of 29,490
Quote:

Katun did a really good comparison of the HE-400 and HE-500 in his Amazon review of the HE-500.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2YXQ4QY5YCLNA/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B005DL2JCI&cdForum=Fx2E8EG944H5F1Z&cdPage=4&cdThread=Tx2Y4OKEYPYIYSG&newContentID=Mx1IU9RX8NYJYSP&newContentNum=34&store=electronics#Mx1507YEHGWLCMS

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #25,299 of 29,490
Hi I am looking for some advice. I run a small business from home and would like to get some high quality headphones to wear while I work. They need to be an open design so I can hear the phone / intercom system. Wireless would help as well as I am constantly moving about to answer phones, reply to emails etc, but if its going to greatly reduce sound quality then something wired could be an option.

I was looking at using my PC, which has an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card, with the Sennheiser RS 220 wireless headphones. The PC is in another room, so I would need to use a Remote Desktop app on my ipad to control the PC, but I thought that would be a better option than using the ipad sound directly.

My music collection is on my PC and is in AIFF format. I mainly listen to electro house, progressive house, drum and bass, garage, but I also like some older soul and jazz, and a little classical music as well.

Have I chosen a good set up? Or are there better options available? Any advice is appreciated.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #25,300 of 29,490
I know everyone will probably cringe when they hear this but I'm trying to decide which of the 2 to get but I'm not sure. Either the soul sl300 or the sms street by 50. I'm getting them pretty cheap so that's why I wana get one of the 2 but I don't know which to get.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #25,301 of 29,490
Cool. Well I went back again yesterday to try them again and I'm really enjoying what's coming out of them, but I really hate the cups. They just weren't comfortable to me. For the price and for the type of use they will be for (in the office), that's not a compromise I'm willing to make. That's the reason why I'm asking for someone to describe the sound. There's this lexicon everyone here shares here and I don't have a comfortable grasp on the terminology yet. When I do, I'll have an easier time describing what I'm looking for in future requests and recommendations. I'm just not a fan of being an uneducated buyer.

I'm gonna take your advice and try the Amperior as well so I can understand the comparison, but currently I want to search for a can that sounds close to the Momentum (warm? neutral? balanced? help?) and is a true circumaural headphone. (smiley face for me for using big words like "circumaural")

I just looked at the frequency response graph and, funny enough, they look like an orthodynamic. Almost table flat from bass to 2k then the highs drop off to a mostly flat level -15db down. Go try on a pair of fostex t50rp and hifiman he400. If the fostex feel good there are a few modders making VERY well respected custom versions at your price range. The mods bring the bass up a little and smooth ot the housing resonance for better sound clarity.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #25,302 of 29,490
I know everyone will probably cringe when they hear this but I'm trying to decide which of the 2 to get but I'm not sure. Either the soul sl300 or the sms street by 50. I'm getting them pretty cheap so that's why I wana get one of the 2 but I don't know which to get.

Noontec Zoro or Creative Aurvana live. Both can be had for less and both sound better than what you're looking at

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #25,303 of 29,490
Noontec Zoro or Creative Aurvana live. Both can be had for less and both sound better than what you're looking at

Thanks! I kinda wanted the detachable cable and I'm buying these because they look nice and because I wanted something bassy and different. I don't really want an on ear headphone. But does anyone know which is the better of the 2?

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #25,304 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all

I'm looking to upgrade from my current headphones Incipio F38 (FA-004 / Brainwavz HM3 rebrand) and I have a budget around $100-120 max. It needs to be closed with decent isolation, low/no leakage, and be decently comfortable.

I prefer a more balanced sound with maybe a slight emphasis in the mids. I like what I'm using right now except the highs could be better, I'd like less bass, and they aren't very comfortable after a while. This will mostly be used for music and pc games. I might get an amp in a few months but for now I'm using my laptop and phone outputs.

So far I've looked at:
Jaycar Pro Monitor (FA-003 rebrand)
KRK KNS 6400/8400
Koss DJ100

And I'm not sure what would be best or what else is out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The (very good) KRK KNS 6400 is the winner by elimination.  It is the only can on yours list that falls within your budget; is efficient enough for unamped use and not of giant size.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #25,305 of 29,490
I just looked at the frequency response graph and, funny enough, they look like an orthodynamic. Almost table flat from bass to 2k then the highs drop off to a mostly flat level -15db down. Go try on a pair of fostex t50rp and hifiman he400. If the fostex feel good there are a few modders making VERY well respected custom versions at your price range. The mods bring the bass up a little and smooth ot the housing resonance for better sound clarity.

Interesting. I'll see what I can do about trying them out. The HE400 is out just because its open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back