++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #25,306 of 29,490
    Thanks to KG Jag for the help he provided, you are doing a great job helping people in this thread. Best of luck to everyone on making the right decision for your ears. The "Battle of the Flagships" thread was extremely useful in helping me narrow down my choices, everyone should bookmark that epic breakdown. Thanks again Jag.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #25,307 of 29,490
Quote:
The (very good) KRK KNS 6400 is the winner by elimination.  It is the only can on yours list that falls within your budget; is efficient enough for unamped use and not of giant size.

I'm not really concerned with the size as long as it's fairly comfortable. The Jaycar fits into my budget but some people said the clamping force was too high and it had an echo in the sound. I'm considering it because I'm not sure if the KRK will have too little bass and the Jaycar might fit my preferences better.

Also there's some 8400 on ebay for around $100 which is why I added that into the list. How would you say the three compare in comfort and "fun" sound for music listening? And how does the Koss compare to them?

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #25,309 of 29,490
Quote:
If you have an amp the Q701 is also excellent.  The it comes to picking which flavor you like between the two.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have an amp and the color of the hd 598 does not really fit with anything I have...
Any other headphones that meet my needs and are in my budget? Or I could be patient until I have some more money to spend on it.

Edit: If there aren't any other headphones as good as the HD 598 I guess I will have to get over the color. Or I will have to be patient and get something like the HD 650.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #25,312 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The (very good) KRK KNS 6400 is the winner by elimination.  It is the only can on yours list that falls within your budget; is efficient enough for unamped use and not of giant size.

I'm not really concerned with the size as long as it's fairly comfortable. The Jaycar fits into my budget but some people said the clamping force was too high and it had an echo in the sound. I'm considering it because I'm not sure if the KRK will have too little bass and the Jaycar might fit my preferences better.

Also there's some 8400 on ebay for around $100 which is why I added that into the list. How would you say the three compare in comfort and "fun" sound for music listening? And how does the Koss compare to them?

If the Jaycar is like its fellow clone, the Brainwavz, it has a strong clamping force.

"Fun" is very subjective and in the ears of the beholder.

Many find the mid centric and forward Koss to be fun.  However, its stock pads are not the most comfortable and a number of devices (you have not specified yours) have trouble driving it well or to the volume level desired.  On an iPhone its right on the cusp of being OK and not having enough volume.

The 8400 has memory foam pads (which the 6400 does not have) and the most complete sound signature of the group.  However it is a bit bright and too dry (analytical) for some.  Its bass approaches neutral, but is not for those who like even mildly bassy cans.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #25,313 of 29,490
I'm very involved in the hunt for headphones to replace my 20+ year-old Sony MDR V600's, which are slowly falling apart. I listen to a mix of just about everything but top 3 genre's are classic rock, Jazz and Blues. I really enjoy good guitar so I want something that will reproduce that accurately. I'll be feeding my headphones .FLAC files streamed wirelessly to a Squeezebox v3 so I will need a decent amp and possibly a DAC.

I'd like to get a decent soundstage with good reproduction. I've been debating between open and closed headphones because many times I will be listening in the same room as my wife so I don't want to disturb her while she's reading, etc. I've increased my budget, which is probably $400 max, though less than that is perfectly fine, especially since I'll need to buy an amp/dac.

I'm considering these at the moment (listed "most interested in") at the top:

Shure SRH840 
Beyerdynamic DT880 in 250 or 600 ohm (too much sound leakage? and is 600ohm worth it and what amp)
Sennheiser HD 600 (suggested amp?)
HiFiMAN HE-400 and HE-500

This will be my 1st purchase of "serious" headphones and I want something that I can be comfortable with for a while. Given my listening preferences and budget, what suggestions do all of you have to offer? I'd also be interested in any amp/dac recommendations to match up with specific headphones.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #25,314 of 29,490
Quote:
If the Jaycar is like its fellow clone, the Brainwavz, it has a strong clamping force.

Many find the mid centric and forward Koss to be fun.  However, its stock pads are not the most comfortable and a number of devices (you have not specified yours) have trouble driving it well or to the volume level desired.  On an iPhone its right on the cusp of being OK and not having enough volume.

The 8400 has memory foam pads (which the 6400 does not have) and the most complete sound signature of the group.  However it is a bit bright and too dry (analytical) for some.  Its bass approaches neutral, but is not for those who like even mildly bassy cans.

Hmm thanks for all the help so far.

I think my last question would be how much of an improvement are the memory foam pads and is the Jaycar particularly uncomfortable or is it alright? Would you say the 6400 is less bright with more bass than the 8400?

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #25,315 of 29,490
Quote:
    Thanks to KG Jag for the help he provided, you are doing a great job helping people in this thread. Best of luck to everyone on making the right decision for your ears. The "Battle of the Flagships" thread was extremely useful in helping me narrow down my choices, everyone should bookmark that epic breakdown. Thanks again Jag.  

You are very welcome.  The Flagship article is one of the best resources I know of for folks looking for cans at and/or next too that level.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #25,316 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
If you have an amp the Q701 is also excellent.  The it comes to picking which flavor you like between the two.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have an amp and the color of the hd 598 does not really fit with anything I have...
Any other headphones that meet my needs and are in my budget? Or I could be patient until I have some more money to spend on it.

Edit: If there aren't any other headphones as good as the HD 598 I guess I will have to get over the color. Or I will have to be patient and get something like the HD 650.

The less expensive HD 558 uses the same driver and comes in black--if that's important to you.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #25,317 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm very involved in the hunt for headphones to replace my 20+ year-old Sony MDR V600's, which are slowly falling apart. I listen to a mix of just about everything but top 3 genre's are classic rock, Jazz and Blues. I really enjoy good guitar so I want something that will reproduce that accurately. I'll be feeding my headphones .FLAC files streamed wirelessly to a Squeezebox v3 so I will need a decent amp and possibly a DAC.

I'd like to get a decent soundstage with good reproduction. I've been debating between open and closed headphones because many times I will be listening in the same room as my wife so I don't want to disturb her while she's reading, etc. I've increased my budget, which is probably $400 max, though less than that is perfectly fine, especially since I'll need to buy an amp/dac.

I'm considering these at the moment (listed "most interested in") at the top:

Shure SRH840 (too much sound leakage?)
Beyerdynamic DT880 in 250 or 600 ohm (is 600ohm worth it and what amp)
Sennheiser HD 600 (suggested amp?)
HiFiMAN HE-400 and HE-500

This will be my 1st purchase of "serious" headphones and I want something that I can be comfortable with for a while. Given my listening preferences and budget, what suggestions do all of you have to offer? I'd also be interested in any amp/dac recommendations to match up with specific headphones.

Thanks in advance!

You say that you're concerned about 840 leaking too much, but it is the only closed can on your list.  The other 4 1/2 are open or semi-open cans and leak much more.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #25,318 of 29,490
Quote:
You say that you're concerned about 840 leaking too much, but it is the only closed can on your list.  The other 4 1/2 are open or semi-open cans and leak much more.

Oops, my fault. I meant to put that with the Beyer DT 880's. I'll edit the post.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #25,319 of 29,490
Quote:
HI! I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for home entertainment, i.e. movies and games. I want to spend 200$ or less, and they need to have a 3 m long cord. What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you also plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #25,320 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm thanks for all the help so far.

I think my last question would be how much of an improvement are the memory foam pads and is the Jaycar particularly uncomfortable or is it alright? Would you say the 6400 is less bright with more bass than the 8400?

The 8400 is (for me and many others) one of the most comfortable cans out there and memory foam is a big part of that.  The 8400 takes the very good 6400 and improves upon it in virtually every material way.  If the 8400 is too bright for you, you probably should look to options other than either KRK.

If the Brainwavz clone is the same as the Jaycar clone, it has a heavy clamp that brothers me, but is still wearable.  As comfort is an individual thing, no one but you can determine whether or not that clamping force is too strong for you.  I can only tell you that many people view it a problem to one degree or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back