++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #25,261 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

The ATH M50 is 38 ohms and the DT 770 Pro is 25O Ohms. DT770's sound great I dont know how the ATH M50 sound but you will need an amp if you decide to buy the DT770's :) 

Yeah I'm planning to get an amp in case I get the DT 770 250 ohms which I leaning towards right now. Any suggestions for a portable amp? I hear a lot of good things about the Fiio E07k and iBasso amps.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #25,262 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone again,
I've saved up some money for my future M-100 and already plan on buying something else :D
This time I'm interested in flat/neutral and accurate/analytical sounding cans preferably for 300$ or less.
Open or closed doesn't really matter.
Any suggestions?

Don't get a closed can unless you absolutely need one.  HD600 are very neutral and have extremely good sq for the price.  SRH940 are good but have flaws (less than most closed cans) not present in the HD600.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #25,263 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi AJ, I would also look into the Beyerdynamic range as they are normally good with gaming, DT770 would be a good choice.

I'll check them out.

Although I know I said I'll be gaming mostly, not entirely. I want to get headphones that are good for mostly everything, but still good for gaming.

I think I'm leaning towards the HD 598 instead of the DT770.

I will be in my room using these so open cans or whatever you call it will be fine.

Also, I am not a "basshead" and I read that I can use an amp to boost the bass so I think the 598 would be good.

I'm still open to any suggestions though!

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #25,265 of 29,490
Looking at getting either the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or Sennheiser HD650, both pretty much the same price as I can get the Sennheisers cheaper grey importing them from Hong Kong to Australia as i can get from Amazon in the U.S. (Australian prices are damn expensive)

Using them in my home studio. Will output out of my Mac Pro into my RME Fireface 400 i'm also thinking of getting the SPL Auditor or Dangerous Music The Source.

Benefits of the Source can switch between my Adam A7s and headphones and can use it with my Macbook Pro (i'm leaning this way)

SPL Auditor i'm guessing is better in quality, but i'd have to use a seperate set of outputs on my fireface, which there aren't many.

Headpones - Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or Sennheiser HD650

Headphone Amp/Output switch - Dangerous Music The Source or SPL Auditor

Or another similarly prices alternative

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #25,266 of 29,490
Quote:
I think I'm leaning towards the HD 598 instead of the DT770.

I will be in my room using these so open cans or whatever you call it will be fine.

Also, I am not a "basshead" and I read that I can use an amp to boost the bass so I think the 598 would be good.

I'm still open to any suggestions though!

Nevermind, I think I will get the DT770

Any suggestions on what version to get?

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #25,267 of 29,490
Quote:
    First off, this is a great idea for a forum thread to limit clutter. Now down to business. I have owned a pair of Sennheiser 600s for 1 1/2 or so and am extremely happy with their sound signature and comfort. I also own a pair of Grado SR80s and I while I like their unique flavor (especially on the more guitar oriented albums) the comfort is a huge turn-off for me.

So my question would be, what headphones would you recommend ($800 and under) to give me that same sweet electric and especially acoustic guitar sound with a bit more comfort. I am particularly interested in artists like Elliot Smith, Nick Drake, etc. artists who sit there for 10 minutes between each song re-tuning their guitars. I am also partial to Rickenbacker guitar sound of the 60s and the indie and power pop jangle guitar sounds.

The point of these headphones would be to compliment, more accurately, contrast Sennheisser's more laid back (which I do thoroughly enjoy) sound. The primary use of this new pair of headphones would be to accentuate the guitar sound. I look forward to reading people's suggestions, thanks.    

I am also in the process of upgrading my DAC as well, so any suggestions dealing with synergy between your headphone suggestion and a DAC suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.            

Thank you for your reply KG Jag, you can't think of any non Grado recommendations that would fit my description? I Would like to here others thoughts as well. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #25,270 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Never heard them.  Don't remember any discussion about them here either.  Fact is that there are a great many $30 to $60 cans that don't generate too much interest.

True enough, but these are both over €70 :S

They are about $55 to $75 here--still in the range where the same rule applies.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #25,271 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone!
I'm very new to the "audiophile" world and I need some help from you guys in choosing my first pair of good headphones.

I have a budget of around $240 and I will be using these headphones mostly for gaming but also music, movies, etc. Also noise isolation is NOT important to me AT ALL.

So far I've come up with the HD 598 with a clip on mic.

Are there any better headphones for this price? (The HD fall into the budget because they are $222 at amazon)

P.S. (Not a big fan of too much bass)

Edited by AJ Ferguson - Today at 5:15 pm

If you have an amp the Q701 is also excellent.  The it comes to picking which flavor you like between the two.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #25,272 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hello everyone!
I'm very new to the "audiophile" world and I need some help from you guys in choosing my first pair of good headphones.

I have a budget of around $240 and I will be using these headphones mostly for gaming but also music, movies, etc. Also noise isolation is NOT important to me AT ALL.

So far I've come up with the HD 598 with a clip on mic.

Are there any better headphones for this price? (The HD fall into the budget because they are $222 at amazon)

P.S. (Not a big fan of too much bass)

Edited by AJ Ferguson - Today at 5:15 pm

Hi AJ, I would also look into the Beyerdynamic range as they are normally good with gaming, DT770 would be a good choice.

Those are bass heavy cans with recessed mids.  Not recommended for what you say that you want.  They are also closed and not as good for gaming and movies as an open can like the HD 598.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #25,273 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for super comfortable circumaural (preferably closed) headphones with nice bass for less than £150 that isn't the DT770 Pro or M-Audio Q40 (DT770s sounded..recessed(?) to me and Q40s clamp was quite bad). I have a Xonar DX sound card.

Thanks.

You might want to check the buyers guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  You probably also need to explain exactly what you mean by "nice bass".

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #25,274 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking at getting either the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or Sennheiser HD650, both pretty much the same price as I can get the Sennheisers cheaper grey importing them from Hong Kong to Australia as i can get from Amazon in the U.S. (Australian prices are damn expensive)

Using them in my home studio. Will output out of my Mac Pro into my RME Fireface 400 i'm also thinking of getting the SPL Auditor or Dangerous Music The Source.

Benefits of the Source can switch between my Adam A7s and headphones and can use it with my Macbook Pro (i'm leaning this way)

SPL Auditor i'm guessing is better in quality, but i'd have to use a seperate set of outputs on my fireface, which there aren't many.

Headpones - Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or Sennheiser HD650

Headphone Amp/Output switch - Dangerous Music The Source or SPL Auditor

Or another similarly prices alternative

Don't know your equipment.  You can read about both cans (or at least the 600 Ohm DT 880 Premium), which are excellent at what they do, as well others here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #25,275 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
    First off, this is a great idea for a forum thread to limit clutter. Now down to business. I have owned a pair of Sennheiser 600s for 1 1/2 or so and am extremely happy with their sound signature and comfort. I also own a pair of Grado SR80s and I while I like their unique flavor (especially on the more guitar oriented albums) the comfort is a huge turn-off for me.

So my question would be, what headphones would you recommend ($800 and under) to give me that same sweet electric and especially acoustic guitar sound with a bit more comfort. I am particularly interested in artists like Elliot Smith, Nick Drake, etc. artists who sit there for 10 minutes between each song re-tuning their guitars. I am also partial to Rickenbacker guitar sound of the 60s and the indie and power pop jangle guitar sounds.

The point of these headphones would be to compliment, more accurately, contrast Sennheisser's more laid back (which I do thoroughly enjoy) sound. The primary use of this new pair of headphones would be to accentuate the guitar sound. I look forward to reading people's suggestions, thanks.    

I am also in the process of upgrading my DAC as well, so any suggestions dealing with synergy between your headphone suggestion and a DAC suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.            

Thank you for your reply KG Jag, you can't think of any non Grado recommendations that would fit my description? I Would like to here others thoughts as well. 

The HE 500, but it needs a fairly powerful amp to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back